Seinfeld... When did you start watching? What is your favorite season?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleBruceMayer, May 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Please post your poll response and your opinion on the early/mid/later seasons. I'm curious to see if when you started watching correlates to which seasons you like.

905 likes this.
  2. BeatleBruceMayer

I started in season 2 and loved it right away. I don't think seasons 8-9 are anywhere close to the quality of the Larry David years.

As a comparison, I recently watched The Office for the first time this year. I binged the series last summer and again this winter. I loved it the whole way through. Did the quality slip in the last two seasons? Yes, but I still loved it. I know there are many fans who watched when it originally aired who don't like the two seasons without Steve Carell.

OldSoul and Instant Dharma like this.
  3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I picked the third season, as that’s when I started watching.

My favorite, however, is the fourth season, followed closely by the fifth.

4. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I started watching when it was in reruns and I don't know them by seasons . Definitely the earlier years best , don't think 7-9 are good overall.
    I don't like how they made Elaine much harsher and some of the humor wasn't funny (like the fire w/ Newman in truck and Susan dying, some of George's schemes)

hi_watt and BeatleBruceMayer like this.
  5. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I started to watch after I'd heard about the Master Of Your Domain episode. Watched that and most episodes after that but not many before.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  6. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

A late friend of mine had written a story called "The Steinfeld Chronicles", and I was already a Jerry fan, so I was looking forward to, and saw, The Seinfeld Chronicles when first broadcast, and every subsequent episode.

Hoochiemama!

Steve Litos, hi_watt and OldSoul like this.
  7. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

I grew up watching Seinfeld with my parents. No way of remembering what season. It seems like its always been part of my life.

Picking just one favorite season hard, but the peak years for me are 3-6. I’m gonna go with season 5 because it probably has the most of my favorite episodes.

8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It wasn't on my radar until '95, when I started tuning in each week. Hard to say which season is my favorite. They all had their charms.

9. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Not only did I start watching in Season 1, but I watched the Pilot the night that it premiered in 1989. I was a huge fan of Jerry Seinfeld and was eagerly anticipating his new show. It did not disappoint.

hi_watt, Dan C, OldSoul and 2 others like this.
  10. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

The Robbery in Season 1. As an avid Letterman fan, I knew who Jerry was and watched due to that fact.

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I can't remember when I started watching. It was probably season 3, but perhaps even season 2. I missed a lot of the seasons when I moved to England. It was barely on terrestrial TV at the time. I would catch the odd episodes on BBC2 I think it was. You needed a satellite TV subscription to see the show properly. Eventually this girl I worked with was kind enough to tape them on VHS for me.

Not sure what season is my favourite though. I'll have to think about that one a bit more.

hi_watt likes this.
  12. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Watched it from the start. Kind of rough at the beginning as it needed a season or two to really get going.

Billy Infinity and hi_watt like this.
  13. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I would drop in the house and play chess with my father.My brother,sister would come by and w@tch Seinfeld with my mother.I would listen in and out,laughter would break out often.Later on I started watching.

hi_watt likes this.
  14. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Started watching during Season 5. My high school band was playing at one of our basketball team's road games in Universal City, where we saw Jerry in his convertible. Other band kids inside our bus recognized Jerry and were yelling at him. Jerry smiled and acknowledged us. He might have waved. Hadn't watched the show prior to that incident, but made me curious to watch.

hi_watt likes this.
  15. BeatleBruceMayer

That is almost identical to what I said in another thread.

GMfan87' likes this.
  16. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

We were an NBC Thursday night family. So we watched it from the start, when I got to college it was a show we all crammed in someone’s dorm room to watch. definitely hit its stride in season 3, season 4 and 5 are the golden years. The Pen is my favorite episode, maybe not the one most people think of, but for me rewatching the DVDs that was like an exact copy of my experiences staying at my grandparents house.

17. BeatleBruceMayer

The Pen is a great episode, but the show wasn't on Thursday nights until the middle of Season 4.

18. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

From the start. I even recorded the first season on VHS and watched it several times. I already was a big Seinfeld (Letterman) and Richards and David (Fridays) fan, and I was familiar with Dreyfus from SNL. I new it would be great. Therefore, I figured it would be canceled after a season or two.

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The first episode shown in Australia was the one where Jerry got a certificate to get a free massage from his dentist. No one had any idea what was going on.

hi_watt and TimeWarper like this.
  20. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

season 1 was summer Thursday nights. I mean, Thurs wasnt the only night we turned on the tv. But that's where we got hooked into it. I remember watching Cheers on Thursday nights as a kid back when Coach was still on.

21. Monosterio

“I think it moved!” :D

OldSoul and Mylene like this.
  22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It started on the Nine Network here but it was too confusing to their target audience to Network 10 picked it up and it found it's audience.

23. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

I was in the studio audience of The Tonight Show on January 15, 1991, when Jerry Seinfeld was a guest, promoting his new show. I thought it looked pretty good, so I started watching it right away. Corbin Bernsen was also a guest, so I've always wondered if that appearance inspired the later Seinfeld episode where Jerry and Corbin are on the show.

Right now 14 out of 26 people claim to have started watching the show during the first season, which only includes the first five episodes that aired in 1989-90. I have a real hard time believing that, since in reality hardly anyone watched the show until it started airing on Thursdays during the fourth season.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  24. Monosterio

The more I think about it, it’s possible I saw some season 1 and 2 episodes when they first aired, but just couldn’t get into the show. It was when I saw season 3 episodes like “The Library,” “The Tape” and “The Boyfriend” that I got hooked.

Still not crazy about the first two seasons, btw.

hi_watt and Instant Dharma like this.
  25. BeatleBruceMayer

The show wasn't high in the rankings, but the show had 19 million viewers in that first season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.