Say what? Mama Cass vocal on "Crosby, Stills & Nash"??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by doubleaapn, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doubleaapn

doubleaapn Forum Resident Thread Starter

There was a fine episode on the life of Cass Elliot on "Biography" tonight and at one point David Crosby indicated that she sings something somewhere on the C,S&N debut album. He said that she was the only vocalist other than the three on the album, but that was about all he had to say on the topic - he was that vague, inviting the viewer to listen and try to pick it out for themselves. I've never heard of that rumor but if it's true, I can't possibly imagine where she appears on the album. Has anyone even heard of this claim before, or is it simply faulty memory (or deliberate deception) on Crosby's part?

Aaron

2. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

"Pre-Road Downs". Check it out....

3. doubleaapn

doubleaapn Forum Resident Thread Starter

Okay - just checked it out. It's most apparent in that "wha-oa-oa-oa" before the final chorus but I never would have picked that out (and certainly never would have identified the singer) without hearing about it first. That's pretty cool - thanks for the pointer.

Aaron

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

according to nash, if it wasn't for mama cass, CSN would never have been.

renny

5. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

I saw that. Great show, along with the Hendrix and the one about Janis Joplin.

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Any good books about Mama?

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Stills and Nash made guest appearances on Cass's 1968 solo album, and Nash contributed a song.

8. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Cass sings on the first Stephen Stills album too.

9. Gerry Galipault

Gerry Galipault New Member

10. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

The latest Crosby/Nash album on the Sanctuary label is actually dedicated to her. I've read some really interesting stories about how she was a lot of fun to be with. Apparently, one day she left Crosby sleeping in a restaurant with his head in a bowl of spaghetti - they had been up for 3 days on psychedelics.

Mama Cass was also responsible for introducing Nash to drugs...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.