Seriously considering walking away from vinyl

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris Desjardin, Oct 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The needledrop and the damage done.
    Never been a subscriber to that concept.

action pact, Rupe33 and The Pinhead like this.
  2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i think you should sell them all while the price is somewhat inflated.....sooner, rather than alter the bottom is going to drop out of this vinyl fad that is beginning to slowly wane and records will be worth 10¢ again.

3. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The mere fact that the OP states he actually can sell records to help pay for his daughter's college is quite noteworthy. I am not seeing any threads with people that sell their CDs to help pay for college. Just sayin'.

I think the OP ought to be given credit for doing something obviously upsetting in order to defray college expenses. The rest of his post is just trying to make the best of a tough situation and should be viewed in that context

timztunz, Manimal, LarryP and 3 others like this.
  4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Good for you. Got rid of most of my LP collection five years ago. Kept the deck and about thirty albums. Never regretted it once. Vinyl was never a hassle to me, but happy to have moved on from it by the same token. Good on you. And you're right; plenty other ways out there to enjoy music. And many of them are as good or better.

5. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Debatable, however given the O.P.s situation irrelevant.

6. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

If the only commercially available digital version is poorly mastered, than a needledrop can easily best a "professional transfer".

BuddhaBob, LarryP and jh901 like this.
  7. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I quote the OP: "I don't even know why I am writing this - it's not like I am looking for answers"

8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

THIS ! And stripping your vinyl collection to the bare essentials (bet you got thousands of records, and even selling all of them won't get you closer to total your daughter's tuition)

And get rig of your current TT. Regas are famous for their unreliability and lack of QC; cue the ¨I've got a Rega and it's flawless¨responses, there's too many reported cases across the boards.

Any used japanese TT will wipe the floor with it; sorry to be so crude about it.

timind and LarryP like this.
  9. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

Don't give up ! Think of it like owning a classic British sports car. Doesn't have to be a daily driver but ohhhhh on that summer day with the top down driving through the Colorado mountains in that Austin Healy or triumph TR3 can't be duplicated in that BMW.

Glen Leat likes this.
  10. Pastafarian

Fair enough, all I'd say no regrets here, it's not the end of the world/musical enjoyment. Having said that at the time I did it I was living away from a lot of my friends, now I'd have access to some super rare 45s some of which will probably never see the light of day on CD. As I've still got my CDR, I'm considering trying to get a loan of a great deck to preserve those 45s for posterity.

11. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Wait a minute... This thread isn't even about playing records! It's about trying to record them, which seems to me a different complaint altogether. The thread title implies vinyl is too much trouble, while the OP never mentions actually playing and listening to one.

dkmonroe and troggy like this.
  12. Pastafarian

I've no idea what he's got but I made £1000 in the first month and £6000 in total and I've still got around 400 albums. I used GEMM and just stopped because I got bored and didn't need the cash.
    EDIT: it was £8000 in total and no super expensive, just obscure and O.P.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2016
    The Pinhead likes this.
  13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Me! I have no use for CDs or Records anymore. Why have them lying around when someone else can enjoy them.

People make it sound like Taboo, making copies of stuff. Never heard anyone complaining about it when we made Cassette copies from our Records, or taped TV shows to VHS.,.... :magoo:

SandAndGlass and The Pinhead like this.
  14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

German, too.

Gramps Tom and The Pinhead like this.
  15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Of course ! I'd take any restored Dual over any Rega. They're terrific TTs.

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Cue New Yorker cartoon in 3...2....1...

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It didn't take me long to figure out there was no way my needle dropping records with moderately priced equipment was going to somehow sound better than a major record company engineer digitizing with state of the art equipment working from a master tape. I've heard some sound samples people post here and still will say I'm correct. I don't know what they're hearing. But it's a fun passtime, sort of. I don't find digitizing half as much fun as making mix tapes was.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  18. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I strongly encourage any and all people who are considering "walking away from" vinyl to do so.

You made your case, your points are valid. Just do it.

Please do it.

19. Pastafarian

Attempted to find out what you're in to but you appear shy, so I've no idea what you're into and if I could change your mind, as you're totally wrong.

20. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

It sounds like the OP is considering walking away from vinyl as he is in the process of selling off his vinyl. o_O

Of course, we could have the endlessly fun debate about the ethics of selling off one's physical copies of recordings, but keeping digital copies of them for personal use. That discussion always ends well. :hide:

dkmonroe and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Remember transferring my vinyl to cassettes, when I was selling my second collection in the eighties,thinking I have tracks on cassette form that should suffice, but didn't because I hated looking at the cassettes after and never playing the TDK c60's/90's. Fine for mixtapes(at best).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    CCrider92 likes this.
  22. Pastafarian

Well, it ends:rant:

23. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

In principle I subscribe to the idea that a needle drop isn't going to best a good digital master. But they key word there is "good", as there are so many awful digital masters out there that any halfway decent needle drop could probably better them.

When I want an album, I track down the best digital master I can find. However, even the best digital masters of certain albums may pale in comparison to a decent vinyl issue.

And sometimes even when there are good digital masters, I still prefer the right needle drop. I have a drop of The Joshua Tree, an album that certainly has solid digital releases. I've heard many of these digital versions and despite their technical superiority, I still prefer the needle drop because for whatever reason it engages me more emotionally. I can hear the deficiencies compared to the digital masters but I don't care because the music has a hold on me that no other version I've heard can match.

I will admit that this is a rare case and usually a good digital master will best a needle drop. But it's not totally black and white either.

24. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

If I buy a Blu Ray/DVD or CD that comes with a digital code for a free download and decide to sell off my Disc's is that unethical? The key word is personal use. If I were to make copies of this digital download and sell them, then that is definitely unethical and Illegal.

25. Pastafarian

I think you've wandered into the wrong thread, please lets not go there:tsk:

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.