"Se7en" deleted scene? Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by babyblue, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

The scene seems familiar to me, too.

I saw the film twice in the theater, and several times on dvd. I know for a fact that I have never seen the film on VHS. I doubt that I have ever seen it on cable, because I hate to watch anything on HBO that I own on dvd.

I will have to pay attention the next time I see the film. It would have to be as a flashback during the finale. I wonder if it is possible the shot could have been in a preview before Se7en was released?

2. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

SPOILERS AHEAD!

I really think this is true. Fincher's comments on the DVD really make that clear - that he specifically did not include that other Paltrow shot that, as I said, 'telegraphed' too much. And that shot was merely of her closing drapes in her apartment! I simply can't believe a shot of Paltrow opening the door to Doe could have made it into any release - it just seems so pedestrian for Fincher.

But, if I'm wrong, I'll cut off my own head and mail it to Mr. Babyblue in box.

;)

3. rauer

rauer Forum Resident

How about if the scene was in a trailer but not in the final film? That seems to happen every now and then.

EDIT: I have seen the film in a theatre over here and have the 2-disc R1 DVD set and can't recall seeing the scene

4. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

SPOILER CITY AHEAD!

I can't believe they'd suggest Tracey's death in a trailer. The big 'reveal' of Paltrow's demise at the conclusion was apparently one of the big selling points of 'Se7en', akin to Janet Leigh taking her last shower in 'Psycho' (i.e. known star biting the bullet).

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

It just sounds too "Made For TV movie of the week".

6. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal! Thread Starter

The scene really didn't telegraph anything since it was placed AFTER Pitt realized what was in the box. At least that's what I remember. It's interesting other people remember the scene too, but no one has an actual copy.

If a copy is found, I'd better be wary of strange packages!
    :eek:

Steve

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

IIRC, there was a brief shot like that in the trailer, but never in the actual released film. The other one that seemed to have people in a tizzy was "Hannibal" in which people swore up and down that they saw some more graphic shots in the climactic "feast" scene that were never there.

Regards,

8. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

This thread reminds me of how "Play It Again, Sam" survived as a quotable movie line.....yet it was never uttered.

That having been said....I have a TV version of Seven somewhere and will check it at some point.

Dan

9. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Not sure if it is this scene but it is where they first arrive at the island and they are taking the car from the helicopter landing site to the complex. The car stops and Ellie is sitting in the car looking at this leaf she picked up from somewhere when Sam Neill makes her turn her head. Approx. 20 minutes in.

10. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Replying to my own post: Checked the trailer. There is the scene where Ellie picks up the leaf while their in motion but that isn't used in the movie itself. You only see the later scene that I described above.

11. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

TNT ran Se7en recently and it is a pointless exercise. if you're going to cut that much out of a movie, why even bother airing it.

later, chris

12. Well the film was pretty graphic as it was. When Anthony Hopkins as the title character popped open Ray Liota's head to fry scoops of his brain and feed it to him--ick!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.