Saint Etienne vinyl reissue in Oct - whole back catalogue of LPs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Porkpie, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Throughout October all the studio albums from So Tough through to Tales From Turnpike House are being issued on vinyl (including the Christmas fanclub release Glimpse of Stocking). Amazon and Rough Trade have the listed.

Tracklisting is a bit strange though as most of them are listed as two disc deluxe issues with up to 17 tracks a disc. They're albums aren't particularly short so I wonder if the tracklisting is correct whether the sound will suffer.

Lance LaSalle and Defrance like this.
  2. Porkpie

Tickets for their UK Christmas tour also go on sale at 9am tomorrow

3. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

"Like ‘Foxbase Alpha’ which was re-issued last October these remastered editions come as exact replicas of the original albums complete with printed inner sleeves. These are the best pressings to date and we’re certain you’ll be pleased. All come with a special download postcard inside so you can enjoy the music digitally too.

These limited editions - like the recently re-issued Deluxe Edition CD’s - will be available from all good record shops and online retailers as well as our own webshop here.

Release dates for these are as follows:

'So Tough and Tiger Bay' - released 27th October
    'Continental and Good Humor' - released 3rd November
    'Sound Of Water and Finisterre' - released 10th November
    'Tales From Turnpike House' - released 17th November "

4. Porkpie

Has anyone ordered any of these? So Tough and Tiger Bay are out tomorrow in the UK but Amazon still isn't showing the cover art and delivery dates is 9 Oct as opposed to day of release. I wonder if they actually have them in stock or if there will be a delay

Dave Garrett likes this.
  5. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

I had no idea these were even being reissued... that's great news!

Porkpie likes this.
  6. Porkpie

They seem to have each album listed twice at slightly different prices and release dates. I guess will have to wait for the 27th for the first two

7. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

They are all listed on Amazon.ca. I am baffled as to why St.E only communicated this via a mailing list. There's nothing to be seen on Twitter or Facebook. I wish they'd designed a box to put them all in, too.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  8. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Excellent news!

9. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

I can't understand why St Et haven't got these up on their own site yet. I have them all pre-ordered with Amazon but would rather buy direct given the option, which did seem to be the suggestion.

I did ask the same question on their Twitter the other day but haven't heard anything.

10. Porkpie

Is anyone planning on picking these up? The first two (So Tough & Tiger Bay) are released tomorrow but Amazon isn’t offering the usual Prime day of delivery option which makes me think there might be a delay from the manufacturers.

11. Porkpie

As suspected, today the day of release, Amazon is showing “temporarily out of stock, expected in 2 - 4 weeks”.

Has anyone seen them in a record shop today?

12. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

They weren't in Rough Trade this morning.

I'm holding off on ordering as I've just overspent my record budget for this (next) month already. But I will get them all eventually!

Defrance and tully500 like this.
  13. Porkpie

I’ve spent horrible amount of vinyl this month. I actually dread to think. I’m going to wait too to see what the pressings are like

Defrance and portlandjulian like this.
  14. Dmkbox

Dmkbox Well-Known Member

Juno list them both

15. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I don't have the new So Tough, but I did pick up the Fox Base Alpha reissue and it is excellent. I have the original UK pressing and mine is very noisy in places, the FBA reissue is dead quiet start to finish. The artwork is also well done, a bit washed out on the back cover but otherwise very close to the original.

anyway, quality-wise I expect these new reissues to be similar to FBA. The one I'm really looking forward to is Continental since it's the only one where I don't have the original pressing.

portlandjulian likes this.
  16. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I got their email but had forgotten about these. I had meant to see if my local store could get them for me. They definitely did not have the first 2 yesterday. I'm not sure if they would have ordered them without someone asking though, they tend to not automatically bring in pricey imports. I'll have to inquire again. I'd really like these...

17. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

I shall visit my local bricks and mortar store later to see if they have them in stock, just to LOOK at them mind you. :)Yesterday I spent ages look at the FOPP Bristol twitter page, oh how I miss that place !!!!!!!!!:cry::cry::cry:

18. Porkpie

Funny you should say that, I caved and bought both in there today!

19. portlandjulian

So now I know who to send my Fopp wants list too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):)

Porkpie likes this.
  20. Porkpie

I wanted to listen to these earlier but I’ve picked up a bug from my 16-month old and it’s wiped me out! (Stay away from sick babies is my advice, I’m very well acquainted with the toilet bowl now :shake:). My plan was to chill out today and start playing music early and I’ve only just managed to get out of bed at 2pm!

Anyway, the point is I put on the So Tough album and it sounds fantastic. The vinyl itself is clean, flat & quiet and the music itself sounds great. The bass on Mario’s Cafe really stood out straight away. I’ll report back later if I make it to Tiger Bay!

21. Porkpie

Not sure if you’re aware but Rise/Friska on the triangle has shutdown. Friska has new premises on Park St (not half as good as the original place) and Rise has a pop-up shop opposite until the new store, a merger with Rough Trade, opens on Nelson St. Apparently it will be massive, again with a cafe and space for bands to play live. I’m looking forward to having a RT in Bristol!

portlandjulian likes this.
  22. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

To continue the digression, my main concern is the risk of ‘Rough Trade tax’, with everything costing a few extra quid just because it has a Rough Trade sticker on it. They’ve resisted since Rough Trade have been involved in Rise Bristol, but I’m not optimistic.

portlandjulian and Porkpie like this.
  23. Porkpie

Good point, Rise was/is pretty reasonable with a number of bargains. A few months ago I bought 3 IDIB/Chromatics releases on vinyl, all sealed, for £7 each. That would never happen in Rough Trade.

24. portlandjulian

I was going to mention Rise as well, very fond memories of the place. I would often go there on an extended lunch break. A really nice selection of cds and vinyl, as well as a good book selection. Books are so expensive here compared to the bargains you can get at Rise or Fopp. They did email me to let me know that they were closing and moving etc and I thought damm another place that I miss :) Still will be great to have a RT shop in Bristol.

25. portlandjulian

Quote of the day for me :)

Porkpie likes this.