Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2013-2014 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

That is a fair statement. I'm just saying that some seasons have been saved with a strong December or May.

Does anyone have a list of the remaining hosts/musical guests? There may be three episodes left not four.

2. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

There are three shows left, but the guests have been announced for only the first of them.

May 3: Andrew Garfield / Coldplay
    May 10
    May 17

3. Marry a Carrot

Update:

May 10: Charlize Theron / The Black Keys
    May 17: Andy Samberg / St. Vincent

4. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Thank you.

I expect the last episode will be a reunion show with more than just Andy.

5. Shaping up to be another terrible episode. Some good bits during the Family Feud skit, but otherwise? LAME. The cold open and "Oliver Twist" bits were particularly *****, because endless.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2014
  6. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Yep, the Oliver Twist thing was dreadful. Oliver Twist? The show wasn't awful, awful, I liked Stanx and the opening sketch. Leslie Jones's slavery thing was funny. Of course people on Twitter were crying about it, Jones is a writer for SNL and undoubtedly wrote it herself, I liked it.

It's brutally obvious that some folks have to go, I don't think Noel Walls is catching on, she's probably one of the ones. Sasheer Zamata isn't doing great either....

7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

2/3 of the way through, and I've laughed a fair bit. "Stanx" and "The Beygency" were pretty good. And Jebediah Atkinson during WU was great, as always. "Family Feud" was so-so. It never reaches the funny of the Bill Hader/Kristen Wiig "Secret Word" sketches. I didn't think "Oliver Twist" was great, but it wasn't awful. The cold open and the mono were pretty dull. Though nothing plumbs the depths of dull like Coldplay.

Quick poll - how many here had never heard the "FML" expression before? Is this really a common saying in the US? Is it regional? Only for those under 25? I'm 40, but had never heard that before.

8. I'm 43 and have heard it many times - well, seen it used in texts/social media messages, like "lol". I don't think I've heard anyone actually say it...but then not many adults would, I suppose.

Anyway: I made it through to the second Coldplay set, and the "Family Feud" sketch was the only one I thought was particularly good - although "Weekend Update" had its moments. By the end of the season Colin Jost just might loosen up enough to be "OK, I guess". :)

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Thanks. I don't text, facebook or twitter, so I've missed it. Well, you learn something new every day. Not someting useful, but something.

The required Spiderman sketch wasn't very funny. And while I like "Bird Bible", it seems prety bad that with a few weeks off before this episode they can't come up with enough material to fill the whole show and have to re-play a previous fake commercial. I wonder what the cast thinks of how things are. Vanessa, unless I missed it, didn't make a single appearance except at the beginning of the "The Beygency", which was a pre-taped bit. So did she even need to be there?

Colin has improved a bit, hasn't he?

10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I was unfamiliar with FML. And proud of it.

I liked Beyonce thing.

Family Feud I like Adele and Crowe impressions.

I liked Tony reviews on the news.

With such a giant cast why are the writers appearing on the news?

Seriously. Half the cast ride the pine each week. Why even have them around?

Oh, and another skit revolving around gross kissing. I though we'd seen the last of that after Armison and Forte left. I guess not.

11. Marry a Carrot

When they replay a segment at the end of the show like that, it almost always means the show ran long and they had to cut the final sketch.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

There are two cut sketches (one of Bennett and Moody's weird digital shorts and a live sketch featuring Kenan and Brooks Wheelan from the dress rehearsal) you can suffer through on Hulu.

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

This was a weak one. I liked the Beygancy, that was about it. And thank goodness I was able to fastforward through Coldplay.

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I try! :wave: :D

15. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

There were a couple of good shows but the most have been like last night ,not many laughs One needs to take the whole season and make a 30min best of

16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Is Coldplay just about the most perfectly boring band there is?

17. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Horrible, horrible, horrible episode, so far.

rburly likes this.
  18. OldSoul

I like the tourist sketch, otherwise....

19. OldSoul

And full closing credits are always nice.

20. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

John Milhiser has to hold the record for least appearances by any cast member who lasted an entire season. It's a shame because he's funny if you check out his stuff online.

zebop and OldSoul like this.
  21. I actually thought this was one of the best episodes of the season, and I fully recognise that that's a totally backhanded compliment. The only sketch I thought was straight-up lame was the "Bikini Beach Party" bit - that was just a weak concept with no writing to flesh it out, although seeing some of the female cast members in the retro beach gear made up for that a bit. ;) And oddly, this is an episode that saved the best bits for last - namely the creepily funny "Whiskers R Us" sketch (Theron seemed to be channeling a bit of her Aileen Wuornos performance here) and the "Tourists" filmed bit (loved the reaction of the guy who thought he was in Chicago).

Laughed several times, the Black Keys were solid if not great, and indeed by season's end Colin Jost just might be full-on OK. I'll give it a B-.

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Last night was crap from start to finish. Even Drunk Uncle let me down. Whoever is writing this stuff must have something wrong with their brain. Just awful.

23. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Was the opening scene supposed to be satire? Satire is supposed to have some bearing on reality. Nope ... not satire, just one of the writers going with some way-too-silly silly thoughts. Waste of time.

24. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

You know the writers were aiming for the fences when the game show sketch and the talk show sketch were placed so early in the episode.

25. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

It was as uneven as its been all season. I laughed out loud a few times, many of them in the news. Fully knowing the whale would blow at some point but not when made me laugh.

But where some bits are obviously worked on quite a bit and are amusing to watch (the animation) amusing is still not really funny. But it was not totally worthless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.