Rubber Soul VS. Revolver

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hole Got Fixed, May 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG47

SG47 Forum Resident

Hard choice as these are probably my 2 favorite Beatles albums, goin with Rubber Soul.

2. Kavorka

Kavorka Chief Bottle Washer

Comparing Revolver to Rubber Soul is like comparing the Beatles to Byrds.

All Down The Line likes this.
  3. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Revolver for me after listening to both albums for awhile. I love experimentation feel of it that makes me come back for more.

Is there a reason why most don't like Yellow Submarine? I think it sounds great!

Mr.La Page likes this.
  4. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Interesting, as they're so often thought of as a pair.... Probably as compared to everything up to that point; and after, since they're physically still moptops on these. I tend to think of Help > Rubber Soul as the biggest jump, but the lines blur more on the UK versions since "I've Just Seen a Face" is on Help. Magical Mystery Tour > White Album is dramatic, too. But I can totally respect your point. Like our preferences for the albums themselves, there's more than one right answer as compelling cases can be made at several junctures.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  5. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Rubber Soul (U.S.) for me...

This is the album where the Beatles grew up & in doing so so did us listeners....

No more moptops...

The album covers contingency, infidelity,mourning & loss , childhood memories , dark tales of mortality , love etc etc...

It is also where the Beatles reinvented pop music from the inside out therefore changing music forever....

The US edition is the only time that Capitol Records made a Beatles edit that was actually better than the bands version.....

I don't rate songs but every track on the US edition is a 10 while on the UK you have the lackluster What Goes On & Drive My Car respectively...

Although the U.S. lacks Nowhere Man which is in the top 3 of my fav Beatle John performances I still prefer Tell Me What You See & I've Just Seen A Face to What Goes On & Drive My Car...

IMO RS (U.S.) is the Beatles greatest achievement...

With Revolver (UK) a close second

GimmieSomeTruth likes this.
  6. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Easy.
    1 We Can Work It Out
    2 Day Tripper
    3 Paperback Writer
    4 Rain

7. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

If pushed, I'd probably go with the Rubber Soul pairing, too. But Rain is a masterpiece IMO, and even with its trite lyrics Paperback Writer is a perfectly crafted pop song with a killer lead guitar tone & bass lines.

GimmieSomeTruth and Hermes like this.
  8. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I just finished reading Kenneth Womack's fine initial volume of a two-part release, Maximum Volume: The Life of Beatles Producer George Martin, The Early Years, 1926–1966.
    For what it's worth, it ends with the release of Rubber Soul, citing it as a breakthrough album by the lads in all respects.

9. GimmieSomeTruth

GimmieSomeTruth Well-Known Member

US Rubber Soul>Revolver... however Eleanor Rigby and I'm Only Sleeping are two of my favorite McCartney and Lennon songs of all time. These two albums feel like they belong together with RS being the acoustic flavor and Revolver being the more rock flavored. Both A+

10. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Went Revolver.:laughup:

11. Samantha Wolf

Samantha Wolf I bite when angry...

I would give Rubber Soul a slight edge based on ‘In My Life’ and ‘Norwegian Wood’

GimmieSomeTruth and fogalu like this.
  12. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Revolver for me as I feel it to be so musically forward looking from their 50's roots influences and shockingly contemporary and ahead of the curve.
    If they were pulling level or ahead of Dylan it sure did not happen with their 1965 releases.

Mr.La Page likes this.
  13. papatwo

papatwo Abiding Member

I chose Revolver. Although, Rubber Soul is the perfect lead up to Revolver.

Mr.La Page likes this.
  14. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Pretty much tied for me, and sticking to the "main sequence" of Beatles releases, they'd probably be tied in slots 5/6 for me.

I rank them:

The White Album
    Magical Mystery Tour (US)
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band/Abbey Road (pretty much tied at #s 3/4)
    Revolver/Rubber Soul

15. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Poll results seem correct. Rubber Soul is of its time. Some were more advanced - Donovan at around the same time recorded "Sunshine Superman"- way ahead of the curve in 1965. But with Revolver they zoomed past their rivals and into the future.

Hootsmon, notesfrom and TimB like this.
  16. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

That is the best answer one could put to these 2 albums

17. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Rubber Soul was a seismic shift from their previous efforts. Revolver was more of an aftershock.

rockerreds likes this.
  18. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

To me Rubber Soul is more akin to Help! than Revolver i.e. Rubber Soul is Pt.2 of Help! more so than Rubber Soul being Pt.1 of Revolver

( IMHO, sorry Mr Harrison )

maui jim, Big Blue, nedison and 2 others like this.
  19. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

"Michelle" is on Rubber Soul, so it loses by default.

Worst song by the Beatles not named "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)"

:nyah:

20. AceRizzle

AceRizzle Yeah I love the Strokes, you old fogies.

There will NEVER be another Revolver. I love Rubber Soul, but it's not even in the same galaxy.

21. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I always think of these two as twin albums. Just so similar to me. Could not chose. Love 'em both. Just magic music. Best stuff they ever put out.

GimmieSomeTruth likes this.
  22. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Love Both, but Soul does not have the cohesive sound and variety Revolver has plus Michelle is pretty trite and it has What Goes On which is The Beatles at throwaway worst.
    Revolver still sounds fresh and contemporary today which is no mean feat for a 54 year old album.

23. nedison

nedison Peter Blegvad's #1 Fan

I'd also dock a point for ending with Run For Your Life. That song never sat well with me, especially knowing John's history up to that point.

24. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I like the UK Revolver over the UK Rubber Soul but I like the US Rubber Soul over the US Revolver but I prefer the US Yesterday And Today over both of the US's Rubber Soul & Revolver
    clear enough;)

notesfrom likes this.
  25. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

That theory (pt1- Help to pt2 Rubber Soul) makes a lot more sense to me compared to the well worn story of the pt1-Rubber Soul is to pt2 Revolver.

AFOS and YpsiGypsy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.