"Schindler's List" a timeless movie, here is an original document from Schindler..

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I posted this on Facebook so I might as well post it here. People found it interesting.

I watched "Schindler's List" last night, I hadn't seen it since the 1990s. When I watched the movie again after many years it was even more devastating than usual for me because I have children of my own now. Really left me pulverized.

I came upon this letter and thought it would be interesting for you to see. Normally I wouldn't post a Nazi document but I find this letter fascinating. Those of you who have seen "Schindler's List" will appreciate this key letter in the history of the Holocaust. The letter, signed by German Industrialist Oskar Schindler in blue, dated Aug. 22, 1944, describes permission to move Emalia, his enamelware factory at 4 Lipowa Street, WORKERS INCLUDED, out of Krakow, Poland, to his home town of Brünnlitz in Czechoslovakia, a move that cost him his personal fortune in bribes but allowed him to save his 1,200 Schindlerjuden from being deported to Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp.

Schindler employed the workers under an arrangement with SS Commander Amon Goeth, who ran a work camp at nearby Plaszow. In the summer of 1944, Goeth’s secretary alerted Schindler that the Nazis would be closing all factories not directly related to the war effort. The Jews would be transported by train to a concentration camp. Schindler, through bribery and leveraging relationships, received permission from the head of the armaments command to focus on producing arms and move the factory.

The letter, translated from German, gives permission to send Adam Dziedzic, a factory employee receiving a contract “for unloading and assembling war-necessary machinery,” to Czechoslovakia under the order of the general military command in Krakow.

The famous list naming workers to relocate was developed that fall. We know if Schindler had not gotten such permission to move his factory, there would have been no Schindler’s list.

What made Schindler do this? He originally hired Jewish workers because they came cheaper than Polish workers. For him, that was just good business sense. But... What made him spend every dime he had to save "his Jews"? No one will ever really know. Steven Spielberg doesn't know, the Schindlerjuden didn't know.

schindler letter.jpg Oscar Schindler is the only member of the Nazi Party to be buried in Israel. In fact, it was his wish. His grave is in the Catholic Franciscans' cemetery, Mount Zion, Jerusalem. On his grave is written: Righteous Among the Nations (Hebrew: חֲסִידִי אֻמּוֹת הָעוֹלָם‎, khasidi umót ha'olám).

Below pic: In 1946, Oskar Schindler (second from the right) poses with a group of Jews he rescued. Among those pictured are: Manci Rosner, Edmund Horowitz, Ludmila Pfefferberg-Page, Halinka Horowitz, and Olek Rosner. If you've seen "Schindler's List" you know those names well, all featured in the book and the movie..

schindler 1946.jpg

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I wish we knew more about Schindler's motivations, but he did what he did and that's the real story I guess. I watched the film in the theater on first release. I still remember the sound of folks weeping all around me. Haven't seen it since--maybe I don't have the required fortitude, but at least on Netflix I could pause it and take a breather.

head_unit likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Don't watch it on Netflix, they really screwed it up, they forgot to add the printed paragraphs of explanation before some of the key scenes. A really bad error. When Mr. Spielberg finds out about it he will be truly peed off.

4. pdenny

Interesting. It's a recent add; why/how does this kind of thing happen?

5. Steve Hoffman

Well, the lab struck a print from the neg that had no writing on it. The subtitles should have been reimposed in a mastering stage but either no one was aware of them or they just didn't care.

6. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Here is an an account and interview with Itzak Stern, Schindlers accountant, conducted by jounalist Herbert Steinhouse about Oskar Schindler. Schindler carried out his rescues without any thought of reward and was indeed found by his Jewish survivors living in poverty in Germany after the war.
    I had tears in my eyes after reading this account most of which is not featured in the movie as it is quite extensive.

The Real Oskar Schindler

7. pdenny

Thanks for that. I think his conclusion about Schindler's motivations are still valid today:

Jack White likes this.
  8. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

I should really sit down and watch it. I bought the blu ray a few months ago which came with the movie on blu ray, dvd, and digital. Just never got around to watching it

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I seem to recall that when they showed this movie on TV, the network decided to show it with essentially no commercials. If I am remembering correctly, there was 1 commercial break in the middle of the movie, and that was all. Helped enormously to maintain the tension and drama. They don't do that very often.

MonkeyLizard and tmtomh like this.
  10. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Thanks for that link.

11. Steve Hoffman

I appreciate the link. Dispels any doubts that Schindler only decided at the last minute to save his slave labor workers because Germany was losing the war and he just wanted to save his skin, without being arrested and executed. A fascinating man. A true hero. חֲסִידִי אֻמּוֹת הָעוֹלָם‎

EVOLVIST likes this.
  12. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

What an amazing story.

13. I almost got a chance to meet one of Schindler's workers. I regret that I missed her. ✡

14. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Question: I read that in Israel, the citizens there actually laughed at "Yerushalayim Shel Zah hav" so they used a different song at the end.
    Does anyone know if that different song at the end exists on Blu Ray?
    Here is the info:
    Jerusalem of Gold - Wikipedia
    I think Eli Eli is the song used in the Israeli version

15. Steve Hoffman

I want to see the 40 minutes he cut out of the movie for time. How long do we have to wait? Probably forever.

16. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Not necesarily a sequel, but I'd love to see Spielberg do a movie on the creation of Israel.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  17. Yeah, it might be a while since the BD isn't that old. In the meantime you can watch Shoah, the 9 1/2 Holocaust documentary, with 3 additional feature films that didn't make it to the doco. But I don't know. You might have already seen it. Not to be missed.

18. Steve Hoffman

Saw SHOAH in the theatre, two days. An experience. But once was enough..

19. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

This would be a great job for Criterion. They will do it right & go the extra mile for us.

20. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

I first saw the film the night it premiered on NBC, as I was running Master Control that night for WBGH-TV . There were just two commercial breaks in the broadcast. One for local stations right before the film began and one network break mid-way through it. The film just blew me away.

21. Steve Hoffman

I remember NBC showed it completely uncut, no words bleeped, nothing smeared on the screen. First and only time that's happened with a film like that.

I watched some of it just to see if it would happen. It did. Spielberg said "Uncut or no airing."

the pope ondine and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  22. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

Steve, I will bow to your memories of the situation. I was so into watching the film that my own memory might well be inaccurate.

23. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I remember. They also did not cut out the nudity - though they gave lots of warnings.

24. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

I remember reading in one of the Making Of books on the movie that one of the scenes Spielberg deleted from the movie was the one described in that account of the station wagons of frozen prisoners that had been left abandoned near Schindler's Factory and how those who survived were nursed back to health.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  25. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I you want to see what Schindler saved these Jews from experiencing, go over and check out DVDBeaver's Review of German Concentration Camps Factual Survey (now available on blu-ray): German Concentration Camps Factual Survey Blu-ray

Plenty of B&W photos of horrific scenes. Schindler had something that seems rare today: courage . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.