RSD 2015 sound reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Bernhardt, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K_Snow

K_Snow Forum Resident

I have all 3 volumes of R&B Hipshakers. My kids love to get down to them. They sound great and are a lot of fun. Before these comps I didn't know most of the songs on here.
    Also wanted to mention my Otis Blue. My copy has no skips. I'm playing it on a Garrard SL95 w/ a Shure V15 tIV.

Blender likes this.
  2. Lethrus

Lethrus Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. Still waiting on my RSD Bullmoose order that includes this LP. :)

leeroy jenkins likes this.
  3. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

How does it sound?

4. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I'm listening to the mono Otis Blue for the first time, and I agree that it sounds excellent. I don't have an original to compare with, but this was really well done. Everything sounds really well balanced.

Tommyboy and uphoria6 like this.
  5. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Someone was asking about the Elvis 78. I just got it from Third Man. I'm a vault member and they were selling leftovers for list price. Anyway, not sure on the microgroove question but side one plays fine on my AT-LP120 which can play 78rpm. However, the second side is extremely off center to the point I stopped playing it fearing my needle was being damaged. Might ask for a replacement but have a feeling this is the case with most.

The vinyl recreates scratches and blemishes from the original acetate. Also the the same center labels.

6. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I don't recall my Side B being off center. I'll try again later today.

Haven't played it yet :p I'll post once I do

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I think the Ride LP sounds somewhat thin as well. My copy was well pressed and quiet.

8. MikeT

All 4 sides of my copy were flat, but the vinyl was a bit noisy... A cleaning helped a bit. And yes I noticed some sides were cut very slightly off center, which was so imperceptible as to be a non- issue.

9. MikeT

Sun Ra, Calling Planet Earth. Nice pressing, quiet vinyl, sonics fine for what this is..a live recording from 1971.

johnnypaddock and carledwards like this.
  10. Sergeant Pepper

Sergeant Pepper Forum Resident

Does anyone own the 7-inch "Faintly Growing" with "Black Fjord" and "If you so wish" by Kaleidoscope (UK)?
    It's my all-time favourite UK psych band! I'm desperately searching for this single...Would love to hear how the tracks sound etc....

11. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

I managed to score one of the (apparently) few copies of Ian Dury - New Boots and Panties. It sounds good compared to my original 1978 Stiff promo copy but it's a disappointing pressing. At least a dozen clicks on just Side 1. Side 2 and the bonus disc are somewhat better but still not great. Cleaning doesn't help. Anybody else get this one?

12. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

I picked this up earlier today. Spinning the mono record right now and I think it sounds stellar. Rhino does great work. The Doors - Strange Days mono is great too. Very impressed with Rhino
    [​IMG]

YouKnowEyeKnow and johnnypaddock like this.
  13. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

14. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

here is one i have on order that has not shipped yet , but i have seen Copies in stores & was kinda bummed it's pretty much 3 0r 4 songs done in Multiple takes ? But everyone on here says it sounds amazing .......so i'll certainly enjoy it if & whne mine shows up . ;)

15. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

The Sly and Slim Dunlap sets are the bomb!!

black sheriff and MikeT like this.
  16. Hank

Hank Senior Member

Yes, I was surprised at how good the Parker sounds, given age of the recordings. And I'm not someone who likes wading through multiple takes, but in this case it makes a good listen, really a pleasure.

Gardo, carledwards and Davidmk5 like this.
  17. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Awesome to hear , hope mine show up this week :righton:

18. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I played my Charlie Parker the other night.This is my first Charlie Parker on vinyl and I really enjoyed it.As others pointed out these are not great recordings to begin with but It sounds smooth non harsh & a perfectly quiet pressing.I was worried it would be fatiguing sounding but I thought it was pleasant to listen to.:)

Prophetzong and Davidmk5 like this.
  19. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Side B is slightly off center. The arm does waver back and forth but at 78rpm the wobble effect is not too bad

20. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident

The Alex Chilton 45 sounds great. Vinyl is super quiet and fidelity is excellent.

The Horton Heat 45 is noisy,like an old Crown LP. Only noticeable in the intro, but still bothersome.

Gardo likes this.
  21. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Listening to 15 Everly Hits - which is in stereo for most tracks - and does sound a little bit like a digital source. Some tape drop outs, and the vinyl is not too clean (lots of pops in between tracks...wish QRP or RTI had pressed this one). Steve Massie did a good job in EQ, levels but seems a little crisp on the sibilant frequencies. Nothing too severe though. The track listing and the flow of the record is really cool, and seeing that I have no Everly Brothers in my collection I thought this one was a good one to try. Overall I am happy but not impressed with who pressed this.

22. reg slade

reg slade Forum Resident

Yep! Just like the cover, but way f++kin bigger!!!

skuhn8 likes this.
  23. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident Thread Starter

Going through my 45's again today .

The Dil's is really rockin'. sounds great.

I just started on the Ork box, also loving that

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The guy who wrote the liner notes was rough on Miles Davis

25. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Anybody else get a damaged Robert Plant? Just opened mine and a chip out of the edge almost into the music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.