Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I certainly hope it's the last time I need to think about buying them!!!

2. RushFrance

RushFrance Member

CARESS OF STEEL (24/192) 2015
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Rush / Caress Of Steel
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR12 -1.58 dB -15.08 dB 4:42 01-Bastille Day
    DR11 -0.81 dB -15.63 dB 3:43 02-I Think I'm Going Bald
    DR13 -2.12 dB -17.93 dB 4:15 03-Lakeside Park
    DR13 0.00 dB -16.34 dB 12:33 04-The Necromancer
    DR13 0.00 dB -17.02 dB 20:11 05-The Fountain Of Lamneth
    Number of tracks: 5
    Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 192000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 4659 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

CARESS OF STEEL (24/196) 2013
    Analyzed: Rush / Caress Of Steel

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR7 -0.10 dB -8.95 dB 4:42 01-Bastille Day
    DR8 -0.10 dB -9.41 dB 3:43 02-I Think I'm Going Bald
    DR9 -0.10 dB -11.59 dB 4:12 03-Lakeside Park
    DR7 -0.09 dB -10.28 dB 12:37 04-The Necromancer
    DR7 0.00 dB -11.04 dB 20:06 05-The Fountain Of Lamneth

Number of tracks: 5
    Official DR value: DR8

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 3002 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

3. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Uh oh, the numbers look bad, time to change your mind about Caress of Steel! ;)

4. RushFrance

RushFrance Member

Cos 2013 is not bad at all, but listening through headphones is oppressive .The instruments sound more aggressive .
    Cos 2015 is quieter , the instruments are less stuck , the "sound space" to breathe .

For example, here is the graph of the song " Neucromancer " from the following words :
    "Stealthily attacking- By-Tor slays his foe
    The men are free to run now - From labyrinths below"

[​IMG]

In Cos 2013, the voice and the bass are compressed together.
    In Cos 2015, the voice and the bass are well separated .

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    oneway23, rcsrich and weirdo12 like this.
  5. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Ha, that's a no-no mentioning that here.

6. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Ok, I heard only Bastille Day from the 2015 CoS digital remaster. The sound quality is much better than Fly By Night and everything is nice and centered. This is the first Rush (in this series) that has no 'bass-boost'.

I pitted it against my original Canadian Anthem CD (which has always been considered the best CoS of the digital formats) and the 2015 wins hands down.

I also pitted it against an older US Pressing needledrop, from a few years back. Remarkably they are almost the same. At first I could not tell the difference, but the needledrop has the edge because I can crank it a little higher without fatigue. The 2015 isn't LOUD it's just a little sharper sounding than the original vinyl.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    RushFrance and rcsrich like this.
  7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Or lack of bass-cut.

violetvinyl likes this.
  8. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I think anyone who's been around the forum and/or a Rush fan already knew that the '97 and subsequent remasters (with the exception of the latest 2015 remaster) of COS are squashed...no news there. The real news is that the new remaster appears to finally have been done right (or as close to "right" as we are going to get).

sound chaser and RushFrance like this.
  9. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

That's great news for me, I have an old US pressing of CoS so maybe I won't splurge for this. I need to save my money for the AFTK and Hemispheres remasters coming later this year anyway that I only have the '97 CDs of.

rcsrich likes this.
  10. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

Haven't read through the entire thread but are all of these 2015 HD-Tracks 24/192's remastered?

11. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

I concur. As I posted earlier I have an original GK and had purchased the 2015 reissue. I returned my 2015 reissue ONLY because it suffered infill problems.

12. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Yep, but make sure to avoid the 2013 24/96 files as they're the compressed Sector remasters.

13. randian

randian Forum Resident

The 24/96 tracks in the 2015 release are really the older 2013 Sector tracks?

14. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

No, the new 24/96 downloads should have the same sound quality as the other 2015 editions. Just avoid anything with a 2013 date and you're good to go. Sorry if my post confused you.

rcsrich likes this.
  15. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

From what I have read - not heard - three cheers for Rush for getting these new masters right. I can't wait for A Farewell To Kings.

johnny q, fuhrsy31, rcsrich and 2 others like this.
  16. Amperage

Amperage Forum Resident

^^^ absolutely! We can only hope other bands will follow.

And yes FTK and HEMI are going to rock....

sound chaser likes this.
  17. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Listened to 192/24 Caress of Steel at work through my Dragonfly to UE 900 earbuds; it sounds fantastic and is EXTREMELY crankable.

I did some light A/B'ing with the Sector 1 version for the first couple of minutes of Bastille Day. I echo the comments that the 2015 is big lush midrange, while the Sector brings the crunch in a not bad way IMO. There is room in my flash drive (and heart) for both, and am glad to have different versions. I loved how Sector CoS sounded on my home stereo, but I expect it will be awhile until the family clears out for me to crank Alex's epic "Necromancer" solos, 2015 vintage. This will be a fun A/B session!

Can't wait for the vinyl to arrive next week. These are the days...

DiabloG likes this.
  18. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Listened to 192/24 Caress of Steel at work through my Dragonfly to UE 900 earbuds; it sounds fantastic and is EXTREMELY crankable.

I did some light A/B'ing with the Sector 1 version for the first couple of minutes of Bastille Day. I echo the comments that the 2015 is big lush midrange, while the Sector brings the crunch in a not bad way IMO. There is room in my flash drive (and heart) for both, and am glad to have different versions. I loved how Sector CoS sounded on my home stereo, but I expect it will be awhile until the family clears out for me to crank Alex's epic "Necromancer" shred. This will be a fun A/B session!

Can't wait for the vinyl to arrive next week. These are the days...

Sox68 and oneway23 like this.
  19. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Gutted! ProStudioMasters and HDTracks aren't available outside of the US. Looking elsewhere I suppose. :(

After looking at options for either 192 or 96, I'll take that stab and go for the 192. :)

20. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

When you take the stab, why not also down convert it to 24/96 and see if you can tell a difference. If you can't, then you'll save money in the future...by only purchasing the 24/96.

21. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Yes, I suppose, as even Steven Wilson has 24/96 versions of his remixes but I'd still like to have the top notch files especially for future technological purposes, upgrading equipment etc.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  22. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

I usually go for 24/96 even when 24/192 is available, but with the Rush 70's catalog I won't take any chances.:) And since these remasters really feel like the final versions of this material I think its worth the extra few bucks for the 192. But of course later on they will release the DSD-transfers and the discussion will begin... Anyone heard any news about those? I think DSD was mentioned when this whole reissue thing was announced.

23. randian

randian Forum Resident

So do I, I figure that middle age means I can't hear the difference anymore.

24. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Just get yourself a free PayPal account and you'll be able to buy from HDTracks. I'm in Canada and have had no problem buying from them now for several years.

25. vanye

vanye Forum Resident

If you live in Europe, you might try www.highresaudio.com.

To buy from ProStudio Masters, you just need a credit card with a US billing address, as far as I know.

However, here's a big cheer for the music industry for making it hard for their customers to buy their product. Guess they'll be whining again at the end of the year about not making enough dough. And of course it's gonna be everybody else's fault but theirs.

Simon_LDT and RushFrance like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.