Schiit's First Phono Preamp - The $129 "Mani"

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by anede001, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJ Bollinger

JJ Bollinger Member

Can you recommend a good after market cable?

2. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

This Phono Preamp is on my list. I own the Schiit Modi 2 DAC and all I can say is that it is great value for the money. Highly recommended.

3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I own 3 pieces of Schiit equipment (Modi, Bifrost, Mani).

But, I'd like to ask those of you with Schiit Mani fever, especially those of you who have never heard it, do you not believe the results of the Fremer test? :)

4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

When I did my research, it just seemed there was a lot more info and feedback on the mani than the pluto. Yes, I saw Fremer's test, but it's one guy's test on his set up.

Vinyl Addict and bluemooze like this.
  5. JJ Bollinger

JJ Bollinger Member

I just wanted to let you all know I, more or less, eliminated my hum problem this afternoon after finding this video on YouTube last night:

Additionally, I ordered a BLC LC-1 stereo audio cable to run from my turntable to the Mani. If I like it, I'll order a second cable to run from the Mani to my receiver.

But to all who replied to my post and tried to help me out, thank you very much.

bluemooze and Matt Richardson like this.
  6. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

Wait, so what did you plug in to ground the preamp?

7. JJ Bollinger

JJ Bollinger Member

I connected a ground plug to one end of a wire and a spade connector to the other end of the same wire. I attached the spade connection to the ground post on the Mani, and plugged the other end in to the outlet. Like in the video. It worked.

Mogens likes this.
  8. davidavdavid

davidavdavid Forum Resident

While, I don't doubt the effiicacy of some of these solutions, I'd like to thnk that product be so designed as not to need them, especially if competitive product is so not afflicted. The Schiit Mani has evidenced a propensity for hum and RF interference connected to 4 turntables in my home and 3 separate systems using an assortment of different audiophile interconnects. This same hum and RF interference could NOT be replicated on all these same turntables and systems with my NAD PP3i phono stage connected.

This tell you something. I went out of my way to isolate the problem "Schiit Mani" and then went even farther to swap it in and out of the very same connections as the NAD PP3i.

The Schiit Mani can sound great, but not in the "quietest moments". With the Mani I was restricted to turning my volume dial to somewhere between 8 and 9 o'clock on the dial. With the PP3i, I could got to 12 o'clock with no problem, and that's pretty loud. With this testing I surmised that it was/is not the physical environment. There is something particular to the construction of the Mani which makes it susceptible and sensitive.

That there are a number of phono stages out there in the price range, makes it easier to look elsewhere, but even if there were not comparable products in the sub $150 price range, I would jump up 1 or 2 rungs on the ladder so as not to have to deal with the hum and noise.

bluemooze and Vinyl Addict like this.
  9. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I'm sorry you had that problem, and I agree that you shouldn't have to work around something like that.

My experience is 100% the opposite of yours, so I'm not sure if I am lucky or you are unlucky.

johnny q likes this.
  10. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I had the same experience as David. Went through 2 Manis before eventually going with a Lounge.

Wounded Land likes this.
  11. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Personally no problem with the Mani in my experience.

Maybe one rung higher but I have recently bought the hagerman bugle 2, $190 shipped straight from Jim Hagerman. Can recommend this one highly! No user adjustment but it can be tailored per your cart by switching resistors.

BeauZooka likes this.
  12. davidavdavid

It could very well be that the latest batch of Manis are afflicted and earlier ones not. All I can tell you is that luck should not have to enter the hifi analogue experience and that for there to such polar experiences with a unit, speaks to a possible lack of testing and inspection with respect to quality control.

Mind you, for what I encountered to ONLY manifest itself with Mani and not the NAD PP3i is curious. I shall receive my Parasound ZPhono tomorrow or Thursday and write up my experiences with that unit. I will add that I plugged all of my turntables into the Parasound Halo 2.1 Integrated's phono stage and could not replicate the hum and noise.

I'll take a look at Mr Snel's recommendation of Hagerman's Bugle 2.

Vinyl Addict and Wounded Land like this.
  13. Vinyl Addict

It's been an issue for well over a year. I went through the same problem in December 2015. Sounds like they still have the same problem.

14. guidedbyvoices

I bought one a few months ago and have had zero issues of hum or interference.

Wounded Land and Vinyl Addict like this.
  15. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

No issues with my Mani either. Mine was ordered and delivered the end of Feb/early March and has been flawless in my system. No hum no matter what settings I have selected.

16. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

My vintage preamp decided to take zee crap so I got a Mani. It is dead quiet. No hum or noises. Pretty good. Outstanding for the money. For those experiencing problems, I would look at cables and the ground.

johnny q and Wounded Land like this.
  17. Vinyl Addict

Yeah sorry, I wasn't trying to say it happens with all the units, but the issue has been documented on this site a few times. :cool: :cheers:

I'm sure it has to do with my location (etc) as well, but all I can say is, the problem went away when I picked up a Lounge. I even used a $20 generic phono that yielded no RF interference or hum while waiting for the Lounge to arrive. :shrug:

18. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I too recently added a Mani and have had zero issues with it. It's dead quiet with no buzzing or humming. It sounds great too. Very happy with it.

19. guidedbyvoices

I wonder what it is about certain set ups or areas that cause the issue. Very weird.

Jack Flannery and Vinyl Addict like this.
  20. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Freaking sunspots. Who knows.

21. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I've had a Mani for a little over two years and it's always had a hum/noise issue. I swapped it out for a Graham Slee Reflex M (loaner) and the Slee is dead quiet, all hum & noise gone. Nothing else has changed in my system.

22. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

A question for all of those who have experienced a hum issue, and forgive me if this was upthread and I just missed it: Did you ground your turntable to the preamp or not?

23. davidavdavid

Yes, I have grounded the turntables appropriately to the Mani. In all instances having done so and swapped my NAD PP3i as documented without any of the hum and RF interference. There may very well folks out there who have no problem whatsoever with their units. I just found it incredible that I could not replicate the issues with another phono stage with all of the very same equipment in the same physical spaces here.

The NAD PP3i may very well incorporate bypass filters and the Schiit Mani not and given my building physical proximity and line of sight to radio and television stations that might very well be the issue.

Am comforted that some others have shared in the Mani demonstrating hum and RF interference. Now, if this case with all units, there's no way Schiit would be selling as many as they are. Chalk it up to the design being more susceptible than others.

Note, as I shipped back my Mani to Schiit as a return, I proceeded to acquire a Parasound ZPhono phono stage and while almost double the price of a Mani, it is dead quiet, no hum, no noise, no RF interference.

I am glad that there are those of you who have had zero problems with audio gear, as this is how it should be :)

Wounded Land and Vinyl Addict like this.
  24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

This is probably the case. If Schiit ever does a Mani II they should address these issues. That or include a large variety pack of ferrite beads with the preamp.

25. Vinyl Addict

Yes, I tried every option I could think of.
    Grounded, not grounded, new interconnects, moved the Mani to a few different locations etc.
    My issues are in a Mani thread somewhere on this site.

Wounded Land likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.