SACD player software

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MorgothQ, May 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MorgothQ

MorgothQ New Member Thread Starter

Anyone know where I might find software for playing an SACD on a computer? Or if it's incompatable with a PC DVD player? Just got "Dark Side of the Moon", and I want to listen to it, but see no reason to sink a few hundred dollars into a SACD player, since most of what I listen to will probably never come out on SACD. Well, not for 20 or 30 years, anyway.
    Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

It's a hybrid - you'll be able to listen to the CD layer, although if you wanted to listen to the CD you might have bought a different pressing. I found a used Harvest (JPN) pressing the other day for $6. Sounds pretty good. Most of the reports on the CD sound on the SACD are not encouraging.

Regards,
    Geoff

3. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

You will have trouble listening to the CD layer if your ROM is a DVD-ROM. Many do... I should say....

THere is no decoding for the DSD layer on a computer.

4. MorgothQ

Is that because a computer can't read the SACD layer, or is it because no one makes software that can access and decode it?

5. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

MorgothQ

Is that because a computer can't read the SACD layer, or is it because no one makes software that can access and decode it?

I think it's the latter as I understand that most of the new universal players use standard computer IDE DVD rom drives, but I don't really know. I have scoured the net looking for information, but have come up with little so far.

Jeff

6. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

It is a software issue - SACDs are to all intents and purpose a form of DVD with different data encoding - theory being what theory is it should be possible to write code to read the discs and then using some DSP or dedicated audio card do the DSD to Analog conversion.

All the best - Andrew

7. MorgothQ

That's more or less what I thought, but I wasn't sure.
    Anyone know of any future software or Open Source project related to SACD software decoders, or do Sony and Philips charge outrageous licencing fees, prohibiting said development?

8. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

I have also heard, but do not know for sure, that SACDs have watermarks embedded in the disc that would not, for example, allow bit for bit duplication with a DVDRW drive. You could copy the bits, but the player would not allow you to play the duplicate if it did not have the watermarking.
    As to an Open Source project for the purposes of reading SACDs, I think this is a long way off. Many of the people who can really do this work are far more interested in DVD and MP3 than they are in the last word in high resolution audio.
    Jeff
    PS My local BestBuy's decent SACD selection has disappeared.

9. MorgothQ

I'm not really interested in making copies, I was just looking for a way to play SACD's without purchasing a new CD player. Looks like I may have to, though. Oh, well.

10. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Hi MorgothQ,

An excellent argument can be made that you should be allowed to make copies or 'backups,' which with hybrid SACDs you more or less can by copying the CD layer. That said, I was not suggesting ways to copy SACDs, but hurtles that would have to be overcome in order to make SACD reading software for computers. And as always with computers, once something can be read, it can always be copied. It may just take a day or so.

That said, I have been buying absolutely lovely classical Decca and DG SACDs lately for only a small premium to their CD counterparts and they sound absolutely fantastic. Many SACDs due to indifferent masterings or poor source material don't sound all that much better than cds. I can't therefore wait to get my hands on a Steve Hoffman mastered SACD, and as I understand it from the last newsletter, I won't have long to wait either.

Jeff

11. MorgothQ

Thanks for the help guys! Looks like I'll be posting something on /. and see if anyone knows anything over there. If I do find anything, I'll make sure and post it over here.

12. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

I read /. fairly religiously and can't seem to remember a single mention of SACD (though Google will prove me wrong.) Do let us know if you find anything. I am very interested. Jeff

13. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock

You don't have to wait at all, I think -- the Creedence SACDs were all the rage 'round here recently! All of them came out except the last 2, which are now being mastered. I don't have a player but Steve's Creedence was a RAVE.

14. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Hey Li'l Fred.
    I didn't know that. Thanks. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.