RSD 2015 sound reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Bernhardt, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

This sounds intriguing. Think I'll grab one since it's still available at a number of places. Thanks!

2. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I'm listening to "Genesis" by The Gods. I'm a sucker for these Parlophone mono psych lps. Nice punchy mono. Love the colored vinyl. The Tomorrow lp was great as well. I'm curious about that Rainbow Ffolly lp. It was an impulse buy and I have no idea what to expect except that it will look cool.

spindly likes this.
  3. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

Have only had time to spin the "Tomorrow" mono from RSD so far. Sounds great to me. A wee bit on the aggressive side maybe, in my system at least. I switched to my tube pre to mellow things out a bit and it worked like a charm. Can't compare it to anything as it's actually the first time I've heard this album. No pressing problems to report.

4. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I bought these three and skipped the Lord Sitar. I'm a sucker for them too and I have the three from last RSD (Idle Race, July & Yardbirds). Sound wise, all 3 are fantastic and were clean, flat pressings. Dead silent with nary a pop or tick. As far as enjoyable.. Tomorrow was my fave, followed by The Gods and Rainbow Ffolly pulling up 3rd. I didn't dislike it, but the Tomorrow LP was so good that it made the others pale in comparison. Just my tastes.. Wasn't really familiar with any of the three before this RSD, though.

rswitzer likes this.
  5. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

The RSD release of Otis Blue was cut by The Mastering Lab on the Master Lathe for the Mono & Stereo LP. The included single does NOT have the telltale TML stamp. It has no mastering info.

Chris Bellman wasn't involved in this one it seems.

And.. I'm sorry to all of those having skipping problems with their mono copy. Mine is just fine. No skips.. Jacket # 7345, whatever that really means.

jgrillo and ShawnX like this.
  6. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

FWIW, I did not experience this issue when listening to my copy.

7. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

Just played the Tess Parks/ Anton Newcombe 10". Nonplussed. It seems to have non fill issues to an unlistenable level, although it's hard to tell with the clear vinyl.

Mastodon- Atlanta. It's aPicture disc, but it sounds fine to me. A bit lifeless, but I'm not complaining.

Willie Nelson--as others have stated, minor pops to begin track 1, side 1, but I didn't clean it. Other than that, awesome presence, killer sound. Loving it.

Temples Live ep- clean/ quiet quality press, orange vinyl. Sounds rich and full, on first listen the performance seemed lackluster, but I still enjoyed it and will listen again with a different frame of mind!

8. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Anyone get their hands on the Herbie Hancock Maiden Voyage green vinyl RSD reissue?

[​IMG]

Brudy and Davidmk5 like this.
  9. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

You have, by the looks of it.

10. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

No, I just grabbed that image off the 'net.

11. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I think it's more for his solo/White Stripes live shows. I saw the Stripes in 2003 and they were great. But yeah, There are not many of his tunes that I find memorable on record.

12. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I saw it, but did not buy it - due to redudancy.

13. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I'm hoping for more in this vein come November and nominate Nirvana (UK)'s Story of Simon Simopath that originally came out on Island.

14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Redudancy. I like it. It means a propensity for repeated stinkers. Like Adam Sandler movies.

15. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/ultimate-outer-5-0-record-sleeve-p/9380.htm

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/diskeeper-ultimate-audiophile-inner-sleeve-p/312nlps.htm

These are the best sleeves I've come across in the last 5 years. I also order their regular poly inner sleeve (same as Mofi) for certain albums, also the double poly inner sleeve is really nice for 2-lps sets crammed in one jacket. They've also just introduced an oversized outer sleeve that works perfectly for the larger deluxe gatefold lps.

I typically place one large bulk order a year (to save on shipping expenses - $10 or less) and I only order when they send out 15-20% off promos. I think you automatically get one by liking them on Facebook or something.

16. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Music Matters version all the way!

17. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

Okay...I'm saying this half-jokingly, but my copy of RPM Turntable Baseball sounds like crap. The volume is quite low and there is lot of surface noise (clicks, pops), with this constant swishing sound throughout. I know it is a novelty record, but come on! For the amount of effort that went into designing/creating it (it is pretty neat...even my digitally-minded 12-year old son thinks it's pretty cool ;)), you'd think that they would try to produce something that sounds somewhat good (for what it is). It IS a Record Store Day release after all...

Not sure if anyone else who picked this up has had a similar listening experience. Was last year's RPM Turntable Football vinyl the same?

18. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

You said it perfectly. I was about to state very similar.

I have to give Jack his due credit, especially as a savvy businessman. He became "Mr. Analog" before he ever intentionally released an all analog lp. If I'm not mistaken, Icky Thump mastered by Hoffman/Gray was the first real successful all analog White Stripes release. I think this was the choice of WB and not Jack, same with Raconteurs COTL. Next you have the EU Elephant which may or may not be AAA but this was on XL. After this is when TMR started releases the Stripes back catalog AAA. Early on, Jack even made some erroneous comments about not hearing the difference between a 16/44 cut and analog (paraphrasing). I guess that the original Elephant stampers are all analog but it was never readily available until last RSD.

Jack also noticed the collectible aspect of these things and is so successful, he can make people want to collect special 7" lps, which we know aren't designed for sound quality. He takes it a step further with all his super "jello infused vinyl that plays upside down when you shoot vodka" vinyl releases. He's a genius in this aspect. I also think he is good for the vinyl revival.

Beyond all this, he's a really good musician who can write great songs. I also think he knows how to put down a simple catchy riff with the ability to make a heavier older sounding song reach the modern masses. The man does have the mojo!

24voltsdc, spindly, GullGutt and 2 others like this.
  19. AnalogJ

I'm guessing that they actually incorporated infield dirt into the vinyl compound. And think of the swishing as the roar of the crowd. How's the game itself?

20. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

This.

Makes it worthwhile to see what The Mastering Lab has done with the stereo as well as what many here say is a great sounding mono disc (minus any pressing flaws as mentioned before). They cut the Pain In My Heart LP from the original masters, what one of their engineers told me in an email was "the coolest tape to have playing in-house for that session" or something like that. Let's hope they got those Otis:Blue tapes too for this Rhino job. Regardless, happy listening and thanks for the commentary!

21. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

That would certainly make it more authentic. ;)

The game itself is great. My son is amazed that they have produced something - without the use of a computer - that creates a different outcome every time. LOL

Mij Retrac likes this.
  22. skuhn8

skuhn8 Forum Resident

My small haul (I'm in Hungary):

Sly & The Family Stone: Live At Fillmore East - 2nd listen right now and I love the presence. The hiss between tracks is very quiet and reminds me more of a tape hiss (perhaps from original tapes?)

Ride OX4 - sounds good but I haven't A/B'd the only two tracks I have overlapping with my only Ride album (Rhino 180 gram). I have the EU pressing which I understand differs from US RSD pressing.

Slowdive Blue Day - beautiful dead quiet pressing on blue vinyl. As you'd expect from MOV. I never heard an original pressing so can't compare. But this is sensational to my ears.

Was itching for the Stooges release but just couldn't justify the price for a bootleg quality listen. Is the included poster the same as the cover? Is it big? Local shop still has a few copies. Also of Happy Mondays.

goldwax likes this.
  23. AnalogJ

O
    Or at least 6 different outcomes every time, eh?

Perhaps the sound quality problem has to do with the company used in the manufacturing of the lacquers, Home Plate plating service. They employ umpires to sweep the plated lacquers.

Davidmk5, Larry Loves LPs and ptijerm like this.
  24. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

In fact, what makes this game so interesting is that - while there are a defined number of grooves - being able to steal bases means that each game can have different scoring innings and, ultimately, a different final score/outcome. It's quite a bit of fun.

That would make sense. I've also determined that the swooshing sound I'm hearing is actually the sound of the players chewing tobacco...very authentic!

25. reg slade

reg slade Forum Resident

Was itching for the Stooges release but just couldn't justify the price for a bootleg quality listen. Is the included poster the same as the cover? Is it big? Local shop still has a few copies. Also of Happy Mondays.[/QUOTE]

The Stooges poster is pretty sizable, it def will ease any monetary pains...worthy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.