Saw THE EAGLES! Review (long)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Jul 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Actually, when I saw them Frey said "You're payin so we're playin!"
    ;)
    Cheers
    Norm

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

Hey Norm. What's the story on Steuart Smith? He was really cranking out the guitar parts to those Eagles classics. I kept thinking to myself, "wouldn't it be cool to end up playing guitar with a supergroup"?

What is his background - he is certainly deserving. I know he played on Henley's "Inside Job". Did he have his own band down there?

3. teaser5

Steuart Smith

Like other DC area guitar legends Danny Gatton, Roy Buchanan and Nils Lofgren, Steuart Smith cut his chops playing in many local bands. These including Smalltalk and Downtown. He got a gig playing for Rosanne Cash and her then husband Rodney Crowell. Crowell put Steuart in his band Cicadas. They did one album and it's worth finding.

He then hooked up with Shawn Colvin. Colvins producer at the time was John Leventhal. In fact they each won a Grammy for Colvin's hit Sunny Came Home which was song of the year a few years back. Leventhal is now married to Rosanne Cash and plays in her band.

Anyway Steuart was part of Shawn's band and also in her trio that also included bassist Larry Klein who was married to Joni Mitchell. Keeping track? You can see them on the Lillith Fair video. They made a lot of music for a trio. I saw them many times.

Smith has been an Eagle for three years now. He also toured as part of Henley's band last year. He is a very tasteful player and all around nice guy.

Cheers!
    Norm

4. timw

timw Senior Member

Eagles Tour

Thx for the review of the Eagles concert. Very good setlist, however, I'm surprised the only NEW song they performed was "Hole in the World". I would think that they would want to start promoting their new album which I've read 'rumors' is due in Oct and could be a double CD!!!
    A DVD from this tour in 5.1 DTS surround would sure be awesome too!!!
    After seeing the brief Behind the scenes footage included with the HITW DVD single, it does look like they are going to go all out capturing this tour on video/film.

Tim

5. teaser5

Hey Tim:

Welcome to the Steve Hoffman forums!
    Keep on posting!
    Cheers-
    Norm

6. JonUrban

Thanks for the Steuart info, Norm. I knew you would know! ;)

7. teaser5

You're welcome Jon!

...and when do we start a Livingston Taylor thread?
    :thumbsup:
    Peace-
    Norm

8. JonUrban

Re: You're welcome Jon!

Thread crap alert: I just got his Mulitchannel SACD. I was going to post comments, but it happens to be my least favorite Liv album.........(INK)

9. timw

timw Senior Member

Thx for the welcome Norm. Some excellent topics on this forum. It's great to be aboard!:thumbsup:

Tim

10. teaser5

Don't worry...before long your boss will be screaming at you to "get off that *%@# website!!"

;)
    Cheers-
    Norm

11. rpd

rpd Senior Member

That's my beef with the Eagles show. They are the best ever American band IMO. However, they should stick to only Eagles tunes. There are so many cool tunes that they don't play beacuse they do the solo stuff. I need to pick the set list.....it would be awesome....

One exception, if they are going to play solo songs, they need to play Frey's "Part of me, Part of you"...great song and an "Eagles" song if I ever heard one.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.