Sabin Brunet: deadwax variations in lacquers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BarneyRubble, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I know I'm only going to attract a certain minority of the thread here, but I wanted to ask a question with regards to a certain genre/geographical area which is particularly of interest to me, and this genre/area pretty much needs to reference the guy who came closest to single-handedly mastering the entire movement: Sabin Brunet. Located in Montreal, this guy's initials (SNB) appears on almost every last pressing from Quebec which wasn't either mastered at JAMF (in Toronto, Ontario) or Masterdisk... and from my collection, it seems SNB appears way more often than JAMF or M on Quebec/French-Canada progressive releases from the 1970's. And he was able to keep a business going until somewhere around 2010, making the conversion to CD somewhere along the way. Needless to say, he's done some nice-sounding masters in his time. :love:

However, another thing I've noticed was the very scarce variation in deadwax markings for virtually any SNB release (in fact, I've only seen one: the added "Q" which appears in the deadwax for what I believe are early copies of Harmonium's self-titled debut). I understand the Quebec market was smaller than, say, the anglophone North American one... but when albums like Fiori-Séguin's "Deux cents nuits à l'heure" and Beau Dommage's "Où est passé la noce?" shipped platinum (that's 100,000 copies instead of a million, north of the border), I find it hard to believe record labels would have used the same stampers and lacquers over, and over, and over again... In these two cases, we're talking CBS and Capitol-EMI, respectively; these are far from independent releases! Discogs is also mighty silent on the issue (although, truth be told, maybe we're just missing dedicated deadwax sleuths interested in musical offerings from "La belle province".

Does anyone know of any variations to look for in SNB-mastered releases? Can one detect an early pressing, or are we left to our ears alone?

Thanks again!:righton:

2. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Found this while hunting for Sabin Brunet references on the board:
    Canadian vinyl pressings...how are they?

I don't recall seeing any of the variants listed above... only SNB. But then again, I'm dealing strictly with 1970's French-Canadian progressive music, so I'm guessing this era either preceeded SNB's prime years doing mastering, or were very limited work compared to, say, mastering Dire Straits' "Brothers in Arms" for national release...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.