SACD Hybrid Vs. SHM-CD Platinum

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by juanra74, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juanra74

juanra74 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello!
    I want to upgrade some cds of my collection and I would like to know if a SHM-CD platinum is better than a SACD hybrid when you don't have a SACD player.

Thanks, :)

2. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

SHM is simply a manufacturing process tweak. A redbook layer on an SACD is analogous to a CD, which is what an SHM-CD still is.

Some SHM-CDs have a unique mastering, but many of them use existing masterings from other CD releases.

If you're looking for a difference in sound quality, get a different mastering of whatever album it is you're looking for.

bigsled, Coricama, DK Pete and 3 others like this.
  3. juanra74

Thanks! The point is that I would like to upgrade sound quality (even with the same mastering) without buying a sacd player, but maybe I should start save money...

rxcory likes this.
  4. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

It's a case by case scenario, of course, but all things being equal, the SACD layer will be better that the redbook layer, no doubt about that.

But any way you cut it, mastering is the key.

Dave, Kristofa, Starwanderer and 2 others like this.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I would not fall for any of those terms. The real deal is to look up on this forum whatever album you wish to upgrade and find the best mastering. It could be SHM, SACD, or none of the above.

6. RHCD

RHCD Reverend Bong

you don't need to save up for long for an SACD player, there are very good pre-bluray universal players out there as cheap as chips. I use a Denon DVD-2900 (original list price about £800, bought in mint condition on eBay for £29). It's excellent both at redbook and SACD replay.

mbrownp1 and juanra74 like this.
  7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The titles that have been released on Platinum SHM-CDs have also been released on single-layer SACDs. Thus, the SACDs have no CD layers. Since you don't have an SACD player, don't buy the SHM-SACDs.

Otherwise, don't get caught up in SHM. It comes down to the mastering first, then the format. For Platinum SHM-CDs and corresponding SHM-SACDs that have the same mastering, I find that the SACDs sound better. SACD offers depth and warmth that CD cannot match in my opinion (again, considering the same mastering).

PhantomStranger and juanra74 like this.
  8. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Just check to see which discs are mastered better and forget about abbreviations and fancy names.

klockwerk, Dave, Starwanderer and 2 others like this.
  9. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

The OP asked specifically if an SHM-Platinum CD sounds better than the redbook layer of a Hybrid-SACD.
    Given that they use the same mastering the answer is NO.
    The discs are digitally identical and will sound exactly the same no matter what some snake oil lovers will tell you.

10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Rarely have I seen such consensus on this forum. :)

11. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

Who cares, MAGMA sounds good underwater....

juanra74 and Artyom Yakovlev like this.
  12. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I don't believe that many SACD hybrids exist of equivalent SHM Platinum masterings, some Stones titles but that's all I can think of.

mbrownp1 and juanra74 like this.
  13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

What Hybrid SACDs share mastering with Platinum SHM-CDs? Many of the Platinums share mastering with Single layer SACDs, but I am not aware of any hybrid SACD releases that do..

None of the Platinum SHM CD Stones titles have a corresponding Hybrid SACD only single layer. A couple ABKCO titles had SHM-SACD releases and 2002 ABKCO hybrid releases, but they were not issued in the platinum release, AFAIK.

Master_It_Right, juanra74 and ricks like this.
  14. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Right you are.

15. Artyom Yakovlev

Artyom Yakovlev Active Member

:winkgrin:
    Exactly. Their CD masterings from Studio Zünd (I believe the masterings are the same as the first CD editions of their albums) are exceptional. They preserve the natural sound of the band without any tweaking or effects.

juanra74 likes this.
  16. juanra74

Thank you very much, you helped me a lot! :agree:

17. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

I agree that mastering is key. That said, it also helps to have the flexibility to play the disc of your choice. When I was looking for a new DVD player a bunch of years ago, a very wise friend suggested a Denon DVD-1940CI, which was far from cutting edge (and only $99 new). I'm still using it, but primarily as a CD/SACD player, including 5.1 playyback. I'd suggest looking for a great player that's getting phased out - I think you could find a good deal.

klockwerk, Kristofa and juanra74 like this.
  18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

SHM in and of itself, is a rip off.

Dave likes this.
  19. sszorin

sszorin Forum Resident

Rock music is a rip-off. It's nice when it's quiet.

mbrownp1, stever and mestreech like this.
  20. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

In my understanding you have some Hybrid SACDs, which you're using as Reg. CDs. Does it make sense to upgrade them to Pt SHM-CD?

You can feel the difference of Pt SHM-CD only in Hi-End system. In Reg. system Pt and non-Pt will sound the same.

Pt/non-Pt have a new Flat Transfer from Original Master Tape, which is not always sounds great. Those of them that sound great, can beat different remaster of CD layer of SACD or may not. (Very often, when both remasters done right, the sound is a matter your personal preferences).

To find out go to our threat The best SHM-SACDs (part1), (part2) and (part3) and find comments on SHM-SACD vs. Hybrid SACD version of your titles. It will be similar to Pt/non-Pt vs. Hybrid CD layer.

I would save this money to upgrade to SACD player in a future and listen your Hybrid SACDs in full potential.

21. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

Don't bother with an SHM CD version of a mastering you already own.

DK Pete likes this.
  22. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

OK. I want The Band - Cahoots. Which has better mastering, the MoFi hybrid SACD or the SHM-SACD?

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I don't have a recommendation for that particular album, but someone on here should be able to help you. The better mastering may be neither of those.

24. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

SHM-SACD IMO.

Soundlabs, joelee, art and 1 other person like this.
  25. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

Thanks! A straight answer.

Soundlabs and joelee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.