Scanner?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RetroSmith, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

Has anybody ever heard of a home scanner that has a glass size 12 x 12?

I'm looking for one to scan Lp jackets. I'm wondering if this exists. It must, no?

Anybody ever seen one?

Mikey

2. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Epson makes one that is 12x17, my friend just bought one. Unfortunately, it was over $1600. Large platen scanners are expensive.

3. RetroSmith

yea, I know, I STILL cant figure out why 12 X 12 scanners are so expensive!! I mean whats the big deal?

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

probably because they are not mass produced. they most likely have to shut down and retool to produce them.

and they probably don't have nearly the parts ordering or carry a very large inventory of those parts.

just guessing.

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Big scanners are very expensive... especially High End brands, like Agfa, Microtek and others.

I bought an Epson Perfection 3200 a couple days ago... perfect pics with Silverfast'sa scanning software.

6. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Just so you know, we bought one for work off of eBay. It was being sold there by bigscanners.com (if I recall correctly) and it was like "essentially new, but refurbished" or something similar. Anyhoo, it works excellently, is fairly fast compaired to others I've used, and seems fairly quiet in operation, but noisy in the fan department. Maybe not more so than any others. But to the point, though, it was basically like getting a brand new one for $500. So you might look at that route.

7. RetroSmith

thanks Pic!! 500$ I could swing, I think.

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

No problem, Mikey. I actually looked on eBay myself and saw a couple of 836XL's, which is the model we bought. They weren't from the same seller. If you'd like, I can probably get that info some time next week and PM you if you're interested. Otherwise, the right one is likely to turn up on eBay some time.

9. RetroSmith

that would be great, Pic ...........thanks!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.