SciFi or Horror movies that choked you up. Warning! Possible spoilers!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SonOfAlerik, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

In the cases of both Spock and Kirk, their death scenes were absolutely awesome moments in the Star Trek story needlessly destroyed by bringing them back again. I LOVED the scene in Generations when you see the ruptured hull of the Enterprise, now contained by a force field, and know that Kirk has been flung to his death in the vacuum of space, nevertheless having saved his beloved Starship from destruction. That should have been where the movie ended. His actual death later on in the movie is pathetic. His unseen "demise" earlier in the movie befitted his stature: You shouldn't get to see James T. Kirk die. It is treason to imagine the death of the King.

And I never liked the fact that they brought Spock back from the dead. His sacrifice was perfect. It was the perfect capstone to STII.

Hawklord likes this.
  2. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can't believe I forgot this one. The opening scene of Guardians of the Galaxy. That theater was silent.

Also the death of Jonathan Kent in Superman: the Movie.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Actually when he died the fist time I saw it I was choked up too but as I've gotten older I can't wait for him to die!

4. Well you could argue that it wasn't the same Spock. In the case of Kirk, it would be kind of pointless to have him die early on and not bring him back because it was ki d of important to the plot but it could have been handled the second time so much better. The first time, though, remember he didn't die whence was sucked Into the Nexus.

5. dkmonroe

Eh, it was the same Spock. I'm sure there some convoluted fan theories out there but I can't be bothered.

In the case of Kirk, I'm just saying that his "death" involving directly saving the Enterprise would have been better at the end of the movie. It was a powerful scene to me and I didn't really like the rest of the plotline at all. I'd have been happier with an entirely different sort of movie.

Gumboo and Hawklord like this.
  6. SonOfAlerik

I know this is off topic. But since you could leave the Xexus and return to any time why wouldn't they have returned to Enterprised D when Zorn first came on board and just arest him? Why go to the time that was minutes before the rocket launch?

7. SonOfAlerik

You would probably enjoy that Robot Chicken short with a "not too right" ET on his home planet being bullied.

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

that scene cut a little too close to home for me :cry:

9. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

If the first 10 minutes of Up don't bring tears to your eyes, you have no soul.

Now, I know it's not as written in the book, but Boromir's death scene with Aragorn in The Fellowship of the Ring never fails to move me. It was fitting he should die as a hero.

xdawg likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not exactly a sci-fi or horror film, but I agree: I was in tears by the end of that segment. Hell, they could've ended the movie right there and I might have been OK with it.

xdawg and Deuce66 like this.
  11. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

True, though I'm willing to classify it as Science Fiction because the dog talks because of a device. As much as I love Pixar's films, Up is the only one I've ever seen once.

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

that first 10 minutes was an amazing piece of movie making, too bad the rest of the movie didn't hit the same level

RexKramer likes this.
  13. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Kirk certainly went all-out, then... complete with a shaky, quivering "rage-face" that Khan couldn't even see anyway! :p

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The dog-talking gimmick was the stupidest thing in the whole movie. I can buy the house flying with the balloons... but not talking dogs.

15. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Right, it is indeed far-fetched (you should pardon the pun..) which puts it into sci-fi or fantasy, and not a very good example of either genre. It's one of those things where if you examine the plot too closely, the whole thing falls apart.

I just thought of another heart-wrenching scene in a horror film: The part in Jaws where the mother of the boy who was killed by the shark confronts Chief Brody always leaves me with a lump in my throat.

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That actress has said for the next 40 years, people would recognize her, walk up to her, and beg her to slap them in the face, just like the scene in the movie!

Also not exactly horror or sci-fi. But I felt a lump in my throat at the end of Toy Story 3. Godamighty, that's a sad movie.

SonOfAlerik, dkmonroe and Scott222C like this.
  17. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

If you can accept Peggy Sue Got Married as sci-fi (adult Kathleen Turner is magically transported back to her high school years) I would nominate that. The very last scene in the film, in the hospital room when the family is all reunited makes me cry every time I watch it, I've even TRIED to force myself not to...no luck, still guts me every time.

18. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

The combination of Roy Neary (Richard Dreyfus) boarding the mothership at the end of Close Encounters of the Third Kind with the musical background of "When You Wish Upon a Star" always gets to me.......

19. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Nothing tops the "tears in the rain" speech from Blade Runner.

Though it would probably seem really hokey now to me, but as I watched "Enemy Mine" in the cinema as a teenager I had tears welling up in my eyes .....

Not being SciFi or horror related, but Steve McQueen in "The Sand Pebbles" - Jesus, what a scene ! Now there is a truly underrated movie !

[​IMG]

20. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Speilberg went for the heartstrings in the child abandonment scene in A.I. .

Mark

21. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Chewy had nothing to complain about. He and Han made a special trip right after that to the wookie planet for Life Day. And we all know how much that sucked.

22. dkmonroe

I have two young children and I can foresee a time where I simply will not be able to watch the end of that movie. At least it's not a grieving, negative kind of sad, but still.

Vidiot likes this.
  23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I get all chocked-up when the hideous 'Alien/Ripley' hybrid in "Alien Resurrection" is getting sucked-out into space. It's got a look on it's face that says, "Why? I love you, Why are you killing me?"

turnersmemo and Maggie like this.
  24. skybluestoday

skybluestoday Forum Resident

Parts of John Carpenter's Starman, manipulative and hokey as it is, I find bewilderingly moving. Karen Allen crying at the home movies of her deceased husband, Jeff Bridges resurrecting the dead deer, much of the last half-hour or so.

25. SonOfAlerik

That reminds me. When I went to see Alien 3 I left the theater crying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.