"Scary" movies you don't find remotely scary

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thievius, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist Thread Starter

Number 1 on my list is The Ring. For years people said it was one of the scariest movies evar!1!! While it had some cool scenes (dat horse) overall it seemed more like a mystery film than it did horror. Not a bad movie, just not particularly scary.

Second is The Blair Witch Project. Again, I liked it but...not scary.

2. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I don't find 99% of them scary. Some of them may give me an uneasy feeling but I am never scared.

The Ring was over-hyped in my opinion. I hate that film because it kick started a trend in horror movies that I call the single child/single adult film. The adult searches aimlessly to figure out why their child is acting creepy or fearing something will happen to them. They tend to get rather boring.

3. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

"The Blair Witch Project" - It didn't work for me on any level. :thumbsdow

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Interesting idea, but not really scary.

5. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

The Exorcist
    Scream
    The Omen

googlymoogly and rockclassics like this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

An American Werewolf In London. Beyond ridiculous.

7. I pretty well agree with everything stated above, most of them aren't scary. Some of the newer ones are disturbing, but not scary.

wayneklein likes this.
  8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Agree on The Exorcist and The Omen - the original version.

9. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

It Follows. Very disappointing after all the hype.

mark renard likes this.
  10. herky10

herky10 Forum Resident

The Shining

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  11. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

'horror' movies age poorly if ever

12. danner

danner Forum Resident

Well, isn't that one kind of a horror-comedy to begin with?

13. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Definitely a sleepless night - then - now?

wayneklein likes this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Frankenstein
    Dracula
    The Wolfman
    The Mummy

Cool, but not scary

15. Just about any of the horror movies where the victims are simply too thick to understand it was time to get the heck out of there a long time ago.
    Especially when they find Stacy and Johnny killed in a terrible manner but decide to get a flashlight and go looking around to see what happened.

16. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

It. Tim Curry as Pennywise was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a movie. Other than that, the movie was pretty lame.

17. SomeCallMeTim

SomeCallMeTim Forum Resident

I was rooting for the witch. Loudly. Most of the theater was with me on that.

Holy Diver likes this.
  18. mrbluedream

mrbluedream Well-Known Member

Eh, if scary movie have to use SOUND to scare you, that's not scary, just annoying.

Exorcism scared me as a child, but then I had an older cousin feeding me scary nonsense. As an adult it's a good movie but not scary.

I haven't been scared by any modern 'scary movie'.

19. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I was soooooooooooo disappointed with "The Blair Witch Project". I sat myself down in my basement with the lights off, surround sound blasting, just waiting for something to happen. 2 hours of my life I will never get back!!!! :evil:

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  20. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Reminded me of a "shaky-cam" version of MTV's The Real World. Boring and nauseating.

SomeCallMeTim and Larry Mc like this.
  21. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

The Conjuring

googlymoogly likes this.
  22. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I love old horror movies that have atmosphere or mood, even though - or because- they aren't scary. Once you hit a certain age, real life is scary enough.

Though I will say that the only movie that gave me nightmares seeing it as an adult is Eraserhead. When he is cutting in to that monster baby...

23. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Most horror films these days. While it's an old technique, it feels like almost every horror film I've seen in the last 10 or so years substitutes a loud tone on the soundtrack whenever anything remotely "scary" happens on screen, making me immune to the entire thing.

SomeCallMeTim and Ghostworld like this.
  24. One of the first horror movies I'd ever seen was also one of the least scary: Friday The 13th.

I'm rarely scared by horror movies, but there have been a couple that put me on the edge of my seat with excitement of wanting to know what happens next, one was "The Evil Dead" and the other was "The Exorcist" and I also thoroughly enjoyed the "Hellraiser" series, "Nightmare On Elm Street" 1 and 3, and, especially, the original "Psycho". I have not seen "The Omen" yet.

25. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

The more graphic the violence, the less scary I tend to find a movie. Many "horror" films go so overboard with the blood-n-guts that it gets ridiculous. Psychological thrillers like Psycho and The Shining are much scarier to me because so much is not shown, thereby increasing the suspense.

Macman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.