Rush 2112 40th Anniversary Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opiumden, Nov 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just received my cd/DVD today and I'm loving it. The cover versions are really special- my expectations were low, but they are done extremely well. The Massey content is awesome- would love a remixed version with less hall ambience.

the DVD content is also great. I would have killed to have this when I was sixteen and just getting into this s album.

My advice is to get it if you're on the fence. It's RUSH!

2. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Apparently, a 40th anniversary edition of A Farewell to Kings is in the works, at least according to Alex Lifeson.

RUSH recently celebrated the 40th anniversary of its landmark 1976 album "2112" with a deluxe reissue featuring rare live and previously unreleased material, and, according to Lifeson, "right now there's some work being done on a similar thing with [1977's] 'A Farewell To Kings'." He said: "We're not really involved in that so much; it's a record-company thing, or a publisher thing. We like to be slightly involved, in just giving approvals and make sure that everything's done in a way that we would like to see it."

Power Windows..A Tribute To RUSH: Alex Lifeson talks Rush's future and A Farewell to Kings 40th Anniversary Release

I'm kinda disappointed as I wanted to see Signals (and even Hold Your Fire :shh:) get the treatment, but as AFTK is far more loved by the fanbase than those 2, it's a logical choice. Here's hoping for some unreleased concert footage or at least some audio. Even some outtakes would be nice. I don't think cover versions would be a logical choice this time as they were a love it\hate it thing on the 2112 reissue.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  3. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

It would be a bit early for a 40th anniversary edition of "Signals". :sigh:

4. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

For Signals, I meant 35th, and 30th for Hold Your Fire. I can see what you mean though. :D

JulesRules likes this.
  5. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

It's still ridiculously expensive in the UK and I find that extremely frustrating... Just saying.

6. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

What? The CD/DVD set?? Picked this up in FOPP a couple of months back for £8, if memory serves.

7. moomaloo

Sorry, should have made it clear - the vinyl. Not the deluxe thing, just the 3 LP set - still about £70 (and up...)

8. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

£30 here 2112 - 40th ANNIVERSARY X 3 LP

moomaloo likes this.
  9. moomaloo

Thanks Chris!

10. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Is there anything new on Farewell to Kings 40th? I am really just hoping that they improve on the concept of these deluxe sets from 2112. After a fantastic St Pepper 2112 looks even thinner and less relevant. Perhaps it has more to do with it being the second deluxe version but I actually only half listened to it and it's now just sitting on the shelf.

11. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I do think this version of 2112 could be the best sounding CD out there. (Still pull out the Mobile Fidelity sometimes though) That was a surprise to me as I got it for the live tracks.

As far as A Farewell To Kings is concerned. His reference earlier in the year is the only one I've heard. There hasn't been a peep since. There was the Record Store Day release of the Cygnuses and part of me has always thought that's what he meant.

That said, they seem to have an annual holiday release planned every year so maybe this is it?

Not sure what they could offer other than sonic improvement. They could offer up the audience bootleg pre-release version of Xanadu I suppose from their first UK Tour in June 1977. A doc of the making of the album would be nice too, but I'm not sure the band is going to be heavily involved in any of this other than to maybe sign off on it at this point.

The most relevant releases in terms of archive material have been Different Stages and the R30 and R40 boxes. The rest of them have been piecemeal enough to draw in the hardcore fan base.

ModernDayWarrior likes this.
  12. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

If you watch Beyond The Lighted Stage there's a part in there where there's proshot color footage of them in the 70's which looks to be around either the King's or Hemispheres era. I'm thinking it might be another film from the Capital Theater where the black and white footage came from. They played there on those tours as well. I'm hoping a full show unearths sometime soon. To me that is the holy grail now
    A nice documentary about going to England for the first time to record and tour would be a nice bonus also. Maybe a full audio soundboard from the King's tour as well. A proper Steven Wilson 5.1 audio a AFTK would be incredible also.

13. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

If they want to release these 40th Anniversary Editions right now, now is a good time for Steven Wilson to remix their catalogue into 5.1... but I'm really impressed with Sean Magee's remasters so maybe, like Marillion's Misplaced Childhood, I would rather that Terry Brown's production not be tampered with. Chris Kimsey's production on Misplaced Childhood was superb, and maybe it was a good thing that Wilson never created a new stereo mix in the first place.

But all I really want right now, is a new Magee remaster of Clockwork Angels. I was thoroughly impressed with his remaster of Snakes and Arrows, as it felt like listening to the album again for the first time. :)

14. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Nobody seems to know where that came from. Could be from Passaic or maybe it was from a news clip about the band similar to the Varsity Stadium soundcheck footage from 1979.

There is a rumor that an ex-employee of the Capitol Theater is sitting on a Rush Hemispheres show from that venue, but nothing on that front seems to have changed.

15. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

I saw Rush at the Capital theater on the Hemispheres tour in '79. It was glorious!!!

16. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

That's the show in question. Who knows if the rumor is true...

17. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I’ve been listening to the deluxe box this week. The vinyl sounds good but has numerous clicks and pops even after cleaning. I like the packaging, but wish the original artwork was present. The DVD is nice but I think it was a missed opportunity to not include the five one mix previously released as well as the 2112 classic Albums documentary. I enjoyed the cover versions and think they are a refreshing take. I think that if they were separated out along with the farewell to kings covers on a separate quote unquote tribute to rush CD people may enjoy them more in that context. They are very well done and heartfelt, regardless of whether rush as a band you can actually successfully cover or not. Overall, like the farewell to kings box I think these sets are a bit overpriced. I also get the sense that real fans aren’t curating and compiling these boxes. They would benefit from a fan’s perspective and passion.

ytserush, Plan9 and Ken.e. like this.
  18. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

They could have done some things differently. They could have released more than just 2112 and Something For Nothing from the run of Massey Hall shows for starters.

But yeah, so far it seems these reissues haven't been very fan friendly. A Farewell To Kings was a slight improvement and at least they used the old front cover image and the art seemed to fit a little more contextually than the 2112 reissue.

19. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I finally picked up a copy of this dirt cheap on eBay. The original album sounds great. The cover songs are okay. The live version of Twilight Zone is an abomination. Why in the world would you include such a poor recording?

20. ModernDayWarrior

Probably because there’s no soundboard recordings of it. I think there’s only 2 audience recordings that exist with that song on it since they rarely played it. I guess they wanted to include it just for posterity sake.

21. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Historical interest. Here's what it sounded like. It wasn't good. That's why the band dropped it from the set.

22. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I like the song. I like the performance. But the recording is crap.

23. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

The kicker is that there are better versions of that performance on You Tube than the one that ended up being used.

But as has been said, there aren't a lot of versions to choose from.

24. ModernDayWarrior

A local radio station here in NJ was giving away vinyl all week in celebration of Record Store Day. I ended up winning the super deluxe version of 2112. Nice score :)

The Hud, ytserush, Johnny Reb and 2 others like this.
  25. Congratulations! :tiphat:

ModernDayWarrior likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.