"See it Big! The 70mm Show" The New York Museum of the Moving Image

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mdm08033, Jul 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm definitely making the trip for this and the "Arcade Classics: Video Games from the Collection" exhibition.

Museum of the Moving Image - Programs - See it Big! The 70mm Show »

I'm not sure what the audio is like. Has anyone ever seen a movie here?

July 29–September 4

"The release of Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight in 70mm, in more than 160 theaters around the country last December was a remarkable revival of the big-screen format. To show the film as Tarantino intended, many theaters were retro-fitted with vintage 70mm film projectors, behemoth machines that have become obsolete in the digital age. Museum of the Moving Image is committed to preserving the theatrical presentation of 70mm films in their original format, and the all-70mm version of See it Big! has now become an annual tradition. Opening with 2001: A Space Odyssey, the Stanley Kubrick classic that partly inspired the architectural design of the Museum’s Sumner M. Redstone Theater, the series includes a selection of classic and recent examples of such visually spectacular genres as the western, musical, and the science fiction film."

Films included
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Khartoum
    Spartacus
    The Wild Bunch
    The Hateful 8
    Star
    Let's Spend The Night Together
    Hamlet

longdist01 and Vidiot like this.
  2. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Wow. Bought my ticket for The Wild Bunch.

I'd love to see Days of Heaven in 70mm again, but they probably showed that already in a previous year.

mdm08033 likes this.
  3. mdm08033

That's great. In 1995 I saw The Wild Bunch in 70mm at the Sony Lincoln Center. in70mm.com has a scan of the newspaper advertisement. I hope you enjoy the show.

http://www.in70mm.com/library/blow_up/year/1995/images/wild_bunch.jpg

4. mdm08033

I'm on board. I bought a discount "Film Lovers" membership at Groupon and I'm taking my children on Sunday July 31. We're also going to the Queens Museum for the Ramones exhibit, Hey! Ho! Let’s Go Ramones and the Birth of Punk.

Cheers, Michael

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Aw, I wish I could get to NYC for a few of these. But I think Wild Bunch and Let's Spend the Night Together are 35mm blow-ups, not "real" 70mm in that sense. They should've added Lawrence of Arabia and My Fair Lady.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Bring it on! Let's get some of these Hipsters also to jump onto these showings on Big screen, again!

Sure wish I was closer to this showing, but at least we get an event in the Windy city every few years.

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Pinknik likes this.
  8. mdm08033

No whining Mr. I have the Arc Light Cinerama Dome in my neighborhood. I'm still driving two hours each way.:D

Vidiot likes this.
  9. mdm08033

Well 2001 was sold out, but the kids loved the Ramones at the Queens Museum and the everything at the Museum Of The Moving Image. I drove to NYC with Matthew on Saturday for Spartacus. Not good. here is the email I sent to the museum.

"Greeting from overcast Philadelphia.

Thank you for offering discount film lover memberships through Groupon. I knew it would be a wonderful way to introduce my children to classic films on the big screen. When we arrived at the theater a week ago, I was disappointed to discover that 2001 was sold out. I underestimated the demand and didn’t purchase tickets in advance. My children enjoyed the exhibits and video games so much that we immediately made plans to drive up the following weekend for Spartacus.

The Saturday afternoon drive from south Jersey was easy. Parking, tickets for the show and pizza went according to plan. The movie did not. We lost count of how many times the projector stopped or sound faded in and out. After one interruption the lights were left on. The most distracting issue was a focus problem just left of center for the entire show. I have no problem with the price of the tickets. I understand that these are special screenings, but the endless projection problems leave me baffled. Should I request a refund on my membership? Can you assure me that Hamlet won’t suffer from the same issues?"

10. mdm08033

Greetings from Philadlephia. The 2017 "See It Big" schedule arrived today.

I just received and email from MoMI about the 2017 See It Big series.

July 19–August 27

Dunkirk July 19 Only!
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Lawrence Of Arabia (New 70mm Print)
    Patton
    Interstellar
    Pink Floyd: The Wall (70mm Blow-up)
    Dark Crystal (70mm Blow-up)
    The Story Of The Flaming Years
    The Enchanted Desna

Christopher Nolan is one of the few contemporary filmmakers dedicated to keeping alive the glorious format of 70mm film. With its bright, vividly detailed images and its rich sound, a 70mm film print offers a great theatrical experience. The Museum is pleased to kick off its annual See It Big! 70mm series with a special preview screening of Nolan’s eagerly anticipated new movie, Dunkirk, in 70mm. The series also includes the Museum’s all-time most popular film, Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey, a brand new 70mm print of Lawrence of Arabia, and a variety of cinematic treats including Nolan’s astonishing and provocative Interstellar (which offers a timely reflection on climate change), Patton, The Dark Crystal, Pink Floyd: The Wall, and two exciting rarities, the Soviet films The Story of the Flaming Years and The Enchanted Desna, directed by Yulia Solntseva, an unsung heroine of Soviet cinema who was also the first woman to win Best Director at Cannes (for The Story of the Flaming Years)

budwhite and Vidiot like this.
  11. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Just be advised that The Wall and Dark Crystal have probably faded to magenta by now.

12. mdm08033

Personally, I wouldn't consider driver two hours for a blow-up print. I just wanted to share some information.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

budwhite and longdist01 like this.
  14. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I saw The Wall in Seattle last year and yes, it is pretty dismal, not much color left at all other than magenta.

mdm08033 likes this.
  15. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Question; isn't going from 15 perf IMAX film to 5 perf 65MM going down a generation and vice versa?

16. mdm08033

I'm blessed with a choice between 70mm and IMAX 15 perf 70mm for Dunkirk in the Philadelphia area.

I bought tickets for the latter at the Regal where I saw 70mm screening of Hateful 8.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes. I don't think it'll be huge -- what I don't know is whether they have a way of contact printing this or not.

mBen989 likes this.
  18. mdm08033

So if you were paying for a ticket, which one would you see? IMAX 15/70mm, 70mm or Dolby Cinema?

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think I'd go for 70mm non-Imax. The square Imax format bugs me. For a film this epic, I think widescreen is appropriate.

budwhite likes this.
  20. mdm08033

I took the kids to see 2001: A Space Odyssey. The print is yesterday had plenty of scratched but the sound was fine. The 3:00 p.m. Sunday show was full but not a sellout. Natasha hated it while Matthew said he wanted to think about it more. A film buff friend said I should have taken them to Lawrence instead because it has more story and action but I can't make it next weekend.

If you're in the New York area, the Groupon Film Lover's membership is the way to fly.

Cheers, Michael

budwhite likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.