Scott Walker 2000 remasters - how do they compare to 1990 issues?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul K, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member Thread Starter

Are they no-noised?
    Do we like Chop-em-out's work to date. What does Simon Heyworth tend to favour when he masters?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Chop-Em-Out studios in England? The KINGS of no-noise!

3. Paul K

Oh Christ Steve. NO!!

Oh well, I guess that settles THAT discussion. I always thought that there was something wrong with the new versions. Are you familiar with Walker's work?

Call it existential easy-listening if you will - super echoed orchestra stuff - lotsa Peter Knight things. Great lyrics.

How are you with Fontana? First name basis? This is neato stuff!! It would be a gas to have you work on any of the first four records!! (or five for that matter!)

4. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I have Scott3 SACD and I hear mucho hiss...

5. Pepzhez

Pepzhez New Member

I have the 1990 cds of the first 4 Scott Walker albums and these have always sounded pretty good to me. I have not heard the more recent versions (I believe they are HDCD encoded) but, as caution dictates nowadays (sigh), I fear the prospect of such wonderfully recorded and spacious orchestral arrangements such as these being no-noised and squashed within an inch of their lives.

Thus far, the only person I've encountered who has heard both cd versions of these albums (at a headphone forum, I think it was) raved about the new versions, telling me they were so much "better" - and sounded so much "louder". Uh-oh! Red flag alert!

Does anyone around here know?

6. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I have the HDCD re-issue of Scott3 and it sounds fine, and the hiss is all there intact. Can't find any remastering credits on it. Never heard the original CD.

7. Paul K

Beagle,
    is this an SACD hybrid? Is this an import? What other albums have been committed to SACD from Walker?

8. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

HDCD, not SACD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.