S.H.'s...PEGGY LEE "LATIN ALA LEE" CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris C, Oct 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last! Thread Starter

S.H.'s...PEGGY LEE LATIN ALA LEE CD

This has PROBABLY been covered in a different thread that I missed, (SORRY) but I feel that it deserves to be refreshed because it's soooooo well done!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :) :) :)

to STEVE HOFFMAN

Peggy Lee "LATIN ALA LEE" is yet "ANOTHER" perfect example of Steve's great mastering work in the studio! I can only imagine the thrill it must have been to actually be at the Capitol Records Tower and hearing these songs where they were born!

The sound is that classic clean 1950's Capitol Records sound and has been so well perserved on this new CD that you'd swear that you are in the studio with Peggy! As a bonus, the song "Sweet Happy Life" has been added to the set (but THANKFULLY without that fake Stereo echo effect)!

GREAT JOB STEVE!

Fellow Hoffman forumers...DO NOT MISS THIS ONE!

Chris C

2. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

I got mine !!!!

Yes I have listened to it once.

It was mailed to me right from S&P. Thank you to Steve and Jeff aka HZ. It's very VERY good and AMAZING to me in many ways.

I will do my best when I have the time to give a review, as well as to have some questions to Steve.

I did wonder about that perhaps the original had that extra Full Dimensionl Stereo Reverb on it compared to Steve's master. Since I have nothing to compare his master to from an original vinyl pressing or even if it was ever produced onto a CD before this. I hope someone else could let me know it it ever was produced before now on CD. I'm sure the virgin vinyl edition of this has got to be awesome as well.

But as the New MacDonalds commercials new tag line states, "I'm Lovin It":thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

3. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Beatle Terr,

DCC released Latin Ala Lee! on Aluminum Disc. Great sounding DCC.

All the best,

Gary

4. syogusr

syogusr New Member

Yes, this is another winner from Steve, I picked this up on Wednesday; and I am loving every minute of it. It seems that I am sitting at the recording sessions the very minute they were going on!

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I'm glad you guys like this. I didn't want to drown it in echo like the original, because that obscures the intimate sound of Peggy Lee's voice, not to mention the instrumentation. It really helped that I could mix the album in the exact same space that it was originally recorded, that really helped me with the "spirit" of the project....

Dig that first snare drum "whack" in "Sweet Happy Life" right as Peggy starts to sing. Love it!

Mister Triscuits likes this.
  6. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Where would one look for this?

7. Gary Freed

Tower lists the S &P Latin ala Lee for $11.99

Steve,

What are is the difference between the DCC and the S &P in terms of mastering.

Thanks,

Gary

8. Steve Hoffman

Everything, Gary.

The DCC was essentially unmixed, just a dry transfer. In retrospect, it sucks because of that; no depth, no character.

This time, (with the help of Capitol/EMI), I got to use the real deal for the remix.

The mastering is the same, it's the mix that has drastically improved. Please understand that the original two-track mix from 1959 is so drenched in unattractive reverb that it really is unusable. Hence the remix.

9. Beatle Terr

Steve,
    I was quite sure upon listening to the first 12 cuts of the CD that I know I'd heard this LP when I was very young.

So I had to figure that my guess this would be as you said " Drenched in unattactive Reverb." Yikes !!!

However there is just enough on there to make it very pleasant and to clearly hear all those beautiful background parts of harmony guitar playing.

I wish I knew who the session musicians were as far as the guitarist's and bass player.

Also was Peggy's voice originally centered as it seems to be on your remix??

10. Beatle Terr

Gary,
    Thanks my friend, I really didn't know that and now I have read Steve's explanation about how it was basically a dry transfer for the DCC version .

This of course would make the new remix the best of them all. It is a *MUST* have if you really appreciate this kind of music.

Not only because of it being arranged with the Latin flavor, but because these songs are such fantastic broadway hit standards that I would have ready to play at any type of General Business type of gig. Or as we call it a "GB" gig.

It's not only the songs but Peggy's wonderful voice still sounding like her own and not trying to really sound like she was anticipating to sing it with someone eles's Latin style. In other words, *YOU* know this is Peggy Lee right away!:thumbsup: :D

Such a well job done by her, Jack Marshall and of course Steve's honest interpitation of the vocal's and the music remix and mastered perfectly.:thumbsup::D

11. Gary Freed

Beatle Terr,

Peggy Lee was amazing.

If you really like her a lot check out the following. Both Sound fantastic.

Beauty and the Beat
    Sugar and Spice

make sure they are the recent releases mastered by Ron McMaster over at
    Blue Note/Capitol Jazz

You won't be disappointed with either of these releases.

Musical arrangements are very well done, and Lee's interpretations are right on.

12. Steve Hoffman

Beauty and the Beat
    Sugar and Spice

Better yet, wait for the S&P versions....

13. PaulB

PaulB Forum Resident

I've been asking around for these titles up here in Toronto, Canada...HMV still doesn't list it...and Sam's says Bewitching is on order. I can't order these titles online cause I don't have a credit card :( Any one know any stores in Toronto I can get them?

14. Gary Freed

15. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Hmmmm...

Recently ordered the DCC Latin from CD Connection. It shipped but hasn't arrived yet.
    Should I flog it e-bay while it's still sealed and go for the S&P?

16. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Steve, I picked up an 'All Aglow Again!' (original) LP this past summer and I'm cleaning it up, hope to play it this weekend. It was released a couple months after LaL and I'm curious if what you said above applies to this as well. Also, do you know if this is the same group of musicians? I'm planning on picking up Latin Ala Lee and it will be interesting to compare. If it's apples & oranges, I understand.

17. Steve Hoffman

Heck no, get them both!

18. Steve Hoffman

I have not heard ALL AGLOW AGAIN, but any original LP from that era is neat to have, echo or not!

19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I forgot this was released. I'll have to get it next week.

Steve, do you know what titles you're going to be doing for EMI UK yet (if you can say)?

20. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Does S&P have a website yet?

21. Chris C

F.Y.I.

I picked up my copy of "Latin Ala Lee" at my local BORDERS BOOKS & MUSIC for $11.99

Chris C

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Which version
    DCC or S&P?

23. Beatle Terr

YES I most certainly do. Good job all through this Steve. Peggy's voice is so crystal clear.

Oh and for us Beatle fans, her version of Til There Was You, is so nice including that ending chord being played. I'm sure the Beatles were hip to this version before recording it as well as performing it too!

24. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Absolutely A Great re-mastering job by Steve once again. I picked this up a week or so ago too and just love the sound quality. If you like Peggy Lee this is a must have !

25. Chris C

S&P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.