Rush A Farewell to Kings 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Oct 19, 2017.

1. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Drum Solo
    Lakeside Park
    Closer To The Heart

2. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Lakeside Park. Probably my favourite Rush song of all time... An odd choice maybe but I just love it.

RangerXT, Ken.e., ytserush and 4 others like this.
  3. Further

Further Forum Resident

Not odd at all. One of their best.

RangerXT, ytserush and pool_of_tears like this.
  4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I was just stating an opinion on the album.

They should’ve had Mr. Wilson do 2112 in the first place. Imagine the 76-87 era Rush albums getting treatment like Tull’s albums did.

5. pool_of_tears

That's about half an hour...roughly 1/3 of the show.

RangerXT and Ken.e. like this.
  6. ModernDayWarrior

My opinion on this set is that it’s much better than the 2112 set. They could drop the covers though and make this set cheaper. The covers are useless imo. If they wanna do bands covering Rush do another tribute album or something. They don’t belong on a Rush album please. The complete Hammersmith and the Surround mix are nice but like it’s been said, it should also be available on just a cd/Blu-ray set without the vinyl. The Tull and Yes reissues were fantastic.
    I was wishing they could have uncovered the King’s tour proshot from Capitol Theater in Passaic for this set as well. That would have been awesome.

As for the 2112 set, they should have saved the alternate 2112 for a nice All The Worlds A Stage box which could have included all 3 Massey Hall nights uncut. That would have been and instant purchase from me.

That being said, I’ll probably grab the super deluxe of this set, to get the Hammersmith show on vinyl and the Steven Wilson remix. I really hope they do a Hemispheres Deluxe next year. There are some really good soundboard shows from that tour and probably some stuff that never leaked out hopefully including another proshot from Capitol Theater if it exists.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    RangerXT, Scroller, ytserush and 2 others like this.
  7. Sam

Sam Senior Member

If Rush wants to do it right, contract with Mobile Fidelity and get some titles released on vinyl in the new one-step format. Now THAT would be something to celebrate and hear. Give me 2112, Moving Pictures or AFTK in 45 rpm mode using the master tape.

8. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

I think Sam is on to something ...

9. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Agree on this for sure. Remember the Tribute to bands releases of the '90s? It was fun finding some cool (and not so cool) covers of BS,JP,ect.....I believe The label Magna Carta did the Working Man (tribute)? I have it some where it a box as I was into Magna Carta artists at the time when it came out....But as tack ons ?No. I am of one mind with your observations here.

Murph, The Hud and DiabloG like this.
  10. Not sure what you are getting at. I checked eBay and Amazon and went for the cheapest one. There are still cheap ones in the $7.00 range on Amazon.

11. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Here is the reply I got from e-mailing Backstage Club customer service address in regards to a standalone release of the Blu-ray:

RangerXT likes this.
  12. ModernDayWarrior

Guaranteed that after a year that the box set doesn’t selll they’ll release a stand-alone version.

RangerXT and ytserush like this.
  13. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I can wait a year

Scottb and ytserush like this.
  14. pool_of_tears

Ahh, but was a show from the Hemispheres tour captured on multitrack tape?

RangerXT likes this.
  15. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I remember working on the Rush doc and being in the basement at Anthem and seeing the multitracks for the Hammersmith show and seeing 'Lakeside Park' and '2112' and lamenting them collecting dust. Nice to see they are finally putting that material out.

16. ModernDayWarrior

That’s a good question. I’m hoping yes.

17. pool_of_tears

I hope so, too.

18. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I wish there was but I’m pretty sure this does not exist. Maybe board tapes is the best there is other than bootlegs.

19. ModernDayWarrior

I bet there is at least one multitracked show. They multitracked the 2112, A Farwell To Kings tours, I don’t see why they wouldn’t multitrack a Hemispheres show. They were getting bigger and headlining on there own by this point. I’m optimistic that there is at least one multitrack show.

RangerXT, Ken.e. and ytserush like this.
  20. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

[QUOTE="ModernDayWarrior, post: 17391321, member: 23513"]The covers are useless imo. If they wanna do bands covering Rush do another tribute album or something. They don’t belong on a Rush album please.[/QUOTE]

Ha just thought of this at work today after I posted to ModernDayWarrior's post ( post #84). Take off the covers and add in their place The Trailer Park Boys episode called "Closer To The Heart"(Season 3 Epi.5) that would work for me ha ha:agree:

Any Rush fan who has not see or heard of this see it!! Language & drug references FYI but, hilarious IMHO:biglaugh:Love it.

PS Saw the "new "artwork for the super Deluxe And it's too Game Of Thrones for me o_O or is it just me?

21. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I can't speak for the CD, but the Hi-Res download was spectacular! And it didn't sound all that compressed from what I can recall. :)

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  22. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

The only issue is that the hi-res downloads have watermarking which negatively affects the sound quality. It was easily noticeable with Power Windows (especially on Mystic Rhythms), so I've refrained from buying any more of the downloads. Caress of Steel is the only other one I have, though I need to see if the watermarking is as bad as it is on PoW. I also used to have AFTK, but I didn't back it up before my old hard drive gave out. I explained the situation to HDTracks, yet wouldn't let me re-download files unless I bought the album again. :realmad:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  23. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I hope your optimism is true but I Remain skeptical.

24. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

In another thread which I can access (insufficient privileges), regarding Hemisphere it is said :

"They are not the same mastering. The SACD was mastered by Kevin Gray. The new high-res PCM and vinyl was mastered by Sean Magee." (ElevatorSkyMovie)

To those who've listened both, which one is the better ? thanks !

25. pool_of_tears

Exactly! They multitracked the 2112, A Farwell To Kings, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire tours. I’d wager they did the same for Hemispheres...and Signals, too.

RangerXT likes this.