Share a record/CD-buying sob story

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bataclan2002, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zombeels

Zombeels Forum Resident

My condolences. :(

InStepWithTheStars and ebro like this.
  2. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

$200 for the two track WYWH CD is a bargain considering what they sell for on Ebay in the rare chance one comes up for sale.

xdawg likes this.
  3. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

There was a shop in town that I used go into. The guy there was a good lad. He'd often produce a box of stuff that hadn't hit the shelves yet for me to look through. We'd shoot the breeze and he'd give me a few quid off anything I wanted to buy.
    Once I found a mint first Master Of Puppets and a mint Wire Pink Flag but I had no money on me.
    As usual, he knew I was good for it so he stuck 'em by for me until my next appearance. Anyway, some time elapsed and I hadn't been in for maybe two weeks. I get paid, I go in, walk down the street about to go in and on the door I see.... 'Ceased Trading'. WTF?!?! Now that's aggravating.

In fairness the 'loss' of my two elpees is inconsequential to someone's livelihood.

Another time in a different store the guy behind the counter excitedly calls me over to show me some stuff he just got. I'm not 100% sure if it was these but my recollection is;
    - Arnold Layne 7" die cut sleeve
    - Dark Side Of The Moon normal prism label with all the inserts.
    - Let It Bleed with the poster.
    - HMS Donovan on Dawn label
    He tells me that some old dear came in and was selling them on her son's instructions, he was abroad and didn't want them no more. The guy took them to look through, pulled these four out and hid them and then said, "No, nothing really here I'd want apart from," and he gives her a few quid for some Beatles and Bowie albums he had stuck on the top. The old dear seemed happy enough and shuffled off.
    The guy told me - furtively glancing around - that he was keeping them for himself and if he recorded the money out of the till given to her then the boss would want to see what he bought for that amount. If he did that then the boss would charge big money for them.
    He didn't want this happening.

So he basically stole them.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  4. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

Hi ya'll,

Early 90's I bought a used Johnny Guitar Watson Lp with a naked chick straddling a Fender Stratocaster on the cover. I play guitar............. got it home listened to it, not. one. note. of. guitar. on. it. The entire album was Johnny playing the piano. I was a bit disappointed, lol.

5. The Carrot Guy

The Carrot Guy Forum Resident

This one's no big deal as it's just a case but it was today so it's fresh in the memory...

I bought Muddy Waters Gold (2 CDs) this morning. Got home and managed to break a lug off the cover opening it up. Then (somehow) managed to crack a corner of the tray lifting it up to get at the second disc.

I'll find another two disc case to pop it in so no big deal but quite unbelievable how clumsy I am.

6. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

But it all depends on whether or not there's a buyer. I had one sitting in the classifieds here for at least two months, priced at about $160 I think, with seemingly no interest whatsoever. Eventually someone took it for $135 after numerous price drops. I felt like I couldn't get rid of the damn thing.

I suppose that's kind of a sob story in and of itself - some of you have spent years looking for this CD for the Ultimate Audiophile Experience!™, and the guy who finds a copy in a dinky little record shop (in the most culturally dead town in history, no less) thinks it sounds like dull crap and tries to get rid of it within a week! :laugh:

xdawg and Mbe like this.
  7. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Did you end up buying a copy?

xdawg likes this.
  8. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I'll bet a lot of us saw "Vegas" and had exactly the same thought.

Muddy and xdawg like this.
  9. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Found a copy of the UK Spring LP on Neon with the cool tri-fold cover in a $1 bin. %$#&^%$! Sesame Street record inside!

10. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I got a scratch free Target CD for Hotel California. It was only a little dirty. I damaged the colour background on several places while cleaning it.

And another one: I found a dirty first pressing CD of Elton John’s debut album. After cleaning with some water it looks Near Mint. Only a small spot remains at the text side of the disc. I tried to remove it with some white spirit. It’s gone now, including the text around it.

Dave S, bataclan2002 and Mbe like this.
  11. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now. Thread Starter

I didn’t know Dekadance was that rare. Have it on cassette but recently passed on a vinyl for $1.88 because it didn’t look that clean.

12. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I recognise that caught in the moment feeling. It happens to me too when finding old CDs. I hold in I to the light and check everything. Still, often when I look again at it at home, it looks worse than it looked in the store. :crazy:

13. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

"How You Remind Me" that must have hurt like heck...

14. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

15. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now. Thread Starter

Could have been worse. At least they didn’t make you listen to it!

Muddy and Lord Philcore like this.
  16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

This post would be even better if IRS was on UYI and not Chinese Democracy :D

17. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Yes. My local shop had one back in the summer of '16, I think. They knew it was rare but I don't think they knew how rare it was. I can't remember exactly what I paid, it was somewhere around $60. As it turned out, I liked the sound of the 2011 remaster significantly more, so I tried to sell the two-track. But it took a long time, even priced at $150 less than the cheapest copy on Discogs at the time. In the end I did sell it, made a collector quite happy, and put the money toward one of my own holy grails.

I still have my lossless rip of the two-track, and I still think it sounds like crap. :winkgrin:

Chooke and Yost like this.
  18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I am convinced my local store, who has been around forever, tricks us with their lights. I look really carefully at the albums I am considering and they look great until I get home and put one on here and there and it's a mess. Then I look again at my house and see there are numerous issues. Interesting! I think they use old fluorescent fixtures and I guess it can hide some things.

19. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I scored Nancy Sinatra's "Fairy Tales & Fantasies: The Best Of Nancy & Lee" on eBay for $15.00. I didn't realize the seller was from Russia. I'm not sure if it is legit or not.

20. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

How about a selling sob story? I sold a MoFi pressing of Led Zeppelin II to somebody in the heart of Florida during Hurricane Irma. It went to an infamous USPS sorting center where packages frequently disappear, and sure enough, my buyer never saw it. Took him two months to tell me it never arrived, and USPS didn't/couldn't do anything about it. I still feel bad for that guy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.