Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick Scott

Nick Scott Forum Resident

They will do. Had to wait nearly a week before they had CoS listed.

2. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

I ordered my vinyl copy of 2112 yesterday from www.whatrecords.co.uk and it was shipped same day. I've used them before for vinyl and they are very efficient.

3. Nick Scott

Nick Scott Forum Resident

& they sell US pressings?

4. crimsun

crimsun Active Member

The HDtracks "hi-res" (24-bit, 192 kHz) versions of 2112 and ATWAS sound *nice*. As previous comments mentioned, the studio album has more clarity and air with better instrument separation, and it sounds more neutral compared to both Sector 1 and the 1997 remaster (CD). The live album holds the same as previous comments as well; the drums are not as buried as in the 1997 remaster (CD). Both albums breathe better, seem less compressed, and sound really good when cranked. Which, well, is what the era screams for, eh?

Graphics for those of you into this sorta (first 2112 then ATWAS):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Opinion: as with many other "hi-res" downloads sourced from analog tape: there isn't much palatable info above 30kHz, so you may consider saving the buck and just going for the 24/96 version.)

5. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Information above 30kHz isn't the only reason for going to 24/192. It is also to get any digital artifacting as far out of the music as possible. I may not be explaining myself well but I hope you understand what I am saying.

How do you feel they fare against the original/earlier CDs? I did a brief comparison to my original US 2112 and I prefered the new hi res. it had a little more kick in the bass department.

Plan9 likes this.
  6. Amperage

Amperage Forum Resident

So all of the 96/24 are just downsampled 192/24. Are you saying there could be digital artifacting in the downsample?
    Very highly doubtful. Money not well spent IMO. I've ordered the 96/24 of all of these Rush releases and couldn't be happier. The 192 is purely a "feel good" buy.

oneway23 and rcsrich like this.
  7. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I'm curious to hear opinions on this as well- my original 2112 "silverface" CD has good dynamics, but in some places Geddy's vocals are positively shrill. I'm hoping that is not the case with the hi-res remaster. For example, on the track "Something For Nothing", the brittle high end is really noticeable.

8. Mij Retrac

I'me not explaining myself well I know. I didn't mean there would be artifacts from the downconversion. I am not using the correct terms and maybe somebody here can help me so I don't have to go spend a long time rereading my info. What I meant is the higher the sampling goes above your hearing range the less possibility you get things like digital ringing that would affect things in your hearing range.

Anyway small point. I know many people that can always hear a difference in digital transfers of old analog recordings when comparing the 24/96 and 24/192. I on a rare occasion can and for that reason always feel the extra investment is worth it especially on important recordings like this.

Starwanderer likes this.
  9. The mixes are not different. The EQ choices made during mastering can affect the sound of percussion and guitar as you have described.

crimsun, Mij Retrac and rcsrich like this.
  10. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

If you can hear the difference, I say more power to you! I actually do a lot of listening in my car, which for hi-res sources means down-conversion to 320 kbps 16/48 AAC. Sufficed to say, 24/96 works fine for me. ;)

11. Mij Retrac

If that is your means of listening than yes, 24/192 makes absolutely no sense. I do a lot of listening in my car too but I would say I do as much listening through my headphone rig and in my listening room so I want it for that.

rcsrich likes this.
  12. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I do have a decent pair of headphones and a laptop that can output true hi-res, but I would imagine to hear the difference between 192 & 96, you'd need something a little more robust than that- or better hearing than what I have...
    Maybe one day I'll have the luxury of having a dedicated listening space again- it's a nice bonus.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  13. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I got this today-Hi-Res seemed to have an error on their site yesterday.

Anyway I'm not convinced this one shows the benefits as well as the earlier 2015 downloads-remember we are talking digital here. I didn't go to the Sectors box set but I went to the Blu Ray version and compared that and the CD from that with the download.

Obviously there was a big volume difference and whilst the Blu Ray version I would guess is more compressed it's not the type of recording that is killed by that and it's not crushed to a dot indeed that recording seems pretty decent to me. This is a quick A/B not an extensive analysis but whilst the download might sound a bit more relaxed maybe a tad more decay to my ears it's a marginal difference.

14. mitchcortes

mitchcortes Forum Resident

Are all these EU pressings from gzvinyl? If so, how is the quality of these pressings? I read a lot of positive reactions, but mostly about the US pressings...

15. Mij Retrac

I definitely noticed more bass in the new reissue as well. The sector set itself wasn't bad by any stretch so it would be hard for a new reissue to be a huge improvement.

The biggest nitpick I have with these reissues in hi res is how low the volume is. I am gonna have to take them and normalize them so they are at least close to the volume level of all of my other digital files. There just isn't a need to have them this low.

Overall I am pleased with the sound quality of these. All of them are my best digital versions of the album so far. Some are a very subtle differences some are bigger.

David Bostock likes this.
  16. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

If the recent Lynyrd Skynyrd vinyl box set is anything to go by and they are indeed from GZ, they should sound great!

17. crimsun

crimsun Active Member

I definitely enjoy (and find "more listenable" for longer durations) the new "hi-res" downloads. Agree that the instruments are better "defined." Just choosing the closing track on the live album, Neil's cymbal work is clearer. The ultimate feeling is that I'm kinda jealous of you all who got to see them live during that era. :D

18. crimsun

crimsun Active Member

I think the shrillness of which you speak on that song is still noticeable, but I'm not sure if I've consciously chosen to tolerate or even de-emphasize it in the past. Comparing today's download to past CDs, it seems a tiny bit less brittle.

rcsrich and Mij Retrac like this.
  19. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

I'm trying to make that decision as I have the Sector CD and the 2012 Blu-Ray version of this one along with some original CD version. The completist wants all the 2015 remasters, but my brain is making think about it.

20. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I'd agree with that overall.

Do you have the 2112 expanded version? I think that's the issue for me the Sectors I found a bit too cranked but I'd need to double check 2112.

21. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

It's certainly not jumping out at me that this version is a must buy. I would have said both Fly and Caress were noticeably better. Having said that the 2012 Blu Ray has nicer clarity overall than the Sectors versions which smudge for me due to the compression

22. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I just ordered the 2112 vinyl from SSD. It doesn't mention that it includes a download with the vinyl. Does it, and if it does, what resolution is it?

23. Mij Retrac

I have the deluxe Blu-ray from last year or the year before and I thought it sounded exactly like the Sector 1 version but I could be wrong.

24. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Vinyl-sourced 320kbs MP3s.

25. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

Just doing a comparison, sound pretty much the same to me as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.