Scratchy voiced female singers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rocknsoul74, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

"Abraham, Martin And John" - Moms Mabley

Hit #35 on the Billboard Hot 100 on 19 July 1969.
    At 75 years old, Moms Mabley became the oldest living person
    ever to have a US Top 40 hit.

2. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

When a person lacked any hint of vibrato in their singing voice, we used to say "you can't sing to save your life - please stop". I think we need to say that more often.

3. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Tracey Nelson.

4. Fill Your Head

Fill Your Head Forum Resident

You watch reality talent shows?
    "Britney Spears yay or nay"?
    I thought this was a respectable music forum.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

joni mitchell as she has gotten older and smoked more cigarettes.

MikaelaArsenault and audiotom like this.
  6. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Agreed on all points...

7. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes let's name all the male vocalists who copied Eddie Vedder in the 90s. They all sang like Elvis with marbles in their mouths.

8. rocknsoul74

Exactly. It drives me nuts how every amateur on those talent shows all sing that way.

9. rocknsoul74

10. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Very sad to hear our angel's lilting voice turned to rasp

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Those type of covers can be so annoying. I find them rather pretentious.

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The Kat Edmonson and Nataly Dawn are spot on examples of what you are talking about right?

Yeah, sometimes it works but mostly you just want to jab pencils into your ears.

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

14. StereoMan56

StereoMan56 Forum Resident

I like raspy voiced female singers, but not everyone needs to sound like that.

15. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

The OP used "scratchy" in his description of this singing style, but I don't think it fits. I don't hear it in the singers we've mentioned here.

eddiel likes this.
  16. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I know exactly what you're talking about: it's a breathy quality along with a tendency to be slightly flat. A lack of energy and dynamics is also a spot on description. Those examples on the message board were perfect.

It seems that it's either this "indie" style or the Mariah/Whitney 2.0 that have become more prominent on the radio or on talent shows.

eddiel likes this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i don't know if rasp is the right word, smokey would better describe it, if you know what i mean.

18. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

Bonnie Tyler is a prime example of a "scratchy" sounding singer IMO. Love her voice, though! It's a Heartache, Total Eclipse, etc.

squittolo likes this.
  19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

What if that's just their natural singing voice? I don't think there's much that Kim Carnes or Bonnie Tyler could do about their voices. I don't think Adele really approaches that level of "scratchiness". The most successful scratchy voice - Rod Stewart, but close behind would be Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins of TLC, the best selling female group of all time. Remember "Waterfalls"?

JohnnyQuest and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  20. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Kim Carnes & Bonnie Tyler

21. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

How about Sarah Cracknell? Red Kites is a stellar new autumnal, melancholy LP. She might be more "breathy" than scratchy voiced though.

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Remember when Phoebe on Friends caught a cold and liked her new scratchy voice?

23. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

It seems female singers can't get anywhere by being truly original and different. You're either an affected indie girl or a former Disney or Nickelodeon girl who now sings sexed up R&B or one of the offspring of Amy Winehouse (Adele included).

24. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

As far as scratchy-raspy-voiced singers go, I'm even-handed: I dislike that vocal quality equally in males and females. John Fogerty, Bob Seeger, Michael Bolton, you name 'em. I always get the feeling that its an affectation that is destroying the singer's throat, and even if it's natural and not destructive, I'm not entertained by grinding/screeching/growling/wheezing vocals. Janis and Tom Waites are the only exceptions for me.

A dishonorable mention goes to the constipated groaner school of singing, made most famous by Kenny Rodgers.

Regarding the hoards of sheep out there trying to imitate the same singing style, including the melisma (aka urban yodeling) that's been in vogue for some time now, I'd point out that such imitation is nothing new in popular music; in the 30's and 40's most singers, including Frank Sinatra, one of the most distinctive singers ever, started out like most of his peers, imitating Bing Crosby. In the 50's there were the Elvis imitators; then the Beatles or Dylan imitators, and on and on...

Ok, I think I've sufficiently offended a whole bunch a people for now.

25. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

The original poster really did a disservice to this thread by using the term "scratchy" in the title. This really has nothing whatsoever to do with "scratchy" vocals. We're talking about something very different here. Or we ~were~ talking about something different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.