Roxy Music SHM-SACD catalog releases announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Nov 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Is Avalon a PCM digital recording originally?

2. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

No.

SteelyTom likes this.
  3. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

iirc, analogue multitracks transferred to digital before the originals deteriorated (those tapes now unplayable afaik).. I imagine the stereo mixdown master could still be analogue but I don't know I'm afraid.

SteelyTom likes this.
  4. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Mastered from the DSD masters that was created for the SHM-SACDs?

5. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

And I suppose we could be dealing with Japanese copy tapes of whatever vintage, '82 or later…..

6. fredblue

7. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Thanks, fredblue!

fredblue likes this.
  8. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

In this thread you see pictures of the 30ips stereo mixdown tape cover boxes....analogue tapes.

fredblue likes this.
  9. fredblue

A distinct possibility.. although I vaguely remember reading one time that the original stereo of Avalon was on different tape stock to the multitrack and is fine. I'm sure someone here will know for sure :)

So, with the SHM-SACDs... new vinyl box set on the way.. I'm wondering how far off those Deluxe Box sets of the first two albums (with Steven Wilson remixes) can be....??

SteelyTom likes this.
  10. fredblue

There's your answer @SteelyTom :D :righton:

11. fredblue

Thank you @Espen R :tiphat:

12. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

So from users impressions so far these are good to go? No clipping, good DR?

If they are just high res versions of the recent CD boxset that will be great.

fredblue likes this.
  13. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Why is this a concern? Universal Japan has been knocking it out of the park for some time now. The mastering work for these was handled in the UK, likely by the guy who did Sex Pistols, but I can't recall his name. If these were hi-res versions of any other mastering, then they would disclose that (as with Lennon).

I've given S/T and Avalon a spin. Didn't listen super close but enough to say that the sound is really, really impressive.

fredblue likes this.
  14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

fredblue likes this.
  15. SilvaHaloOne

SilvaHaloOne Member

Hi,
    Long time reader here, but this is the first time I have ever been inclined to post. Roxy Music is my favorite rock band from the 70's and I have just about every pressing (vinyl and CD) that has been released in the United States so far, including the most recent Complete Studio Recordings, which I am extremely happy with. I'm very interested in what people have to say about the sound quality of these SACD's, as I have never gone through the process of importing from Japan myself and most of the American sellers I have dealt with are asking >$50 per album. I get that this is subjective, but what I'm most interested in is if you feel the leap to DSD makes enough of a difference that you feel the purchase was justified over the already excellent sounding box set released a few years back.
    Thanks!

16. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

I am keen to buy Avalon pending a few more positive comments on the SQ. Its the only Roxy album I know, if you were to buy 3 albums that best represent this band what would they be ?

Avalon
    Country Life
    Siren
    or ?

17. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

For me:

Roxy Music
    For Your Pleasure
    Stranded

But it depends whether or not you like the more avant-garde Roxy Music.

Tim

zikarus, stevepafford and Mondie like this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I've only ever owned 3 Roxy Music albums, so am not best qualified here to help you. However, Flesh & Blood is very good. Closest in time and feel to Avalon. Manifesto is OK, featuring the 2 big UK hits, Dance Away and Angel Eyes.

19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Which versions of Angel Eyes and Dance Away are on Manisfesto?

Dino likes this.
  20. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

You can always wait for the upcoming deluxe releases. Cheaper and more content.

Are people buying these SACD'S also planning on getting those?

21. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Thanks Tim and Bobby, a few for me to sample before I hunt them down on JPC. Avant garde is probably not my thing

22. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

A good mix would be For Your Pleasure, Manifesto and Avalon.

simon-wagstaff likes this.
  23. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Country Life anyone? My first impressions of S/T and Avalon have been very good, but early on I prefer the box set for Country Life. The SHM-SACD may be more revealing and certain parts might be better, but the too frequent harshness in the treble is a real downer. Very early first impression: thumbs down

24. stevepafford

stevepafford Well-Known Member

If you've started with Avalon the best thing to do is work your way backwards in reverse chronological order. Otherwise the first two or three albums are gonna be one hell of a shock :D

Bobby Morrow and fredblue like this.
  25. SilvaHaloOne

SilvaHaloOne Member

My personal top 3 are
    1.) Avalon
    2.) For Your Pleasure
    3.) Manifesto

Some people might argue that Manifesto at #3 is out of place, and I fully acknowledge that, but I connect really well with some of the album tracks, such as "Stronger Through the Years" and "Still Falls the Rain." Stranded is an excellent album, if one were to take my personal attachments out of the equation, I think it would be up there in Manifesto's place. It has elements I think one would consider avant-garde, but it is still very accessible and enjoyable. It was the first of early Roxy Music I was made aware of and I feel that listening to it and enjoying it eased me into the ability to enjoy their first two albums, which might not be quite as accessible.

And I don't know if getting these SACD's would be in addition to or instead of Deluxe Releases. Even if I do get the SACD's, I'm sure I will evaluate the contents and the reviews of the sound quality of the deluxe sets and make the decision at that time. I'm certainly open to anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.