Seemingly random album tracks that bands play regularly live.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ajsmith, Feb 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm talking about album tracks by bands that aren't considered hits, deep cuts or particular fan favourites, but that the band themselves, through their own preference make staples of their live set,

One of the quintessential examples of this would be The Rolling Stones 'Out Of Control', a track from their 1997 album that has out lived every other track from that album, as well as all the tracks from the album after that in their set list. Dozens of better known Stones tracks are never played live, but if you go and see them, you are almost guaranteed to hear this one!

Arguably, (though it's more of a 'classic' track), Paul McCartney's 'Let Me Roll It' fits into this category: merely an album track upon release, it's as regular in his set as 'Hey Jude' or 'Band on the Run'. Other album tracks come and go from his set, but this one remains solid.

Others?

2. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member Thread Starter

Bump!

3. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

"Out of Control" was the first track that came into my mind when I saw the thread title. The only explanation for its setlist resilience is probably that Mick Jagger likes it.

As for "Let me roll it" It's a riff based rocker, simple, direct and thus very suitable in a live setting. In addition, it's heavier than the typical McCartney song.

There are many songs fans would like to hear in concert that are not so live-friendly -- anything from Uncle Albert, Back Seat of my Car, You Won't See Me, etc.

I think "Band on the run" or "Jet" although being obviously better known are also very live-friendly, so to speak, and not easy to replace either.

4. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

"Los Endos" (Genesis) could also be an example.

It was played very often between 1976 and 1980 and has been resurrected many times in subsequent tours.

Definitely not a hit.

5. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I was thinking about the Genesis song "Domino" when I read the thread title.

6. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

During their 2008 reunion shows full of hits and seldom-played classics, the Verve played "Velvet Morning" at every show. Most people would call that one of the less interesting tracks on Urban Hymns, but there it was. Apparently Simon Jones (the bassist) likes it.

7. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I like the song a lot, but "Sister Disco" was never a hit for The Who, and the album recording is kind of a kitchen sink production. But somehow, and for some reason, they turned it into more of a live powerhouse number and kept it in the set for 3-4 tours straight.

broccolid likes this.
  8. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Right. I think Genesis played it on every tour (86, 92, 98 and 2007) since it was released back in 1986

9. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Silvio by Bob Dylan

Tim

10. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

When Sugar was around a big portion of their set was covers that were released as B-Sides. Mr. Bungle (and to a lesser extent Faith No More) also play a lot of covers live.

11. brother1002

brother1002 I'm hungry....

Bullet The Blue Sky by U2. It's played in nearly every U2 concert. It's a good song and usually a great performance, but it was merely an album track from 1987's THE JOSHUA TREE and I think a b-side of the 4th single from the album.

ARK likes this.
  12. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Status Quo - "The Oriental" & "Creepin' Up On You". While both songs were welcome at the time of the album's release because "Heavy Traffic" signalled the band had returned to form, many fans are really upset that these are almost the only tracks from the more recent albums that have survived in the set - lots of great tunes from the next three albums were never even played live and those two seem to be fixed there.

ajsmith likes this.
  13. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"Since I've Been Loving You" - After Zep recorded it, it never left the live set. And Page/Plant did it every night as well.

14. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Well, Springsteen playing that gawdawful `Waitin' On A Sunny Day' every night on tour.
    Although, he has spared us so far this tour....

Fletch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.