Rubber Soul VS. Revolver

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hole Got Fixed, May 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Yeah I think me too, though these days I kind of prefer Revolver over Pepper, because I played the latter to death. I'm actually kind of uncomfortable with these comparisons because they require a loser.

Like a lot of people here, for me there was
    Rubber Soul/Yesterday and Today/Revolver
    In those US releases I think I would rank them in that order, at least back in the day.
    Though I think on many of those days I'd put Yesterday and Today 1st!

Today with a complete lack of sincerity I will vote Revolver so I can see the results.
    That said , the UK version we listen to today is far better than the old US album.
    Frankly I haven't spent much time with the proper Rubber Soul, guess I need to.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    notesfrom and ralph7109 like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Both albums titles begin with the letter R

Shaddam IV likes this.
  3. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

They buried the hatchet rather quickly, and then you went and dug it up.
    :shh::shh::shh:

Archtop likes this.
  4. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

It was such an absurd response (calling someone an idiot) to someone simply liking the Rock Band remixes, it needed to be said.

Don’t call someone an idiot for that and faux bury the hatchet “quickly” without deleting your name-calling post.

And I don’t really buy it as there was no apology and person who name called just said they “weren’t insulted”(?!?) and it was actually the person who was called the idiot who buried the hatchet.

Bug who dug it up again after I dug it up?

:shh: ;)

Shaddam IV and Archtop like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

it's all good mate ... i've had a crappy week or more also :cheers:

6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Best fold down?

7. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Anyhow, it's just a remix. All the UK stereo Rubber Soul editions since 1987 have been a remix (save for the 'bonus' '65 stereo mix on the Mono CD box). If someone can bring the vocals down in the mix, compared to Martin's '87, then I don't see how that's necessarily a bad thing.

A lot of us only heard the '87 mix CD version as our introduction to the UK RS, which many of us knew didn't quite sound right due to the remixing. Still doesn't.

Does that version, especially, hold a candle to the US stereo version? You know the answer to that one. :)

ohnothimagen and Shaddam IV like this.
  8. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Used to be Rubber Soul but now it’s Revolver, both great LPs

alexpop likes this.
  9. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

First of all, it was stupid of me, and I now officially and formally apologize to @Shaddam IV , who probably doesn't need it (based on his response last night, but I still offer it) and I also apologize to the forum at large. I am not incapable of being an idiot myself. If we could all take things a bit less seriously, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

There was absolutely nothing "faux" about my comment. It was genuine. You are correct in that I should have deleted my original comment, but things just didn't go that way. Again, my bad.

Lastly, I do get my hackles up against video music games, whatever that means. As someone who used my hard-earned skills to supplement my income in tough financial times by playing double bass in a jazz trio, I just don't care for the trivialization of what it actually takes to pull that off. Rock Band trivializes that. But, it's certainly no rationale for what I posted. It's done, I'm an idiot, and I hope we're done here.

10. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

A real diplomat here, folks! Looking for common ground :)

alexpop likes this.
  11. alexpop

Spoiled for choice.

tinnox likes this.
  12. anthony_beat

anthony_beat Forum Resident

BOTH! Some of the best work! My favorite couple

Greenalishi likes this.
  13. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

For the record re: the Rock Band "Rubber Soul" mix haha:

I don't think the sound is very good. Also, some of the mixes are less than ideal - it was after all mixed for a video game. For instance, the vocals on "If I Needed Someone" are not spread enough for me. However, it's a great alternate listen, and I do enjoy it considering the options.

14. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

If the poll were between the following 5 albums I would rank them in this order,

1. UK Revolver
    2. UK Rubber Soul
    3. US Yesterday And Today
    4. US Rubber Soul
    5. US Revolver

15. Great post. For the last week I've been doing a 'shoot-out' of sorts between 'Rubber Soul' & 'Revolver', coming to the conclusion that I positively love 'Rubber Soul'.
    The 2014 mono LP is absolutely killer for tracklist & sonics: The Beatles - Rubber Soul

Clonesteak likes this.
  16. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

I love revolving soul...such a great double album.

Greenalishi and majorlance like this.
  17. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

For us older ones the USA version of Rubber Soul was better than the USA version of Revolver, at least for me it was.
    But when I heard the UK versions in the late 1970's via imported LPs it blew my mind. The UK Revolver was like I got a new Beatles album.

18. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

This.

19. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

These are my two favorite Beatles albums, by a mile.

Revolver. Great album for a Friday afternoon when you get off early and crack open a cold beer.

Old Rusty and ohnothimagen like this.
  20. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I thought the UK versions were screwed up. Still do.

YardByrd likes this.
  21. BeaTleBob5

BeaTleBob5 John, Paul, George, Ringo & Bob

Rubber Soul.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  22. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Probably Revolver, but I personally prefer the American version of Rubber Soul.

YardByrd likes this.
  23. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

UK is only canon version I actively avoid... I have only Capitol LP and on purpose these days... Car and Nowhere Man don't work for me on album (the latter doesn't work for me anywhere)...

24. alexpop

US Beatle fan?

25. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Yes... born '68 but bought RS brand new in 1980-ish as purple Capitol... got CD in '89 with UK tracklist but never cottoned to it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.