Rush A Farewell to Kings 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Oct 19, 2017.

1. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

I think I'm one of the definite few who enjoyed the surround mixes of 2112 and Moving Pictures, but it's been at least three years since I last listened to them. But reading this thread a poster mentioned that SW definitely captured every note individually and it's discernable in the surround mix, I can actually picture it in my head and imagining how it sounds and immediately starved to hear it right away, so unless SW refuses to remix those two classics for whatever reason (maybe not too keen on those albums) I think there is a very strong chance we could get outstanding remixes, at the very least a reissue of the classics in the genre (2112, AFTK, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves and Hemispheres)

2. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Do they have multitracks from each tour?

raimiz1991inc likes this.
  3. raimiz1991inc

I'm not really sure to be honest, maybe a fellow "Rusheon" can answer that. About four years ago I started looking online for complete concerts/bootlegs from the 2112 tour up to Grace Under Pressure and I found excellent quality soundboard material for most of the tours, pretty much up on youtube. The gig I found most incendiary was the Tucson show from 1978, the Hemispheres tour. Basically you get great quality from All the World's a Stage (2112 era) and Exit... Stage Left (Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures), so that pretty much covers a lot for the casual fan, but I think the real gold is in the complete shows and not just compilations, like what they did with the Hammersmith show with this reissue.
    I also found low quality recordings from the Grace Under Pressure tour so my guess is there are multis of at least some gigs from the 2112 tour to the Moving Pictures 1981 tour. Again, I hope someone can shed a light on this. Great question though, I would like to know this myself.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

This boxset is a beauty! Cannot wait to jump into the SW 5.1. Love the ring!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

A concert from that tour has already been released officially, twice: once as part of the Replay X 3 DVD set and then later as a standalone CD.

[​IMG]

6. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Unfortunately, the DVDs and CD from this set are all horrifically brickwalled (and remixed as well). The sound is so harsh and abrasive that I would honestly recommend that you seek the concerts out on VHS, beta, or laserdisc instead.

RangerXT and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. raimiz1991inc

Correct, I heard it once and I really liked it, maybe because I have a personal attachment to the studio album. The problem is it's not the whole gig. A proper complete gig from every tour would be a dream come true. You are right though, there must be multitracks from the tour stored somewhere, what I meant was that I couldn't find a complete concert from the 1984 tour with high quality audio, at least not back then in 2013, maybe something has surfaced now that might be worth checking out. Thanks!

DiabloG, RangerXT and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. raimiz1991inc

I agree, one of the reasons this should be re-released in its entirety, remixed and remastered in a future anniversary set or something. I feel that the band was excellent that night, maybe the sound did much of the damage.

9. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Tell me about it. This is supposed to be a Christmas present from my wife to me. I can’t open it until then. I’m dying over here...

10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

At least I think I'm hearing all sections of 2112 :)

11. pool_of_tears

However, it's way too short...and the cd/dvd are brickwalled...blech!

12. pool_of_tears

The only damage is the loudness of the mixing and/or mastering. I know the original mix is far better on the vhs/laserdisc. Plus, Terry Brown was involved with the audio for the vhs/laserdisc.

raimiz1991inc likes this.
  13. pool_of_tears

How everything up thru Hold Your Fire?

14. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I am an Amazon Prime member and was supposed to have "release day delivery" but it got delayed somehow and isn't coming for a few more days. I asked them what happened in chat and they gave me a $20 credit. So if yours is late from Amazon, worth asking them about it.

Maybe they are leaving out LP's randomly to cut down on costs figuring most people will not even look since they never use them and the 2 or 3 returns from people who do won't be that big a deal ;-)

Rupe33, RangerXT and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Just putting it out there. Seems this is not an isolated incident.

RangerXT likes this.
  16. Loz

Loz Forum Resident

How about everything? :p

raimiz1991inc and RangerXT like this.
  17. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

This set is kind of disappointing in my opinion. It leaves out about half the show (and most of the highlights) and the sound is awful.

A GUP re-release with the full show or another full show remixed would be much more preferred, that way we can finally have good versions of red lenses, kid gloves, and more or less the rest of the entire gup album (After image was played on this tour but not on the night of filming/recording, but if they added in a bonus track of After image from a soundboard they have or another multi-track, that would make me super happy). I just don't know if I want to wait until 2024 to get it lol.

All of the albums from Hemispheres to at least power windows will REALLY benefit from this format of re-releases because we don't have a full show from any of their respective tours. There are some good quality soundboards from Hemispheres that could probably be released (maybe even multi-track, but that's probably unlikely), we know full shows from Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures were recorded on multi-track, Signals soundboard or perhaps even multi-track recordings probably exist deep in the rush vault, there are lots of recordings to choose from for the GUP tours, and also there are multi-track recordings from Power Windows that exist.

18. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

No, around this time period they played every section except "Oracle: The Dream". The first and only time they would play the entire suite was during the Test For Echo tour.

rbichamp, ytserush and JediJoker like this.
  19. pool_of_tears

I swear I hear Oracle: The Dream this live version:

Is it not at the 13:41 mark? It sure sounds like it. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. raimiz1991inc

I wish I could hear the original mix on VHS/Laserdisc but even if I could get ahold of them I haven't got the equipment to play them. Maybe youtube could satisfy the curiosity, but I would like to experience it in the highest quality possible. I'll have to check them out eventually, thanks!

RangerXT likes this.
  21. ModernDayWarrior

And the actual beginning of Discovery as well

22. ModernDayWarrior

If you poke around the net a bit you can find laserdisc rips of ESL, GuP and ASOH videos transferee to dvd. The ASOH one even has Lock and Key which they didn’t even include on the re release. I don’t understand that oversight on their part.

jamesc, RangerXT, ytserush and 3 others like this.
  23. raimiz1991inc

Hold Your Fire is an excelent album! I think Power Windows was a little bump in the road that, in my opinion, stumbled the streak of excellent albums a little bit. Again, with the Hold Your Fire tour we have the A Show of Hands album release, but a complete gig from the tour is yet to reach my ears. Maybe something new has been uploaded since the last time I checked. I would definitely say yes to everything Rush up to Hold Your Fire, and of course that includes Power Windows.:righton:

DiabloG, RangerXT and pool_of_tears like this.
  24. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Nope, that's the beginning of "Soliloquy", after the narrator has woken up from the "Dream".

RangerXT and JediJoker like this.
  25. raimiz1991inc

I would gladly rip the audio from those and compare! The one that bothered me the most in terms of sound quality was the Grace tour CD and the fact that Lock and Key is a laserdisc exclusive kind of irritated me a bit! I'll dig around see what I can find, thanks!

RangerXT and ytserush like this.