salò criterion dvd toward $1000 on ebay!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ezio gallino, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ezio gallino

ezio gallino New Member Thread Starter

Lookin on ebay at searching criterion i've seen a criterion salò of pasolini in buy it now at $950. Someone is going crazy in this world. If i bought a pair of dozen 2 years ago I'll have less problem now.

sweet

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

And how many people paying outrageous prices for this particular DVD even want to watch or re-watch it? Ah, the power of the complete set!

3. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I actually watched this once.........................................................once.

(The laserdisc, not the DVD)

4. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Doesn't mean it will sell. For a grand you can get the criterion Videodrome and have $960 left over for whatever.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...in this case, I believe the bootleg Salo DVD's RAISED the value of the real deal! I wouldn't be surprised if it went higher a few years down the road...

6. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I love weird movies, foreign films, good "art" cinema, and fims that challenge the viewer. I also never get offended or disgusted. But I challenge anyone to actually watch this movie and not freak out. It's utterly disgusting and if it was supposed to make me think about anything, it failed. I'm sorry, but does anyone actually like this movie?

7. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

I also tend to think of myself as pretty open minded and I love offbeat movies (and music!) too.
    Still, I just cannot bring myself to watch this one. Can't do it, man...
    :shake:
    Peace-
    Norm

8. dcooper

dcooper New Member

From what I've heard about the movie, it seems depraved. I understand it is supposed to be some sort of statement about fascism, but like Mike said, the images may make it impossible to see the symbolism.

That being said, why would Criterion release this film, especially so early in it's production of DVDs? Why would they place so much importance on it if it is virtually unwatchable?

9. GregY

GregY New Member

Yes. Here's one link:
    http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/00/4/salo.html

I've only watched it once, more for shock value than anything else, and it is tough. I feel that shock films certainly have their place. Think of it this way: which is a person more likely to remember -- a viewing of Salo or a viewing of the latest Hugh Grant / Julia Roberts piece of garbage? :)

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I remember certain invasive medical procedures very vividly, but I wish I did not and wouldn't recommend that anybody pay a premium for them if they don't need them. :)

Regards,

11. ezio gallino

ezio gallino New Member Thread Starter

I've seen it once in 1982 when for a short period returned to cinema after all copies circulating in ITALY were burned (YES! It was 1974, after a judgement, with Bertolucci's Last tango in Paris (?)) I never wanted to see it again : I realized that is a film uncomfortable and uneasy; instinct lead to remove it: BUT it shows something we have inside, something that noone else showed; Character of Pasolini (apart of is sad and still unexplained death) was to be unique and ahead of his times; He in the fifties was first to talk about OMOLOGATION (that means everybody wear nikes, buys sony, drives bmw etc.) that is part of our life now.
    IF he wasn't died he could explain (in tribunal at first) what he intended...
    I don't know if I ever want to see it again...

12. GregY

GregY New Member

Hahahaha... Good point. :)

13. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

Sold mine for $450 last year. Haven't regretted it for a minute.

14. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I had a similar reaction. My experience with this film only caused me to regret that I had seen it. It did not make me think about anything other than how disgusting so many of its images were. I didn't even manage to sit through the entire thing, leaving the theater about 20 minutes before it was over.

It does puzzle me that people would be willing to pay an exhorbitant amount of money for this dvd. Isn't it in print somewhere else in the world? I could have sworn I've seen copies in the "import" section at Amoeba. Granted, one needs an all-region player that does PAL to NTSC conversion to watch such a dvd in the U.S., but getting a player to do that apparently would cost far less than some people are willing to pay for this dvd.

15. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I thought I was a pretty level headed person, a Navy veteran who had seen almost everything that could be seen over time. I saw this used LaserDisc in a bin when Lasers were "going away" so for $10 a gave it a shot. It did seem strange at first, and I was uncomfortable, but still OK with it, until they got to the part at the dinner table. UGH! What was that?? It still makes me wonder how I sat through it. I kept expecting that there was a redeeming value at the end, but the end was as sickening as this section.

Man, I would NEVER sit through that movie again, EVER. That Laser went on eBay and I got almost $100 for it. People always want to see something forbidden and gross, I know I did! :D

Sometime, it pays to just pass things by.

(Of course, now you all want to see it more!)

16. jeff e.

jeff e. Member

Well, I think part of its enduring appeal is the fact that it is generally regarded as one of the most "extreme" films ever made, and it definitely lives up (or down) to its reputation. There are a lot of jaded moviegoers out there looking for something shocking, and SALO definitely fits the bill. It is probably the most legendary "extreme" film ever made, and the fact that it is so hard to get just makes it that much more desireable.

Though it's not my favorite Pasolini film (that would be "The Gospel According to St. Matthew"), I have to admit that I have a certain respect and admiration for it and will pull out my old Criterion laserdisc every now and then. But of course, I've also read the original source material ("The 120 Days of Sodom" by the Marquis de Sade). If you think the film is extreme, try to make it through the book.

I guess that makes me some kind of deviated prevert. Oh well, I'm in good company--it's one of John Waters' favorite films. :D

17. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Sorry for the stupid question (I haven't seen this film) but what's so disgusting about this movie?

18. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Really, somebody PM me and tell me what this movie is about since it's obvious we cant talk about it here. I think we talked about this movie before, but I cant remember what it's about.

19. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

20. GregY

GregY New Member

The reason it fetches so much is because it's a Criterion Collection disc and thus, is one in a numbered series. If you don't have Salo, which was one of the earliest discs, you don't have the entire collection.

Here's a plot summary from IMDB (slightly edited):

21. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

That plot summary makes the film sound much tamer than it is, in my opinion.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

..strength in numbers:rolleyes: one disgusting movie, I see no artistic value...Wish I had a bunch to sell...

23. jeff e.

jeff e. Member

Have you actually seen it? I agree that it is disgusting, but I do see the artistic value. Just because you personally don't like it doesn't mean it has no value.

24. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

To be fair, Michael said that he did not see artistic value in the film. He didn't make a blanket statement that everyone necessarily agrees with him. Based on my one viewing of the film many years ago, I'm inclined to agree with Michael's point of view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.