S-Video or Composite: which is better?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by efhjr, May 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast Thread Starter

I just bought a new TV, and am wondering about video cables: is Composite better than S-Video? I can use either, and would love some advice before I plunk down some cash for quality cables.

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Composite? One RCA cable? Nah, S-Video is better. Or do you mean component, which is still better than S-Video?

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I was told by many sources that component video was the best...

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

S video has worked better for me in just about every case. Depends on the situation.

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

In my situation, I can only do composite video or I can buy a Composite To S-Video adapter for now, but what I am willing to do is to wait until LCD TVs drop down in price even lower than they have dropped down to allow me to make a better investment for the future. My current settlement is composite video.

6. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

As am I. They'll have to get them up to at least 42 inches though.

7. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast Thread Starter

D'oh! Good catch -- yes, I meant component.

Anyway, it looks like more people are saying component is better. Thanks for the input, folks.

8. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

It depends. If your TV's comb filter is better than your source's (DVD, VCR or LD player), use the composite (RCA). Otherwise, use the S-Video.

9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I would not be able to afford a 42" TV due to my budget though.

10. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I'm with Sckott on this one. I prefer s-video to component - but as he said it probably depends on the equipment/situation.
    I am looking forward to hooking up my DVI out on my universal when I get a DVI/HDMI compatable TV.

11. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

If you have a progressive scan DVD player as your source, then component will almost always be better.

:cheers:
    Cat

12. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Exactly. And it makes no sense to use the S-Video if your source has component outputs.

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

If you have any DVD player that does component out, it should always be better.

The video signal has three components that your TV uses to display the image.

Component video outputs the three components with no filtering required of your TV
    S-video outputs the luminance signal separately from the two color signals, which your TV's filters must separate.
    Composite video outputs a single signal which your TV's filters must separate into its three components.
    RF video outputs a radio frequency signal your TV's tuner must first de-modulate into a composite signal and then fliter into its three components.

Since DVD's store video in component form, the minimum signal path soulution is to use the component outputs. Laserdiscs and standard VHS tapes are native composite video sources, however, so which input will look better is a function of whether your player or TV has better filters for separating the composite signals into their individual components.

Regards,

14. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Always use component for DVD when you can.

Always use S-Video on the following when you can:
    VHS
    S-VHS
    standard-def Digital Cable box
    standard-def Digital Satellite box

With laserdisc or an analog cable box, it depends on whether or not the comb filter in your TV is better than the one in the component.

I disagree with Ken's assessment that VHS is a native composite format. Most people do think this is the case. It is stored using a separated 'chroma under' method, same as S-VHS. Of course, most non-SVHS decks don't include an s-video out.

15. Ken_McAlinden

Aaaahhh. My bad. Michael is correct. I haven't dissected a VCR in a while, and I was confusing my inputs and outputs.

Regards,

16. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

17. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Heck, I only wish I was as wrong as rarely as you are.

18. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Component WILL beat S.
    HOWEVER, you will HAVE to recalibrate your monitor too get the benefit of component over S. If you do not recalibrate, the benefit is minimal (if at all). Of coarse if you re-c for C, your other input's WILL 'suffer'.
    So............ S, if your using more than one input.
    Or............ C, if your prime (DVD, etc.) source is THE most important too U.
    Unless...... U can do video setup's for EACH input!!!

19. Ken_McAlinden

Well, there are a few ways around this. One is if your TV has separate saveable video settings (like Sony TVs with "standard", "movie", "vivid", and/or "sports" settings). You can set one for S-video and one for component.

On my 36" Sony WEGA, I made adjustments through the service menu that got my S-Video and Component video inputs in line with each other. I set the normal color and hue controls dead center and then calibrated each input to match via the service menu.

Regards,

20. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

21. stypee

stypee New Member

Unless you have a compatible television that has component input than it would be a great investment; those dam cables are expensive as hell. Fortunately I have a Toshiba set that gives me all options and I went with an S VIDEO cable. Have to say the picture is really, really gorgeous. I can't afford the component cables and was extremely pleased with the quality a 14.99 S cable gave me from Best Buy ;)

22. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

If you DON'T have a compatible telivision, then indeed, the investment would be a waste, but if you DO have a compatible TV then the relative cost favors component over S-Video. In fact, dependent upon the kind of cables you choose the pricing runs the gamut.

:cheers:
    Cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.