Roy Halee--Ace Engineer's career / Lovin' Spoonful

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gardo, Mar 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Thanks Gardo, finally got it, after many refresh attempts.

2. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist Thread Starter

Something weird with the server there. They seem to be redoing their web structure, too. It is a wonderful interview though; well worth the trouble IMO.

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Is Summer In The City the only LS song that Hal Blaine plays drums on? Never knew he did before(or that it was cut at Columbia), but can now recognise his genius.

4. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Since "Hums..." is also my favorite LS album, I did a comparison between 3 different CD versions that I have. The first two, 1989 Repertoire W. German version and a 1995 RCA/BMG two-fer that also includes "Do You Believe In Magic", sound dull & lifeless. The latter, mastered by Tony May using Cedar Audio Restoration, requires cranking up the volume to reach normal listening levels.

The new Buddha BMG/Heritage version , mastered by Bob Irwin & Jayme Pieruzzi, definitely sounds as if a better source tape is used. It sounds more lifelike, with more detail & depth than previous versions. The Lovin' Spoonful used many different instuments, and it's easier to distinguish each one on the new reissue. There is room for improvement -- I would like to hear some more tube-warmth to smooth out the edges -- but all things considered, the new reissues of the LS catalog are the best CD versions I've heard. I also certainly would have liked to have mono versions included, but maybe those mix tapes are lost. I have both stereo & mono Kama Sutra LP versions of "Daydream" and "Hums..." and I find that I spend more time listening to the mono ones. Guess they remind me of the first time I heard all those great songs on AM radio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.