"Scrubs" - 8th Season, now on ABC.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I actually saw a few commercials for it, and I rarely watch network TV. Also some media notices. As previously discussed, ABC has some extra incentive to want to see this succeed.

Owing to NBC's scheduling vagaries I missed a lot of new episodes too, but have 'em all on DVD; it's weird to watch Scrubs with commercials and being unable to rewind or pause.

2. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

A reminder that two new episodes air tonight at 9:00 Eastern.

3. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I liked both episodes last night, especially the second one. Usually, Scrubs utilizes their guest stars very well, but I wasn't overly impressed with how they wrote Courteney Cox in her three episodes.

I liked JD and Elliot in the second episode, though I have no preference as to where their relationship ends up in the finale.

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Yeah, I thought they were two really good episodes. Glad Courtney Cox's character is gone. She was a total shrew that didn't bring anything to the show.

Glad to see the janitor back in a more significant role. His scenes were great!

5. Just so long as they don't contrive any stupid ways to break them up in order to generate plot lines. I hate those kinds of idiot plot mechanics.

Anyway, I thought they were both good as well, but preferred the second one - it pulled off the humour/drama balance the show does well.

6. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Back-to-back new episodes starting in about half an hour...

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Hope the new series will get shown in the UK, the Wife and I love it :thumbsup:

8. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Two more new ones tonight. Not sure why they're burning these off so quickly. I've read that Scrubs is moving to Wednesdays in March, up against Idol. No big deal, as it looks like they'll only have a few new episodes left by that point, anyway.

9. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

New episode tonight. That's right...only one ep, not two. New time, too--8:00 PM Eastern.

10. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

FYI, last week's pre-empted episode airs tomorrow at 8/7C, and the one-hour series (hopefully!) finale is at 8/7C on Wednesday.

I say "hopefully" because there's talk of a ninth season with Zach Braff in a greatly-reduced number of episodes. I'm guessing that other cast members will also leave, and I'm not wild about the intern crew that would presumably get even more screen time. I'd rather see ABC give the 30 minutes to the promising new comedy Better Off Ted. And I say that as a big Scrubs fan. It's time for it to retire. The DVDs will always be there.

11. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Guess I'm the only fan left here of one of THE great sitcoms. Anyhoo, the series finale (at least with the entire original cast) airs in about half an hour.

12. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

In the past year or so, I've become a great fan of SCRUBS! It's just a really funny and emotionally-rewarding show, IMHO. Anyway, I'm a little sad that tonight's episode will be the last one ever. But like someone said earlier, the show will live on on dvd and in reruns.:)

I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts about Scrubs ... as it prepares to go off the air.

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

My regrets that I can't visit this thread for the next few weeks, because we're so darn backed-up on DVR-watching (I've yet to see the Galactica or ER finales yet!), but...

...just for the record, I couldn't give a tinker's damn what the Janitor's last name is.

Unless it's Cosmo...-no wait, didn't give a crap about that one either...!

14. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Have always been a big fan of the show, & am grateful that ABC gave it a chance. But I think they've pretty much "done it all" by now, the characters have become a bit stagnant to me. Haven't watched the last epi yet (DVR'd)

They always mixed a little pathos with the silliness which I found endearing.
    Will miss it I guess... :(

15. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

Abso-frickin-lutely!!! I've been nursing a theory that these new characters were intended to be so annoying that when SCRUBS went off the air, everyone would be glad to see it go. I didn't watch too many episodes this season, but I agree with the above, with the added exclamation that Eliot Reid's character was BEYOND annoying this season. For that reason alone, I hope this is the last season. But they've dangled that carrot in front of us before, so I guess anything's possible.

16. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I can't stand that Denise character (the bitchy blonde), and I think she'd be a centerpiece of a revamped show. Below are Bill Lawrence's thoughts about a ninth season, but first I want to say how much I enjoyed last night's finale (be it "season" or "series"). Loved the hallway scene at the end where many notable former patients, cast members (Dr. Wen, Keith), and JD love interests (Tasty Coma Wife!) gathered together.

For those who missed it, here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNKv...-hq.com/indexold.php/&feature=player_embedded

BL on S9:

http://forums.abc.go.com/scrubsramblings

SCRUBS SEASON 9 AND WHY NEXT WEEK IS STILL A SERIES FINALE TO ME

Hello again, hello (that's a Neil Diamond quote that means a lot to me). President Obama doesn't seem to realize how important the last two episodes of SCRUBS are to a small handful of important people. ABC is nicely putting our penultimate episode on Tuesday before the hour long finale Wednesday. I think fans will be really happy with the last episode - I'm really proud of it.

It looks like we might get to do another season of SCRUBS, but next week still marks the end as we know it. I say this because when the news broke that SCRUBS might be back I read a lot of nice things, but also was treated to a lot of "It'll suck!", "Oh, no!", "Let it die!", "You'll ruin it's legacy!", type stuff. I even went on Joel Keller's TV SQUAD blog and went after him a bit (all in fun, I like Joel). See, here are my issues/problems with those responses:

How does anyone know it'll suck? Look, I love television and am very aware of shows that have gone on too long. In many ways, I felt SCRUBS was ready to end last year but the writer's strike and NBC screwed that up. I've always said that if the show moves forward, it would have to be new - like Frasier was to Cheers (which, by the way, I still would've watched if it was called "AFTERCHEERS", or "Cheers; the pompous guy from the bar"). I would never just pick up next year with different characters/actors and move forward as if nothing happened. Nor, as many have suggested, would next year be a show called "The Interns", in which all the new characters we introduced are the stars (though I really liked Eliza Coupe a lot).

The legacy issue: who gives a crap. Legacy-schmegacy, it's a tv show and nothing can happen that will make me not proud of it.

But Neil, Johnny C., and Donald all have new jobs... no they don't. They shot PILOTS, and I hope for their sake some of them get on TV but the odds are always against PILOTS. Everyone else (including Zach) is around.

I guess what really bugs me the most is the pre-judgement I've been hearing/reading. Look, I never have issue with people saying my show sucks, as in, "I watched it, and it sucked so much it made me angry and sad at the same time." No one has seen next year yet, or even knows what it's about or who is in it. Guess what - it may end up sucking. I've made some sucky episodes before, hell, I've made some sucky pilots, but I'll say this (as I did on Joel's blog): If I had to bet on my production team (and me) or a different group of writer/actors doing a brand new show - I'm betting on us. Because I'm cocky, and also because we aren't betting actual money - this is just a hypothetical.

The things I promise: If SCRUBS comes back it will not be the same show, thus cheapening the finale. It will not be a lame imitation of the original. We will work our butts off (Yes, I will work on it, too - I'm too much of a control freak to totally let it go) to make it new and interesting and surprising and different and redundant synonym. Don't get me wrong, it may still suck. But if it does, it will not be a fizzle-suck. It will suck in a truly grand, disasterous way. Just give it a chance, AND THEN be outraged and hate it. Thanks,

Bill
    April 29, 2009

17. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

I really miss this show. I watched the entire run from the 1st episode and love it!
    There is a pretty sweet box set out there.

18. So did anybody catch the end of "Cougar Town" last night? Almost all the principle "Scrubs" actors appeared. Sam Lloyd (Ted) was in the episode with his a capella band, as was Sarah Chalke. In the last scene he meets Christa Miller and says something like "hey, I know you from the last series and you were mean to me!" Then Chalke chimes in, then Ken Jenkins and Zack Braff make a cameo. Pretty funny stuff.

19. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Crap, that was last night? I read about it last week, but since I don't watch Cougar Town, I completely forgot to tune in.

20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

C'mon over to the house, I've got it on DVR...gotta bring yer avatar with ya though...!

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Zucchero - Diamante

21. shane

shane Active Member

I kept waiting for Dr. Cox but he never came.

22. Q-Authority

Q-Authority Forum Resident

Yeah, that was great to see. I was watching it with my deaf brother in-law, and was just explaining to him how two of the characters were from Scrubs, and then all of a sudden Ted starts talking about his previous job, and of course the tie-in grows and grows, lol. Was a great ending. I always wanted them to add more to Ted's tie-in and now Ive got it. Love quirky stuff like that.

23. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Yes, it was great to see some old/familiar faces appear on Cougar Town!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.