Satisfaction in Stereo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sckott, Aug 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Doc,

To me, a good mix is a good mix. The stereo mix of "It's All Over Now" rules.

But a bad mix is a bad mix. The old "Satisfaction" in stereo really bites.

Stereo or mono comes second for me. If there was a decent mix in true stereo of "Satisfaction" that captures the feel of the original hit mix, I'll embrace it!

Same goes for any other song. "Sympathy For The Devil" is the same damn mix on the new disc, just at a different speed. If you heard a new mix and things were different on it, you might not love it.....

Then again, you might. Who knows? Let's wait for the 5:1 version and see. ;)

2. Dr. Roberts

Dr. Roberts Forum Resident

Steve,

I don't want some engineer screwing around with rock classics. I'm a purist just like you are. But, if there are two faithful versions available, one in mono, and the other in stereo, I'll take the latter every time.

Didn't you question George Martin's decison on the first four Beatle's cd's?

Dr. Roberts

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Dr. Roberts,

IMO, an engineer doing a stereo mix after the mono mix has been established as the hit, or "definitive" mix could be considered "screwing around" with rock classics in my book! Why? Because most of the time they just don't capture the sound on the original mono hit single, the one that everyone loved the first time around, the one mix that gave it it's hit qualities.

Stereo/mono is also secondary to me, maybe not even third or fourth!

4. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Glad you brought this up, Doc. I haven't done a head-to-head comparison yet, but as I recollect, the Arcade boot might be tons more dynamic too. It might be a little rougher in spots, but I think, overall, that Strictly Stereo might top Hot Rocks on every single common track. That's just a first impression though...

5. Dr. Roberts

Dr. Roberts Forum Resident

My point exactly SGB. The Arcade boot is a must have now that the reissue is a done deal.

Dr. Roberts

6. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

Just heard the new mix, and I agree: balance & rockability.

7. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

Yes, it sounds simply astonishing, doesn't it? That rocking stereo 'bottom' reminds me of the sound on Elvis's Little Sister - naturally exciting!

8. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I haven't heard the new mix yet, but (if I might be permitted to mention the opposition, as some used to see it) weren't there some Beatles tracks like "Dr. Robert", "I'm Only Sleeping", and "And Your Bird Can Sing" mixed more or less that way in 1966 (OK, missed by a year)? Most of the music on those tracks is (sloppily) centered, with the vocals delayed left/right, as I recall.

9. Steve Hoffman

Of course, also most Beach Boys mixes of the era. Fine and good; I love that sound!

Now, if you took "Dr. Robert", mixed all of the voices and backing track to mono and just split the guitar in stereo, putting it down really low in the mix, it would be from a much later era.

Big difference. Sigh.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've been busy the past few days. A few notes:

- IMO the best way to hear Satisfaction in stereo is to take the Hot Rocks mix, bring the left channel to center a bit, lower the right channel, and add a touch of EQ. I know Bob Lovely has hear this and agrees it comes damn close to the mono mix, yet with decent separation.

- Every bootleg version (Strictly Stereo, etc) I've heard sounds like the Hot Rocks version with noise reduction added. Stay away from the boots, and find a copy of the original Hot Rocks version.

- While those Beach Boys stereo mixes had music centered and vocals split, those were *two* vocal tracks, not just a single vocal track with delay added.

11. peter

peter Senior Member

Okay, cool, everybody, I need to get more of those London CD's. (I have 3--a German 12 x 5, a German BTB and a Japanese PL33 series of the first UK LP). Once again, thanks for all the input. But now, 2 more questions:

1. Can anyone tell me the URL's for the sites that had the Jap. and German London Stones CD discographies? I printed these out already but lost them. (I already started a thread on this too.) I already have Luke's stuff.

2. Is HR1 the only place to hear a legit true stereo mix of "Get Off Of My Cloud?" Any legit vinyl out there?

12. Steve Hoffman

Legit vinyl for "Cloud" in stereo? No. Just German Hot Rocks, the one mastered by MoFi....

As for the rest, the experts can chime in now~

13. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Luke and Friends,

Luke gave me the opportunity to listen to the Stereo version as he describes above, and yes, it sounds surprisingly "right" with the correct power, impact and delay, etc. It is, of course, a narrow Stereo mix but it clearly shows what is possible when great care is taken.

Bob:)

14. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Steve,

"Cloud" is in true stereo on the MoFi "Hot Rocks" vinyl. I have the MoFi box set. However "Satisfaction" is mono. Go figure!!!

Joe!

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Alright, I have not heard Luke's tweak of "Satisfaction". I would like to hear it. Make a believer out of me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.