Ryan Adams Self Titled album 9/9/2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wbhendrix, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Agree that this has a 80's rocker/ guitar sound. So much so that I'm storyboarding "Kim" for an Mtv video in my head.
    Dark, rainy neon....

2. john beacham

john beacham Forum Resident

Ok all you Ryan Adams fans, I don't want to give too much away, but I am now on my second listen to this fantastic album. Thanks NPR.

3. Gammondorf

Gammondorf Forum Resident

Does anyone know who his current band members are? Is Graboff still with him?

4. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

I can't force myself to like this .....so generic....I glad he's found a happy place tho...

Jack, GregK and Yorick like this.
  5. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I am throwing down a first listen on NPR's first listen.

I like.

6. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident Thread Starter

originally i didn't care for Gimme Something Good but over the last month or so i've really gotten into it. I find myself working and humming the tune or driving down the road singing it to myself lol

I'm listening to the NPR stream right now and i'm digging the vibe. Different and enjoyable.

7. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I love Ryan Adams, but I have listened through to this twice and it's not grabbing me in any way close to the way that Ashes and Fire or, say, Easy Tiger did. Not sure if it's the songs that are lacking that bit extra, or whether the generic arrangements and band sound are masking something more precious than first appearances are suggesting.

gramfan and Yorick like this.
  8. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Ryan has lost it.

Jack, GregK and gramfan like this.
  9. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

OTE="windfall, post: 10999596, member: 4102"]I love Ryan Adams, but I have listened through to this twice and it's not grabbing me in any way close to the way that Ashes and Fire or, say, Easy Tiger did. Not sure if it's the songs that are lacking that bit extra, or whether the generic arrangements and band sound are masking something more precious than first appearances are suggesting.[/QUOTE]
    I agree.....somethings missing....I cancelled my vinyl of this...something I thought I'd never do with a new release of his....

10. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident Thread Starter

woah woah... Ryan is notorious for his ups and downs - its a curse that comes with prolific artists like him (other examples: prince, neil young, bob dylan). Not everything they put out will be pure gold but that doesn't mean they 'lost it'

Honestly, there really hasn't been any ryan adams record that 'grabbed' me right away. I always found myself listening a few times and subconsciously comparing it to his other albums and feeling disappointed.... then a few months later i would find myself continually grabbing the album for another listen - then again... and again.

lol its a cycle i find very common when embracing one of my favorite artists new work. I have to let go of my expectations and try to see the artists view on why they wanted to make a record sound like this. That being said, there are some crappy albums out there by DRA - but overall i'm going to spare my final judgement until a few months from now. I suspect i'll be satisfied and accept the album for what it is.

11. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

1984 is genius. Haven't heard the new one yet, but he's still very much in play.

lowellmorris and wbhendrix like this.
  12. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

His 2005 releases "grabbed me" right away. Nothing since. I'm officially off the train. Good luck to you though, Ryan.

13. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

The TBY Ryan website fan say it sounds like Bon Jovi and the guitar sounds like Bryan Adams...like it's a good thing.....to each his own but........oh my....

Yorick likes this.
  14. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

I'm hoping for possibly the same results.......hoping.....hoping...

15. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

That's ridiculous, if anything it hews closer to what he was doing on Love Is Hell.. It's an excellent album from the 2 listens I've given it and it definitely plays to his poppier side which is something I appreciate.

16. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

17. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

18. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I hear more of a Tom Petty vibe than Bon Jovi or Bryan Adams, but whatever. One of RA's 80s quotes from the article referenced above makes it sound like he's been hanging around here: "Some people never found their way through that era, that sound."

I've only listened to it once so far, and I'll admit it didn't really grab me right away, but there are enough interesting textures, sounds and lyrics that I'll spend more time with it before I make up my mind. As for post-Whiskeytown Ryan Adams, the further the sound gets from americana, the better I like it.

19. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

- Mike Viola on guitar (of The Candy Butchers) who co-wrote and co-produced the album
    - Charlie Stavish on bass
    - Freddie Bokkenheuser on drums
    - Daniel Clarke on keyboards

Mike Viola is the only one of these names I'm familiar with, and his involvement makes me even more excited about the album, due to his prior output. He came to Adams via his work with Ryan's wife Mandy Moore, on her 2009 album Amanda Leigh, which Viola also produced, co-wrote and performed on. She was a big fan of his power pop solo career and work with the band The Candy Butchers (as am I). A friend of mine, when she wound up working Viola's Merch table some years back for a string of shows, actually met her. Moore just happened to be at the show one night, sat down next to my friend, and struck up a conversation with her. Said she was incredibly sweet.

wbhendrix and Gammondorf like this.
  20. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I think there may only be Mike Viola on the album though. Pretty sure Jeremy Stacey is playing drums on the album and Benmont Tench on keyboards. Can't remember who is playing bass off the top of my head.

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/ryan-adams-ryan-adams/0886444713290

Qobuz are selling a 24/96 version of the album for £11.99. Cancelling my CD pre order and buying this and the LP instead.

21. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

22. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Any word on how this was recorded - AAA, direct to 24/96, etc?

23. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Ryan records all analog. I know the Ashes and Fire vinyl was AAA so I assume this is the same

24. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Just got the vinyl. Warped. Big time. A friend of mine got his to. Same there. Very warped.. I think BN must shape up with the mainstream pressing. I've had loads of issues lately.

25. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

My copy is flat as can be and looks great. Didn't listen yet...so I wouldn't blame BN specifically.

rob303 and Jack like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.