Sennheiser 800 versus the forthcoming 800S

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MonkeyMan, Jan 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly? Thread Starter

Which amplifier are you planning to use?

2. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I have the Rega Ear. I am a ridiculous Rega fanboy...

3. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I'm a Rega fan too. But the Ear... is not their finest moment. Do not judge the HD800S based on how they sound with it.

4. MonkeyMan

I think the day will come when I play around with tube headphone amplifiers at some point, but for now the Sennheiser amplifier sounds terrific to me.

5. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I kinda thought that was coming...and it's probably not incorrect. What's a better fit that does not break the budget...that was just broken by the cans!!!

6. MonkeyMan

I can attest to the greatness of the HDVA-600, which is now discontinued. Maybe you can find one on the used market?

7. MonkeyMan

Now under the Sennheiser microscope: Planet Drum. I have the fancy gold Ryko limited edition.

8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Now is the time to say sorry about the wallet. ;)
    Amps that do well with the HD800 tend to be expensive.

If you're able to do DIY electronics assembly you can save some money by getting a kit amp. The TORPEDO III hybrid tube amp is really nice with the HD800. It's available as a kit from Beezar for about $550. It's also available fully assembled (when available) for about $950. It's a good amp with the HD800 and other Senns. I heard it back in January at a meet in Atlanta (Beezar is local to Atlanta). Very nice fit sonically with the HD800.

9. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

10. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

If you don't have anyone who will give you a discount, I can put you in touch with a great dealer that does not have to sell for list price, the least I can do for a fellow Music City resident.

11. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I mostly use my 800S' with my AK 380 and amp however I've tried them with my Fosgate Signature and thought it sounded very good. At the recent headphone show I heard them with the Sennheiser HDVD 800 amp and thought it sounded excellent.

I also highly recommend the Nordost Heimdall 2 cable which moves them up a notch

12. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Check out the used amps at headfi.org. Always bargains there. Violectric V200 is a nice match for HD800's.

13. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I was up late and doing some surfing and came across a mint HDVD600 for 900 and grabbed it.

MonkeyMan likes this.
  14. Litejazz53

That is a "very good" deal, congratulations, you will certainly enjoy it!!!

15. MonkeyMan

It's an awesome amplifier!

16. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I was impressed when I heard it at Canjam Atlanta 2 weeks ago. partnered with the 800S' it was one of the best sounds at the show

17. MonkeyMan

I've been surprised that the amplifier doesn't even get warm, whilst I play it loud and long.

18. Litejazz53

That's because those Germans have their act together on these two products. I just don't think, for the money, you will ever, ever beat the HDVD 600 and the 800S as a pair, it's just a great combo, especially when people like Tommy Tunes is getting the amp for $900, how sweet is that deal. :righton:

19. Ham Sandwich

Those Germans need to learn how to get their Schiit together and learn how to make an amp that runs hot. ;)

The Schiit amps run hot. They try to be in class-A as much as possible even though the amps are class-AB. Heck, even my Gungnir multibit DAC is noticeably warm. My Cavalli hybrid amp is class-AB and gets warm just sitting idle. I'm giving it 5 inches of clearance above in the equipment rack to allow for reasonable ventilation and cooling. Even at that the underside of the shelf above the amp gets warm.

20. Ham Sandwich

Are you getting enough bass and punch with the HD800S and Sennheiser amp combo? When you were looking for the HD800 I was a little concerned that the bass may not be quite enough for the type of music you listen to, combined with your previous listening being mostly speakers.

21. MonkeyMan

I'm going to wait until my new Oppo 105D is in place before I make any serious judgment. I'm just using a crappy $35 DVD player at the moment. I should have the Oppo on Sunday.

22. rpd

rpd Senior Member

If anyone knows of a nice deal on a HDVA600 amp, I'd like to grab one...

I'm all ears....

23. rpd

rpd Senior Member

You for sure need tubes. Send me your HDVA600...

MonkeyMan likes this.
  24. Ham Sandwich

25. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Ham Sandwich likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.