Ryan Adams Self Titled album 9/9/2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wbhendrix, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jb412

jb412 Forum Resident

Love the new single, look forward to the album!

2. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I HATE Pax-Am and their idiotic "limited releases."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
    Larry Loves LPs and wallpaperman like this.
  3. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

I'm with you on that. Something new is always released and sold out while I'm at work.

4. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I saw him on the Cold Roses tour as well, in Ashville NC. Fantastic show. And there was a moment when he visibly and audibly made some remark to the drummer who then threw his sticks and stormed off stage.

Jack and wavethatflag like this.
  5. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident Thread Starter

Why? I love it. Even though I miss most of them, as a large RA fan, I enjoy the hunt and collecting something rare and valuable when I do get one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
    rob303 likes this.
  6. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Gotta disagree with this. Huge fan of Ryan, I have pretty much everything officially released album wise except Orion and the Live after Deaf sets. Plus, have tons of unreleased sessions that hold some real gems that have yet to officially see the light of day.

But I just can't be assed chasing down these limited edition singles and overpaying for them when there is absolutely no need for them to be limited. I don't care for something to possibly be valuable down the line, I just want to listen to the music, is that not the point?

Oh well, I guess the album will not be limited, will have to make do with that.

7. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

new song from last night's show in Portland, Maine

Rocketdog and jpmosu like this.
  8. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Vinyl collecting is fun. For me it is about the hunt and about the music. Instant gratification is for the digital realm. You have a choice to participate or not and that is a good thing b/c its obvious you do not enjoy the hunt.

Jack and wbhendrix like this.
  9. wbhendrix

I couldn't agree more

Jack likes this.
  10. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Oh, I get the collecting part, I hung on to buying new albums on vinyl well into the early 90's probably much later than most who had moved to CD and I still have every one. It was always more about the music for me than the actual accumulating or the rarity, but I do get it.

I don't download (well hardly ever) and don't stream at all, it's pretty much CD's all the way for me when buying new music, so will be buying Ryan's new album on CD as I cannot justify spending double on the vinyl version when I have other priorities these days like my young daughter. I would have bought these 7" singles as well if any of the songs weren't to be on the album, and they were easy to get in the UK, but won't lose any sleep over it and it's Ryan that's losing out on the cash (I'm sure he can afford it :agree:).

11. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I can't wait for the album so I'll just make due with that. I sure I can stream the single and hear it somewhere.

12. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Reo Speedwagon?!!? Not in the least bit. It is, however, one of the best tunes I've heard from Ryan Adams in the last three or so albums he's released. Hoping the new album is equally as good. I never understood the love Ashes And Fire got, because I found that record to be pretty much of a snooze fest. Tried repeatedly to get into it, but I never did warm to it. Wish I could have seen his show here in Maine the other night, but couldn't get the night off.

13. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I see this is coming out on Blue Note vinyl, any thoughts on that. Current Blue Note vinyl has not been to my liking.

14. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

jpmosu likes this.
  15. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Because slow music can be good too.

rob303 likes this.
  16. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I was listening to Ashes and Fire on a drive late at night last night. I absolutely love that album!

gramfan, rob303 and Macman like this.
  17. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I have no issue with slow music, and generally prefer much of Ryan's more mellow stuff. I guess the point I was trying to make is that I thought that album was more boring than anything else. Three years on, I still can't recall one memorable tune off of it. Meanwhile "Something Good", a tune that is both slow and rocks, has been stuck in my head for weeks.

18. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Horses for courses.

rob303 likes this.
  19. wbhendrix

I love ashes and fire. I think it's one of his best albums! I like gimme something good but I also know deep down it's a cheap track.

By that I mean that the chorus and riffs are very repeating. I'm fine with that and really enjoy listening to it, but as of now I would say that ashes and fire album lyrics and chord progressions are much better written.

20. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

wbhendrix likes this.
  21. sandman012

sandman012 Member

22. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi Forum Resident

UK dates go on sale this week. London, Manchester & Glasgow royal concert hall. End September. I'm a huge fan, seen him 6 times since 2003.

23. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

24. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

PAX-AM is absolutely lame and I have been a big supporter of Ryan since 1997. I mostly don't have reason to complain. I have been able to buy some of these singles and I got my hands on a Live after Deaf set. With that being said, I think everyone should have the ability to grab at least these singles. The big box set I get being limited. Fine, but the singles? No way. On top of that when you do finally get to buy one, the shipping shouldn't be more than what it cost to buy the damn record. That has to be the biggest irritant of them all in this age of brick and mortar-less buying.

I'm not sure if I like the new single yet, but I'll be giving it another spin shortly.

jpmosu likes this.
  25. sandman012

sandman012 Member

Don't overthink it, not much subtlety to it, turn it up and enjoy the sound. <assuming you have the 45 :)>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.