Shelter Cartridges?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, Aug 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

Anyone out there use them and have any comments?

It seems to be a tad (or even a whole tadpole :D ) out of my price range at the moment. Think I'll be looking at a Benz-Micro Silver, Gold or Glider.

I was told (by the sales guy, naturally) that the Shelter 501 beat the Benz-Micro Ruby!!! Easily!!!

Thanks in advance for any comments.

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Don't have any personal experience with one, Gary, but I did have it recommended to me as well when I was cart shoppin'. You might want to do a search over at the Vinyl Asylum:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/

There seemed to be quite a few fans of that cartridge over there.

3. michael w

michael w New Member

4. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

5. cjc

cjc Senior Member

How about trying a DENON DL-103 MC cartridge. It's sounds quite neutral on my tube based system. They track at 2.3 to2.8 grams, have a conical shaped stylus and are VERY easy to set up. They are very LOW compliant , so a medium mass or heavier tonearm is advised. I have gone from an Ortofon OM series (little trebly) to the Shure M97XE (BORING but good tracker) to the Denon. A HUGE difference i might add.

6. Gary

Thanks, Cjc!

I'll check 'em out but I am leaning towards a Benz-Micro at this point.

7. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I'm amazed that the DL-103 is still around. I first heard one of those in the '70's! It sounded very nice then, I can't help but wonder if it isn't a bit dated now. The spherical stylus was actually an attraction then, but we hadn't discovered yet that VTA made a difference. Nowadays I suspect I'd find it had a bit more inner groove distortion than I'd like (because of the spherical).

cjc, I agree with your assessments: I tried an Ortofon OM-10 (admittedly the low end) and found it horribly clinical and cold. The M97 was perfectly decent and competent, but not terribly exciting.

On the subject of Benz, I have one of the low end units right now (I think probably the cheapest one they sell). It also requires a slightly higher than usual tracking force, and has a bit more inner groove distortion than I like. Also it brings back the occasional problem with sibilance mistracking I'd banished with the Shure V15VMR. I was going to sell it, for those reasons, but then I put on Dave Mason's "Alone Together", and, well dang, those drums sounded good. It turns out to be a very nice sounding cartridge, except on hard-to-track disks. When it falls apart, it falls apart.

Never heard of Shelter, though.

8. Gary

The Shelter 501 is supposedly made by one guy down in the USA. He makes about 400 per year. 300 go to USA comsumption, the rest go to Canada. Or so I was told.

A very rare bird!

9. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

10. Gary

Ahhh, the truth is revealed!

Thanks, Pinknik!!!

11. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Just out of curiousity, how much are these, ball-park?

edit - I checked the URL above and found $800 msrp. Considering what other MC manufacturers are charging, VanDenHul(sp), Benz, Clearaudio Etc., this is reasonable.

12. Gary

I was quoted $200.00 more than the B-M Ruby which is at $1,500.00. So that's $1,700.00.

$800.00 US is $1,200.00 ~ $1,300.00 Canadian....

Hmmmmm, what's wrong with this picture..... hmmmmm..... :mad:

;)

13. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I paid $1000.00 for the Ruby2 which was a "re-tip" from Benz. From what I understand when a cartridge is sent in for re-tipping to Benz you essentially get a New cartridge and the re-tip you supplied is sent through a process.
    Whatever I like the way my Ruby2 sounds in my system.
    I have a late model LP12/Ittok LVIII/Valhalla/Cirkus and the Benz with a Pass Labs Aleph Ono. The combination suits my ears. There is a little more weight when comparing same titles/masterings, Steve's, compared to my Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1 which I like.
    But back to your observation, maybe the link I was viewing had an old MSRP? I'd check with other outlets to verify the price and present your findings to the retailer who has been working with you. If they have been honest and imparted good information to you I would honor them with the sale.
    That's just me but if a local retailer helps me out I try to reciprocate. I generally find most realize the challenge regarding mail order/internet sales and find they'll meet, beat or get real close. Having a local place to discuss, question and acquire information is a valuable resource. On the other hand I have found a lot of mail order/internet retailers are good for only price. Plus I always rather a local retailer to return broken or defective merchandise.
    But as I assume you know all this and we all find retailers who talk up their selection and dis the others. That's another story and I have run into retailers who have cut their own throats if they think I was buying their opinion.

14. Gary

I understand and agree with you 100% Terry (Shakey). Building a relationship and trust with a reputable dealer is an invaluable asset!

I'm pretty confident that I'll be giving this one particular dealer most, if not all, of my business.

Thanks for the advice.

Actually, thanks to everyone who responded to this thread - in replies and PMs. I really appreciate it!

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.