Rush A Farewell to Kings 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Very cool to see that Terry Brown is involved with "newly mixing" the Hammersmith Odeon show. I've always loved the energy of that performance which came as a bonus disc with the Different Stages CD, particularly the absolutely killing live version of Cygnus X-1, but oooooooofff, that thing is compressed to F*@K-ALL! I really hope Terry Brown smoothes it out a bit. Also, I am sure the Steven Wilson surround mix will be peachy, but sadly I don't have a 5.1 setup and I don't see anything in the description about a high-res stereo mix on the blu-ray... :sigh: And yeah, I 100% agree about the useless cover versions of Rush songs tacked on to a reissue. Terrible :thumbsdow. BUT, the positives of this thing outweigh the negatives so...

I am in for the Super Deluxe! :uhhuh:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Hymie the Robot likes this.
  2. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Myth, absolutely no proof of that. The 2015 Magee's up to Moving Pictures are stellar.

nano nano and KDubATX like this.
  3. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Marked or not, ALL the 2015 remasters sound great.

johnny q, Roberto899 and KDubATX like this.
  4. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

This says original stereo analog 2015 remaster

Rush to celebrate 40th anniversary of A Farewell To Kings

stingraex2000 likes this.
  5. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

:drool: It'd be great if they found the budget and time to revisit these for a SDE of Exit Stage Left with the whole show on Blu-ray

6. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I had read somewhere on the forum that Magee's hi-res wasn't bright at all but the opposite and because of comments about not having enough hi-end he beefed up the high end for the CD release.

7. Hymie the Robot

Jimijam and Scottb like this.
  8. mikedifr0923

Yeah, those are when he does the entire project for the album, this is just him doing the one mix for them.

I wish he would remix every album ever made :D

9. Hymie the Robot

If you mean in the Yes/King Crimson format with 5.1 AND stereo remixes along with bonus tracks in an affordable package...heck yes! The $100+ packages would break me. Also he likes to include flat transfers of original mixes which keeps everyone happy for around $25. That is the formula closest to perfection.

MichaelCPE and mikedifr0923 like this.
  10. mikedifr0923

Yes, absolutely what I mean. I love the Yes flat transfers of the original vinyl mixes.

11. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Right. I've got the Sector DVD-A of AFTK which sounds very good to me and I'm glad it exists, but it would be sweet to hear a high-res, Steven Wilson stereo mix of this outstanding album as well as most other Rush albums!

12. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Like I said, I don’t have them, just going by what I’ve heard around here. If they don’t end up coming out on standalone blurays with 5.1 remixes I’ll eventually buy the downloads.

13. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Thanks to you for your perseverance!

ytserush likes this.
  14. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Was there ever a consensus on the water marking? If it is there or not or audible? It seems to me last I was reading through the threads, some people heard it and some people didn't. I haven't noticed it, but I haven't listened with headphones either.

15. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Was the third The Working Man (tribute) I mentioned? Not aware of the the other two? Magna Carta did a few other Tributes to (if I recall correctly that is !) Yes, Genesis and ELP ? Maybe others ? Not too sure off the top of my head here,so forgive me if I got this all wrong ha ha...it happens.:shrug: I was really into a lot Magna Carta releases back in the day :)

16. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Yeah, that's one issue I have with HDTracks. You should be able to download your purchases any time/all the time, not giving you a small window. It isn't really that fair at the end of the day. I can Dropbox you a copy if you're interested. :)

17. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

This would be my Rush holy grail - the complete 1981 Montreal show on video. While they're at it, the complete Toronto 1984 show would also be nice. Maybe we can hope they will be included in the 40th Anniversary edition of MP and GuP.

18. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I’ve been waiting to see if Rush can put out a complete Exit Stage Left concert on Blu-ray. That would be killer.

jamesc, Rupe33, jacek2 and 5 others like this.
  19. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Amen brother! That would be sweet.

ModernDayWarrior and chrischerm like this.
  20. That doesn’t sound right. The CD is supposed to be from the same remastering as the LP and the hi-res files. My guess is that the hi-res was simply downsampled for CD.

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

No, for the 2112 40th Ann. CD, it's been reported that they apparently added brightness and limiting to the excellent Magee remaster.

DiabloG, chrischerm and Natvecal. like this.
  22. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Except, there is apparently no way to buy this blu-ray independent of the super deluxe set. Fail.

DiabloG and dlokazip like this.
  23. I seriously doubt that Magee would do that, even if it has been “reported,” you know? It could be another case of people’s imaginations getting the best of them. In any event, now that I have the CD, I will listen and compare and report back here.

24. I just listened and compared, after a little bit of gain matching as the level on the CD is greater than the hi-res. They do sound a bit different. After level matching, the Redbook files sound less dynamic. I wouldn’t call them hyper-compressed, but the hi-res definitely has the edge. I used A Passage to Bangkok for my comparison as it has some good dynamic contrasts.

25. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

When you say 'to the excellent Magee remaster do you mean the pre-CD remaster that he did for hi-res? I read that some people complained about the hi-rez 2112 that it was a bit muffed and so that is why he added more high end to the CD release. I don't know why he felt the need to add limiting though.