Rush: Clockwork angels gets worse with each listen.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andersoncouncil, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

This +10000... on the newer material he sings within his abilities and sounds just fine, but when they do the older stuff live it's just painful to listen to. I caught the most recent live show on Palladia about two weeks ago, and the vocals on the older songs were just brutal... the way he's using only his upper chest and nasal portions of his voice to allow him to hit those notes sounds bloody awful. They need to just stop playing that stuff, seriously.

And Neil has just become boring. Sorry, but IMO it's the truth. He went from one of the most dynamic, inventive rock drummers to just... blah.

I adore Rush... up to a point. (IMO the last truly solid start-to-finish album they put out was Grace Under Pressure, although I like moments from albums after that). And I feel no compelling need to keep up with them if I don't like what they're churning out.

Finch Platte likes this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I really wanted to like it, but like Snakes & Arrows, the intent was there, the performances were there...they just forgot to write good melodies.

vinylphile and Carserguev like this.
  3. Tim Peterson

Tim Peterson Forum Resident

I'm a drummer. I know I'm not as fast as 30 years ago, but I feel I'm a better drummer as far as knowing what to play, how to play it, and also what not to play

4. Tim Peterson

Tim Peterson Forum Resident

There is a novel that goes along with the Clockwork Angels album. Perhaps this limited them to some extant to keep with the book.

5. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Must disagree ... especially on Alien Shore and Between Sun And Moon.

6. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Agreed. I think the weakest track on Counterparts is The Speed Of Love. I love the rest.

7. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

Part of my problem with Neil's playing the last couple of albums especially is that any cool parts he ended up playing, they were not his idea. They were the idea of Nick Raskulinecz. The big fill during the solo in Caravan - Nick's idea. The cool verse parts in The Way The Wind Blows - Nick's idea. If you look at some of the pics from the recording of the Clockwork Angels album, you can see Neil being coached and guided by Nick.

8. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Geddy's voice is a shadow of its former shriek. It's hard to listen to him as a background ambiance.

9. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Whoever mentioned the double RL of PoW is absolutely right... Far from my favorite album, but that thing's a corker.

For all the talk of lack of melody... Presto was extremely melodic. I happen to love it, but its mixed reputation with the fan base should tell you that melody isn't always top priority for Rush diehards.

I like CA more than CP. To each his own. Also thought S&A was a return to form after many disappointing years. I think Nick R definitely pushes them, which is good... Although I could do without his wall-of-sound approach to mixing.

Murph likes this.
  10. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Mastering issues aside, I still love the album!

mmars982 and Stuart S like this.
  11. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Perhaps so. Melody really draws me in, which is probably why I'm often times standing by myself praising Presto.

12. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I love Presto because it is more of a songwriter album for Rush... same with Roll The Bones. I know a lot of Rush fans aren't looking for that kind of thing, but it was right up my alley and a refreshing change.

But then again, I'm one of those people who loves all their albums....

13. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Presto came at the perfect time for me. I'd discovered Rush a few years back, and while I liked HYF and ASOH alright (more so than now), I really fell headlong into the classic material... 2112 through GUP. Presto was my first "new" Rush album and I played it constantly that year... Mixing issues weren't a concern at all. (I was playing it in the tape deck of my crappy station wagon!!) That tour was also my first live show. (Still my favorite along with the first shows after Neil's return--where they busted out "Natural Science"--and the great TM shows where they did MP front to back.)

Of all the records in their back catalog, I'd love to see that one get the deluxe treatment... Remixed and remastered, ideally on vinyl and/or 5.1 BluRay. Similar to the great Aqualung 2011 set. I know it will never happen, but anyway...

CybrKhatru and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Very cool example of how people hear different things in music. One of the things that makes it so great.

Presto is on the lower scale of Rush albums for me for the exact opposite reason - I just don't hear enough melody on that album. Or maybe it is no melodies that I actually like. None of the songs do much for me.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  15. ModernDayWarrior

IMO that's the thing you have to respect about Rush. They try a lot of different things. Some work for some, some work for others. I love that there are different albums for different moods.

16. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I think that if Presto had a better mix and mastering job it would be noticed a bit more. Same with RTB, both sound kind of tinny and very high-end oriented. There are some quality songs on those albums though, I don't know if I would say they are anywhere near Rush's best but even the lower tier Rush albums are really, really good!

CybrKhatru likes this.
  17. ModernDayWarrior

I think that's why they have been revisiting a lot of those mid period songs live, to give them a beefier sound. To bad their live albums have sounded like crappy the past 15 years. It's a shame.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  18. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

Funny - in my opinion Presto is the only halfway decent thing they've done since Power Windows. The other stuff just kinda sounds nondescript with a distinct lack of melody.

ifihadafish and Carserguev like this.
  19. vinylphile

Wow - you have managed to put my feelings on their later works into words absolutely perfectly. In other words, I could not have said it better myself - and believe me I've tried!

mando_dan likes this.
  20. vinylphile

You may or may not like Big Money - but it does have that big keyboard hook that makes it distinct. It reaches out and grabs you. That, I think, is precisely the sort of thing RightOff is suggesting is missing from their more recent works. And I could not agree more.

21. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

For me it's the opposite The Big Money has absolutely no tune or melody whatsoever it would fit right into the current malaise of their writing........the only interesting part of that song is the coda....

22. vinylphile

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

zen likes this.
  23. jojo209

jojo209 Forum Resident

This is a great thread. All the albums from Presto on have been hit or miss for me. Although IMO they ALWAYS have a killer track 1 (and usually track 2), I rarely stay interested for the whole album like I would with, say, Permanent Waves (I think the comments made about CD-length albums working against them were totally on point). As for Clockwork, I like that they went a bit longer with the songs and tried to stretch a bit like the old stuff, while keeping a lot of it heavy like the latest stuff. I think there are some really nice songs on there too. As for Mr. Peart, I can't agree with the negative comments made here; so he doesn't play La Villa Strangiato or Big Money crazy-a** patterns anymore; he's older, but his sound is FAT and he has some awesome moments (the double-bass on the title track, and the fill after the first line of the last chorus of Caravan, are BRILLIANT). Still, there will always be a part of me that wishes they would take a year or so to write some REALLY technical parts & ridiculous arrangements, get in front of some old analog gear, and put out a totally 70's-flat-sounding throwback-to-Farewell To Kings album of old-school super-prog Rush and blow everyone out of the water... just to show they still can!

Clanceman and slipkid like this.
  24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Clockwork Angels really needs Kevin Gray to work his magic.

jacek2 likes this.
  25. vinylphile

All it really needs is less compression so we can actually hear what is being played.

sound chaser, CybrKhatru and jacek2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.