RSD 2015 sound reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Bernhardt, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Anyone had any problems with Blackberry Smoke's 'Wood, Wire & Roses' EP ? I think mine's been pressed a fraction off-centre.

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I sampled some stuff from this show online. What I heard sounded a bit safe and tame compared to his heroes (akin to Pat Boone compared to Little Richard).

3. AnalogJ

I decided to ultimately pass. I love the UK retro style wraparound cover. This is the kind of thing, though, that RSD should be about.

4. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I was thinking about the Sessions '64 EP. Besides being noisy, how's the SQ?

5. EdogawaRampo

Oooohhh not fair at all, especially based on a few samples. His vocal style is a bit safe, but the keyboarding and band are very cool on the records I have. No, he's not Little Richard, but no, he's a long way from Pat Boone too.

I never tire of Yeh Yeh.

6. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Sounds great. there's only a couple songs per side but with a mono & stereo mix of each. If you're interested, I might sell mine.

7. EdogawaRampo

Hi, thanks, but since I'm on the other side of the world from you, if I pull the trigger I'd just go for the new one in Tokyo.

I was wondering, though, about The Timers cover of No-Go Showboat. Been decades since I heard it and I seem to remember the vocalist doing the falsettos couldn't quite pull it off...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  8. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

76?!? Oh wow....that is unjust.

9. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

I have the RSD of Supergrass, I wonder if the Previously unreleased song will end up being on the 20th anniversary release of I Should Coco.
    may wait on opening them up.

10. AnalogJ

Well, it's good to know, and I realize it was just a small sample. I know where I can get a copy at a record store, but at just over $30, I would have high expectations that the music and sound is great and worthwhile. Is it, from your perspective? (And I know I was being a bit hyperbolic with that analogy, but I normally prefer my soul with an edge).

11. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

Although I think the Georgie Fame record is fun, I wouldn't say it has "edge" overall. A wicked horn solo and a cool organ solo were a few of the stand-out moments: .

12. EdogawaRampo

The RSD release? Don't know -- haven't heard it yet, but for British Beat-era soul, his Fame At Last Lp is very cool, his early hit Yeh Yeh is fantastic (IMO), but I'm not sure you'd say it had 'edge' -- it's on the trad side. But I love the swingy vibe of his band and his keyboarding.

[​IMG]

Here's

13. AnalogJ

There was another RSD release, an EP called Soul. I might be more interested in this, partly because it would be a less costly alternative.

14. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

You can buy one direct from the label that made them - while they last:

http://omnivorerecordings.com/music/sessions-64/

Just got mine today but haven't played it yet.

15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Anyone else have the Bert Jansch? I picked this up today along with The Doors Mono LP...

16. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Yeah, picked a copy up today too.
    Seems the shop ordered and received a few more copies. Opened it but it remains unplayed.

17. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Never saw it to get it!

18. AnalogJ

I'm playing the Curtis Fuller Blues-ette on Savoy from RSD. While the mastering isn't going to be mistaken for a Music Matters release, it's quite good. It's smoothed and balanced, but doesn't have the incredible juiciness of Kevin Gray's work with MM. It's still very good.

On the other hand, the vinyl is kind of thin, has some of the orange peel sort of surface look to it. There are several instances of minor non-fill, most glaringly between cuts. You also hear it during bass solos, which are mostly the most dynamic passages on the album. It doesn't overwhelm the music (perhaps only during the bass solos is it close to annoying), but it can be heard from time to time. The vinyl also has a low level hiss throughout. It's a close call as to whether I try to find another copy for exchange. What's funny as that at the end of a tune, it sounds like the record just releases a huge fart (non-fill).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  19. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Fair enough. :)

20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Just listened today to my copy of Robert Plant's More Roar. Nice pressing, flat and quiet. I really enjoyed the music - wish we got more! :) The version of "Turn It Up" included on this EP smokes the album version by a mile.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  21. AnalogJ

Cool! :cheers:

22. AnalogJ

I'm playing the Charlie Feathers RSD disc. The vinyl is fairly, but not perfectly quiet. It states on a sticker on the shrink wrap that the singles are "right from the original mono masters!", though does that mean all analog? Dunno. I'm going to guess digital as there's something about the high end, but that IS just a guess.

I can say that the images are huge and music crisp with reasonably rich sonics. There's little below mid-bass, and the top end is a tad bright, at times a bit too much so. While transients are fast, there's a lot of compression here, with little in the way of micro- or macro-dynamics to speak of.

Musically, Feathers, who I hadn't have much familiarity with prior to this, ventures into familiar music territory. By this time in the mid-'50s, you not only had Elvis Presley doing this type of music and vocal mannerisms (the hics and the whoops), but so was Buddy Holly. He may have been an early practitioner of this type of music and important to Sun Records, but there are those who, in my opinion, surpassed him, including Jerry Lee Lewis and, of course, Roy Orbison.

Still, if you're into this type of music and, of course, into vinyl, this is a worthwhile and inexpensive pickup at about $15.

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I went back and bought more RSD releases....

This is very frustrating album. Many of the songs abruptly end as if you are watching the movie and it is time for dialog. I have never before heard a soundtrack that cuts the songs short.

I think I am going to take it back and trade it for store credit.

[​IMG]

24. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

The 7" Dark Globe is quiet and flat. Great song!

25. AnalogJ

Was this a soundtrack to a movie?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.