Rush tour setlist 2007

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Done!

This is why Rush has had such great success and continue to grow. They're not a nostalgia act. If they'd continued to play 20 minute epics, it would have been boring, for them and us.

2. leopoldstotch

leopoldstotch New Member

Does anyone know if Rush will be back later in the year to do some indoor shows? Unfortunately for me I will be missing them this time around as the dates they are in my area are not good for me.

3. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

Although you are in Philly, they are coming to MSG on Sept. 17th - close enough for you to go.

4. rushyescrim

rushyescrim Forum Resident

i just got home from the show in tampa and aside from alex having some issues with his guitar tech,, the show was incredible... i purposely avoided this thread for the last few days because i wanted the setlist to be a surprise, and man was it ever a surprise... this was my 9th time seeing rush live, and the first time i have ever heard circumstances, entre nous and digital man played live.. great show made even better by the fact that i was able to go backstage during the intermission.. hope we see a dvd from this tour in the future...

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

definitely in 2008 :righton:

6. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I am thrilled with the setlist. I hope that is what they play when I see them in VA

7. Claus

8. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

They likely will.

9. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Strong rumor is that after the non-US leg, they're going to take a little time off and then play some indoor venues in the winter/spring timeframe. Nothing guaranteed, but it's been hinted at for months.

10. SuiteMadameBlue

SuiteMadameBlue Rockin' The Paradise

I'm SO excited and I CAN'T wait to see Rush here in September!!! I've been seeing them in concert since the mid-80's!! I loved every Rush concert that I've been to :)

I had to peek at the setlist :)

11. Claus

I'm too... I will see Rush on 10/21 :righton:

12. StyxCollector

Seeing Rush next week :p

Between Dennis DeYoung this week, Rush next week, Genesis in England the following week, the Police a few weeks after that in Philly, and Squeeze on 8/1, it's going to be a busy summer for concerts!

13. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Saw Rush monday night at the Hollywood Bowl, one of there better performances. Here is a Review of the show I found.

Live Review: Rush in Los Angeles

Why did the chickens cross the road? Probably to get away from Rush [ tickets ], who slow-roasted 54 fowl in an onstage rotisserie throughout a stellar three-hour set at the Hollywood Bowl Monday night (7/23).
    The classic rock-hued and progressively skewed crowd of more than 15,000 fared significantly better than the skewered poultry, as the prog-rock heroes from the Great White North served a two-set smorgasbord spanning their 22-album, 33-year career.

Anchored by nine tracks from "Snakes & Arrows"--the band's 18th studio album was released May 1, debuting at No. 3 on The Billboard 200--the set featured material dating as far back as 1976's breakthrough "2112" and the 1978 masterpiece "Hemispheres," and also included 13 tracks from the '80s.

"Dreamline" may have been the only track from the '90s, but it bridged the trio's expansive body of work just as it bridged the performance, closing the night's more nostalgia-minded first set with a metallic rattle precariously tethered to the bands progressive epicenter. With lasers slicing through the Hollywood Bowl sky, frontman/bassist/keyboardist Geddy Lee, guitarist Alex Lifeson and drummer Neil Peart demonstrated exactly why they've proven such an invaluable inspiration to bands that run the gamut from arthouse heavies Tool and metal goliaths Mastodon, to modern prog-masters Dream Theater and crossover rockers Queensryche.

In fact, as early in the set as "The Main Monkey Business"--the first of three "Snakes & Arrows" instrumentals, with "Malignant Narcissism" and "Hope" later bracketing Peart's drum solo--the subtle fusion of hearty sonics and melodic rapture demonstrated a band that, while in their fourth decade, still hasn't lost a musical step. And lest the 27-song set run the risk of getting too heady, a crew member in an apron and chef's hat offered some monkey business of his own, coming out to baste the chicken that was cooking behind Lee, in ovens that took the place of speaker cabinets to the right of the drum kit.

It was still daylight when "Limelight" opened the proceedings with a hearty swagger. The first of four tracks from 1981's epic "Moving Pictures," it demonstrated early the spot-on and meticulous musicianship that would mark the evening. The vocals weren't as consistent, but there were no atrocities, Lee seeming to pick his battles wisely. Where he pushed to meet a higher stretch on the opener, he later nailed "Subdivisions" as though it were effortless, wavered a bit on "Freewill," then delivered a vocal performance on "Distant Early Warning" that was as impeccable as the music that carried it more than two-and-a-half hours into the set.

Despite a sound that brilliantly bled from smooth and understated to thunderous and hard-hitting, Peart played with remarkable finesse, barely seeming to break a sweat behind the kit. He ushered in the climactic last quarter of the show with a seven-minute solo that triggered an industrial-dance, tribal explosion into a swinging jazz and a big band, boogie-woogie finale. Lifeson followed with a solo run through "Hope" before the band returned for the second set's closing trio of "Distant Early Warning," "The Spirit of Radio" and "Tom Sawyer."

The encore blitzed at a racing pace through "One Little Victory," Lee again spot-on vocally, then dirged the proceedings down with the night's oldest track, "A Passage To Bangkok," before the flash-furious opening of longtime set-closer "YYZ," where the spotlight darted about as bass lines sizzled, keyboards tickled, drums rolled and guitars glazed to wide-eyed wonder.

It proved a night that saw no shortage of highlights. "Circumstances" blew the first set into the stratosphere, Lee's vocals punching through Lifeson's arena-rock guitar grandeur with Peart providing a slow-building model of power and precision, and fans were still talking about "Natural Science" as they vacated the Bowl at night's end, the understated predecessor to just about every Dream Theater opus marching to a colossal apex of kinetic crunch and rhythmic swagger in the middle of the second set.

For the sake of nit-picking, opening the second set with five tracks from "Snakes & Arrows" may have been a bit overzealous, but when the rest of the night featured no fewer than 18 classic tracks, well, Rush were more than accommodating.

Couple the comprehensive setlist with the truly awe-inspiring performances, and the results proved to be one of the most memorable Rush sets in a long, long timeā€¦ Still no word on how that chicken tasted.

Set 1:
    Video Intro
    "Limelight"
    "Digital Man"
    "Entre Nous"
    "Mission"
    "Freewill"
    "The Main Monkey Business"
    "The Larger Bowl"
    "Secret Touch"
    "Circumstances"
    "Between the Wheels"
    "Dreamline"

Set 2:
    Video Intro
    "Far Cry"
    "Workin' Them Angels"
    "Armor and Sword"
    "Spindrift"
    "The Way the Wind Blows"
    "Subdivisions"
    "Natural Science"
    "Witch Hunt"
    "Malignant Narcissism"
    Drum Solo
    "Hope"
    "Distant Early Warning"
    "The Spirit of Radio"
    "Tom Sawyer"

Encore:
    "One Little Victory"
    "A Passage to Bangkok"
    "YYZ"

14. StyxCollector

Looks like you got one of the sets where they replaced "Summertime Blues" with DEW.

15. GKH

GKH Senior Member

And still; I have never seen them. :( The Nashville show was re-routed this year.

16. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Yet here is another review of the show from Variety:

Imagine a place where complex instrumentals and drum solos did not send fans on beer runs or bathroom breaks, where mere musical passages were applauded nearly as enthusiastically as the entire songs themselves, where the bass player doubled on keys while the guitarist alternated between acoustic and electric -- in the middle of songs. A fictional land? Nay, it truly existed on the laser-lit stages roamed by the Canadian power trio Rush in their prime, and it's territory revisited with the release of their latest album.
    Prog-rock pupil Adam Jones of Tool and drum disciple Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters were among the many being schooled by the seemingly ageless rock outfit for two sets and an encore at the Bowl Monday night. "Snakes and Arrows" (Anthem/Atlantic), the group's 11th top 10 disc, continues the unique tradition of weighty lyrics penned by drummer Neil Peart sung even more uniquely by bassist Geddy Lee, whose characteristic timbre and register showed no signs of wear.

What does appear to have changed is the source of propulsion for the new music. Where once such staples as "Closer to the Heart" and "Red Barchetta" (both curiously omitted from the tour's setlists thus far) were built around Alex Lifeson's ingenious guitar riffs and use of harmonics, the "Snakes and Arrows" material, performed in abundance, seemed driven by Peart's insistent beats first and foremost and with far less structural dynamics.

The band does take a significant risk by starting the second set with five new songs that dealt largely with faith and spirituality; galvanizing numbers like the closers "Spirit of Radio" and "Tom Sawyer," if spread throughout the sesh, would have made the show more of a crowd-pleaser.

The band revealed that it does, in fact, have a sense of humor with the inclusion of brief video-projected comedy clips from "SCTV's" fictional brothers Bob and Doug McKenzie (played by Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas, respectively), the kids from "South Park" and the threesome themselves (as well as the unintentionally funny closeup video shot of Lee's foot playing bass pedals).

But it was only near show's end when the musicians finally showed signs of loosening up, after appearing so proficient and workmanlike all evening, with Lee and Lifeson prowling opposite sides of the Bowl and Peart cracking a smile after a drum fill now and then.

17. unipanthers

unipanthers New Member

Thursday night in the Marcus Amphitheater. Only two more nights to wait for this great show!

18. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

good for them

19. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Looks like a really good selection of tunes. Can't wait to see them next week (Sept. 12) here in town!

Cheers,
    Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.