Scat Records to reissue Guided By Voices 'Bee Thousand' LP + more!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob C, Dec 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob C

Bob C Forum Resident Thread Starter

From the Scat Records site, not so new news about their vinyl reissue of GBV's 'Bee Thousand'.

November 8, 2014

So a bit over 20 years ago we put out this album called Bee Thousand by a band from Dayton, Ohio called Guided By Voices. It's been out of print on vinyl since the late 90s, but that situation is coming to an end very soon (exact date tba). This pressing is not limited.

[​IMG]

This time around it's a gatefold jacket. The nice kind, from Stoughton:

[​IMG]

On the left panel, "Hardcore UFOs - From the Postal Blowfish Sessions" - culled from Bob's archives. The illustrations that originally accompanied the lyrics are no longer of this world, so this seemed like an appropriate substitution. The original vinyl mastering was not particularly sympathetic (Trutone), so we've had John Golden re-cut. It sounds much better than the original pressings. Black vinyl only, for now anyway.

It also seemed like a good idea to reissue the kind-of companion LP, King **** and the Golden Boys, whose second side is filled with the best Bee Thousand outtakes, while side one mops up some earlier unreleased LPs. Previously only available as part of Box, this marks the album's first issue as a stand-alone piece. The original mastering was quite good, and archival to boot (cut in copper), so it has not been updated.

[​IMG]

And there will be other things to look forward to... Next year a CD version of the Directors Cut will replace the standard Bee Thousand CD, and maybe the long-delayed vinyl pressing of Bill Fox's Transit Byzantium will finally see release. Beyond that I will not make any predictions.

2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I thought we had another thread on the reissue but can't find it. Glad it'll be in print. I'm glad directors cut will be on cd but nothing tops the classic album and it shouldn't replace it altogether. It'd be a shame for anyone new to the album

levi likes this.
  3. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

Agreed. I wonder if it's going to be the "Abridged" version that came out with the Directors Cut? Probably don't need a second copy, but if it comes in a nice jewel case, will probably buy it...

4. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I'm very happy that they are putting this out as a non-limited release. I can't believe they've not had it in print for so long. Seems like easy money for Scat. I only ever had it on CD back in the day, and have never had the vinyl. Looking forward to picking it up.

5. serge

serge Forum Resident

me too..i need this... when is it out?

6. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I remember reading somewhere January 20th. But I cannot find info to back this up right now. The Scat website just says "soon".

7. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

A must buy for me.

8. serge

serge Forum Resident

hopefully it won't be 39.99 or something..

9. PostalBlowfish75

PostalBlowfish75 Senior Member

Really looking forward to this release, but where is the love for the Doug Gillard years?

10. serge

serge Forum Resident

I just don't hold them in the same regard other than Speak Kindly....

Honestly I prefer Boston Spaceships..or the Suitcase stuff that came before...

PostalBlowfish75 likes this.
  11. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Amazon.com says January 20th for both albums. Instant buy, folks!!

oddsbodkins and drivingfrog like this.
  12. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I know Bob is a tinkerer, but the Director's Cut of B1000 should in no way supersede the original. Serious George Lucas territory here.

Cracklebarrel and osbie feel like this.
  13. PostalBlowfish75

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I like the way Pollard took GBV in a different direction with Mag Earwhig. I consider that album as one of their best (behind B1000, AL and Propeller of course)

14. serge

serge Forum Resident

and I remember being so let down....

making it sound like it went in a new direction i think presents the issue in a loaded manner....

the bottom line is the songs werent there like before.. i still loathe i am a tree..

PostalBlowfish75 likes this.
  15. serge

serge Forum Resident

i do hope bob tours again.. i don't care who with...or even solo....

i spent a lot of this year listening to his music and am more convinced than ever that he is a genius....

16. PostalBlowfish75

I'm not too fond of I Am A Tree either, IIRC that was a DG written song... Possibly.
    I was most let down by Do The Collapse, but that still had some good tunes.
    Everyone has their favorites, there's a lot to like!

17. danner

danner Forum Resident

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  18. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

19. danner

danner Forum Resident

Guess I'll find out. I went ahead and preordered a copy.

20. Strummergas

I'm very tempted myself.

21. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I had never ordered from these guys (Midheaven Mailorder) before a couple of weeks ago, but their pre-order prices for the non-limited black edition aren't terrible. Bee Thousand for $17.50; King $hit for $16.

Bee Thousand

King $hit and the Golden Boys

xdawg and drivingfrog like this.
  22. danner

danner Forum Resident

Wow. The Newbury edition is already sold out. Even if it sucks, I guess I'll have a neat collectible. Man, their shipping prices are high though.

23. Strummergas

Damn! Why did I wait? :(

24. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I wonder if the standard version will offer a Flac download of the remaster? Probably mega-unlikely but I'm curious.

25. Strummergas

Only one of the recent GBV albums offered a lossless option on the download card (I forget which). All the others have been 320 kpbs mp3's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.