Saw Seabiscuit yesterday

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dave D, Jul 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Done! Thread Starter

Saw Seabicuit yesterday

Ok, let me start by saying I'm not like a lot of you guys. I can't just go watch any movie. I wouldn't watch Charlie's Angels if all three of them serviced me before the film! So I tend to be a bit picky.

I loved Seabiscuit! It's just an old fashioned feel good movie with no explosions, no witty banter or catchphrases, and no sex. Just a nice story with some great acting. Jeff Bridges and Chris Cooper are brilliant, and Toby Mcguire does a great job as well. The race scenes are breathtaking and very emotional. Randy Newman did the score....it adds to the emotion. There's a narrative that helps push the film along. The wife was in tears. Think we might go see it again.

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Re: Saw Seabicuit yesterday

I saw it last night with my daughters.
    There was a bit of sex, that scene in the whore house in Mexico made me a tad bit uneasy with my younger daughter. I haven't read the book (I will though) but I'm told that the movie sanitized things quite a bit. The racing world was much uglier back then than even now.

But otherwise I agree. It was a great movie. Took a bit of time to get going at first but it didn't drag too much. Beautiful score by Newman, very nice photography too. Mostly the acting carried it. Excellent casting. I LOVED William H. Macy as the obnoxious, drinking radio reporter. "Tick Toc" or something like that. :thumbsup:

And my kids loved it as well, I'm sure we'll see it again soon.

Dan C

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I saw Seabiscuit yesterday. You'll never see a more relentlessly earnest movie. I think the director lays it on a little thick. I'm surprised they didn't just put a halo over the horse's head. The film looks gorgeous and the racing scenes are amazing, something genuinely new on the big screen. Still, I just never got involved with the characters. And the conceit of crossing the movie with (essentially) a PBS documentary, complete with narration, was odd to say the least.

Chris Cooper was good, and William H. Macy nearly steals the movie, injecting some much-needed levity as the motor-mouthed radio announcer.

P.S. You can't even tell that Seabiscuit himself is played by two guys in a horse suit!;)

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

And to think a sequel is already in the works by Hollywood!
    I can't wait to see Seabiscuit: Escape From The Glue Factory:D

5. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Took the wife to see it. When your 55 years old this is Saturday night in the fast lane. :)

What part did you guys like best?

6. Dave D

You stole my line from the other thread!

:D

7. Dave D

Loved the match race!The way they went to the still pictures at the ring of the bell!

Sorry to be this way......but why can people watch a movie with 3 dopey broads doing impossibly stupid stunts and say they enjoy it, but then criticize a wonderful movie like this?
    :confused:

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Clearly this is referring to me personally. To answer the question, I call 'em as I see 'em--and I see a lot of 'em. I attend at least one current movie every week, and catch up with many more on video or cable. Everything from megabudget blockbusters to small foreign films. I just love watching movies. I judge each film on its own merits--that's how I can enjoy Charlie's Angels as silly but entertaining fluff while finding Seabiscuit artistic but uninvolving. As long as this is an open forum, I'll continue to share my criticisms, and encourage everybody else to do the same. Vive le difference!

9. Dave D

Sorry Jimbo, nothing personal meant......I just hate all the crappy movies hollywood is putting out, and I thought this was was well done.

10. RDK

RDK Active Member

Wasn't it cool how Seabiscuit single-handedly pulled the country out of the Great Depression?

:D

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Ray,
    That is a really narrow-minded view of it. It was not just Seabiscuit who pulled the country out of the Great Depression, or have you forgotten the contributions of his eccentric owner, washed-up trainer, and plucky jockey, not to mention Little Orphan Annie. ;)

Regards,

12. Dave D

well, I must be the biggest gaylord in the world cuz I loved it!

13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Aw, we're surrounded by curmudgeons! :D I liked it too. Yeah it wore it's heart on it's hoof but I don't care. I didn't mind having my heartstrings tugged by this movie. In fact I went back for more the next day. :thumbsup:

Dan C

14. Dave D

And I loved Pleasantville too!!!!!!!
    must be the woman in me!
    :love:

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Dave and Tobey, sittin' in a tree... :p

I'm a sucker for films like Seabiscuit, too, even if I do poke a little fun.

16. JohnG

Amazing that SpyKids 3-D beat all the new movies.

17. RDK

RDK Active Member

Surprising only because the word of mouth on SpyKids 3 was so bad that most of us adults wrote it off. But kids still seem to dig it (the first one was prety darn good) and it was playing on a whole lot of screens.

Seabiscuit did pretty well considering it was on fewer screens (the studio hopes it will have legs). The big "loser" of the weekend was easily Tomb Raider 2.

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Good, that "vial of blood girl" who loved to make out in public needs to be tapped down a notch. Heh.

19. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Good riddance to the Tomb Raider franchise.

I'm also very surprised that "Spy Kids 3D" did so well. Made almost $35 million on it's opening weekend. It was shot with digital video on the cheap so I bet it's pretty much gravy for them now.
    I loved the first Spy Kids so much that I can't bring myself to see this half-baked clunker no matter how much money it makes. Why ruin a happy memory?

Dan C

20. RDK

RDK Active Member

Agreed!

I could almost say the same thing about "TombRaider." Oh wait, no I can't. The first one sucked too.

And don't get me started on "American Wedding."

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Dave, if you liked "Seabiscuit" so much how come you didn't spell it right in your thread heading? :)

No search engine will ever find this thread. Can a Gort please fix it?

22. Dave D

Did I?? I suddenly feel like John in those Beatle bootlegs when he screws up on a song......"me? no it wasn't!"

Sorry....I posted at , like, 6:30 in the friggin morning!

seabiscuit
    seabiscuit
    seabiscuit
    seabiscuit.........

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

steve,

very well said.

i just don't see what everyone sees in angelina jolie.

not pretty, not even cute. and she has never ever impressed me on talk shows either.

renny

24. Dave D

hmmm......dunno.....I think I'd like to use her thighs as earmuffs!
    :laugh:

25. JohnG

[​IMG]

I think she is a very attractive girl but her personal baggage can be too much. She was great in "Gia".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.