Setlist of Stevie Wonder opening for the Stones in '72? Why did he open for them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParloFax, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParloFax

ParloFax Senior Member Thread Starter

I imagine because he wanted to expand his audience somehow, but that's just a guess... I mean he was already such a big star by then (1972)... Or was it the STONES who wanted to expand theirs by taking him along?

So did Stevie feature several of his great new songs from "Talking Book"?

2. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

I was only in the 10th grade at the time of the 72 tour and didnt make it. The closest they played to me was Charlotte NC--I think the date was July 6, 1972. Anyway I also recall it was after this show Stevie was involved a bad car crash. Im not sure how many shows he missed due to this incident--anybody know?

3. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Who wouldn't open for the Rolling Stones in 1972 if they were asked? No matter how established Stevie Wonder was, he was not as popular as the Rolling Stones. That's a win for any band.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, the Stones have been able to get openers who never would've opened for anyone else. Stevie probably thought it was a good way to get himself in front of a crowd who otherwise wouldn't listen to his music.

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

The paycheck probably didn't hurt, either.

Matt

6. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I know he missed a show in Dallas . . . I have a boot where Jagger apologizes for Wonder not showing, speculating that he must have "overslept."

7. Bill

Bill Senior Member

1972 saw Stevie enter a new phase of his career, moving from his role as just another member of the Motown assembly line with hit singles and albums featuring the hits and filler, to LPs that conveyed concepts through quality tracks, front to back. That year, he recorded two albums with his own money and renegotiated a new contract with Motown giving him, for that label, unprecedented artistic control.
    In this context, fresh off the release of Music Of My Mind (with Talking Book, featuring Superstition, ready to go), opening for the Stones offered him a unique platform to broaden his appeal.
    (It worked!)

tkl7 likes this.
  8. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Saw them in Albuquerque, NM. in June of 1972. The acoustics were terrible, but Stevie was using the echo to harmonize with himself!

9. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

here's his set from early in the tour at winterland in s.f. on june 6 1972. at many but not all of the shows, stevie joined in on the stones' encore doing uptight > satisfaction with them. it was pretty interesting seeing jagger and stevie arm in arm jumping around the stage. i attended two shows on the tour. even though stevie was a star already he could easily expand his audience by doing a tour like this.

For Once In My Life
    If You Really Love Me
    Me & Mrs. Jones
    Superwoman
    Unknown ?
    I Think I'm On The Right Track
    I Was Made To Love Her
    Feel It
    Killing Me Softly
    You Are The Sunshine Of My Life
    Very Well
    Blowing In The Wind
    Mercy Mercy
    Unknown ?
    Signed Sealed & Delivered
    Superstitious

Attached Files:

10. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

No matter how big you are there is always a bigger fish. Cases in point - I saw both Soundgarden and Pearl Jam open for Neil Young even though both bands were riding a wave bigger than Neil's at the time. They were great but Neil smoked 'em both. Ditto The Pixies opening for U2 on the Zoo TV Tour. Stevie was big but the Stones are bigger...

11. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

They played Houston and Ft. Worth, but not Dallas on that tour, IIRC.

Fullbug likes this.
  12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Holy cow. $6.50 for Stevie and The Stones...that's highway robbery.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

How is that a "ditto"? U2 was one of the world's three biggest bands in 1992 and the Pixies were pretty much unknown beyond "indie" circles. The Pixies got a little more popular love when they reunited, but they were never a commercial success in the 1980s/90s...

14. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

15. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Ahh yes, I think the boot is called Ft. Worth Express or something like that.

16. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Stevie was trying to cross-over from the Motown (which at the time was considered merely "pop" music) to the "serious" realm of the FM/Rolling Stone magazine Rock world. This tour really helped expand his audience to hipsters/progressive listeners who generally found most R&B , and especially Motown with its Copa/Ed Sullivan aspirations, to be somehat "corny" at that time

17. Larry Seinfeld

Larry Seinfeld Forum Resident

Little Stevie just wanted to watch Mick Taylor play every nite.

18. Finnbow

Finnbow Forum Resident

I saw Stevie and the Stones at RFK stadium in DC on this tour. I remember being a little surprised by Stevie opening, but my foggy memory tells me I enjoyed it - I think.

19. hangwire13

hangwire13 Forum Resident

20. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

FM-based rock and soul weren't always so far apart as they are today. Though I don't think Stevie was in particular need for expanding his horizons genre-wise, as he had been performing everything from jazz to commercial pop to stage standards, he was exploring rock more directly in 1972, most obviously with "Superstition" (originally written for Jeff Beck) but also the whole Talking Book LP, which seemed an early step (after Hot Buttered Soul and What's Going On) in the direction of album-oriented soul.

21. They shouldn't have let him drive.

22. ubik333

ubik333 Active Member

I went to the Charlotte show in the old Coliseum. Both sets were outstanding.
    Remember Stevie's ending with this whap-whap-whap-whap fire engine sound from the keyboard as he and the band left the stage. It was a very special evening.

Fullbug and entropyfan like this.
  23. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

The one tune I remember at Long Beach was Stevie singing My Cherie Amour though some wacky synthsized vocal effect. Crossover? Yeah I had tix for a couple years later but he cancelled. Another thing I remember was SW had a long strap down his back so the girl could grab him if he danced too close to the stage edge. There was no encore w/The Stones at our show, though.

$6.50? Yeah there was some squawk about prices. We'd camped for 2 days but they saved/reserved/sold most of the first 6 rows to VIPS so we had 8th row for $8.50. A night with Stevie Wonder and the Rolling Stones for the cost of a couple burgers. Those were the daze!

24. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

I also attended a show at MSG NY. Every seat, front row to last row was $6.50. I stashed a 3M 5" reel to reel recorder under my jacket. Great show, great tour. Must have listened to "Love in Vain" a thousand times just for Mick Taylor's solo. Stevie Wonder's set led me into an 8 year obsession with his 70's output.

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No, it depends on what kind of music you liked more, R&B or rock. With some audiences, Stevie Wonder was more popular than the Rolling Stones.

By the time of "Talking Book", Stevie commanded the same status as the Stones with the rock audiences. Wonder got the same airplay on rock stations as the Stones.

Suncola likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.