"Shine a Light." Martin Scorsese's Rolling Stones' docu

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobo U2, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Keith's performance in this film is shockingly bad. As you noted above, it's one thing to be "tight but loose," it's quite another to be completely and totally disconnected from the rest of the band, rhythmically, melodically, in every possible way. That Ronnie had to play guitar on "You Got the Silver" while Keith staggered around and croaked/mumbled the lyrics hideously off-key says it all.

In the 70s, and arguably into the 80s, Keith was Dorian Gray - somehow still young, sexy, gorgeous, and the greatest rhythm guitarist in the world despite all of the self-inflicted abuse - now he is the ravaged portrait, and it's not pretty. Shine a Light features a band with only two surviving original members - Mick and Charlie. Why Charlie sticks around at this point is beyond me.

2. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

His (Micks) endurance is amazing.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  3. filper

filper Forum Resident

Maybe it's time to pull a Star Trek...

The Rolling Stones TNG :)

I like the Blu of 'Shine A Light'.

4. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I defy anyone to single out a 65 year old man in the shape that Mick Jagger is.
    Do you know what it takes to stay in shape like that? Most 65 year old men look like Wilfred Brimley.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  5. BRush

BRush Senior Member

I'm sure the money is too good for Charlie to walk away.
    I understand that Keith suffers from bad arthrytis. I still get a lot of pleasure seeing Mick and Keith play off each other. I think their touring band Daryl Jones, Chuck Level, Bobby Keys, Bernard, Lisa and Blondie are all top shelf players and are very much part of the band. I hope Keith is healthy enough for another tour, but if not "Shine a Light" is a nice goodbye. Sure it's not "Exile on Main Street", but that was almost 40 yrs ago

6. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Hell, it's always been about smoke and mirrors, but that's just utterly pathetic.

:rolleyes:

U2 have been accused of doing the same when taping their shows for future DVD release (i.e. filling the front sections with 'younger' fans), although they've denied it.

Pathetic.

7. dead of night

When Mick and Keith were singing Girl With The Far Away Eyes together, did Keith sing "Oh shut up" instead of resolving the chorus, once during the performance?

8. dead of night

Were those very hot, adoring young girls in the front really paid extras, and not ticket buyers? Is that true?

9. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

That's been my attitude towards them for the past decade. At some point it stops being just about having fun and veers towards sabotaging your past. Keith is, at times, shockingly bad.

10. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Eagles did the same. Hired models for the front row to dance.

I think Alex Lifeson of Rush is poking fun at this on the new DVD. He has a row of Barbie dolls holding signs up just in front of his effects pedals. Pretty funny.

11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

They were the World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band until Bill Wyman left. Since then, it's been self-parody. I prefer Mick's recent solo stuff to anything the band has done since Steel Wheels.

12. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Wow, even "Goddess in the Doorway"?

I just can't get into that album at all. I thought that was a HUGE step down from "Wandering Spirit", which was a fantastic album.

Even "She's The Boss" & "Primitive Cool" are comparitively pretty decent, compared to "Goddess", IMO.

13. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

That was the very first thing I noticed about this snoozefest; 20 year old's do not pay that kind of $$$ to go see a band of their grandfathers age. How obvious. Did the Stones really think they were going to fool anyone with the glamourous looking kids down front?? C'mon.

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sez you! :D

The Stones were BETTER immediately after Wyman split. They coasted through the Steel Wheels Tour, but they were great on the Voodoo Lounge tour. I think the majority of the people who accuse the Stones of "self-parody" over the last 20 years haven't actually SEEN them much, if at all... :shrug:

j3brow and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  15. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Bill Wyman was the once defining bassist to their sound and absolutely killer with Charlie Watts. Yet Darryl Jones is a great bass player who complements their sound. I loved them with Bill as well.

Agreed…The last two tours were the best I have ever seen them. It's easy for people here to slag the Stones. "Shine A Light" has some great moments and some awkward ones. Keith Richards is Keith who's an easy target. As any 60's band / artist in this late stage of their career they can have good nights and bad nights.

16. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Keith's playing went down the tubes after the palm tree incident, though. The band was on fire in early '06... MSG, Buenos Aires, Rio, Superbowl... compare those gigs to Austin on the Biggest Bang set and the Beacon in Shine A Light and the difference in Keith's quality is pretty stunning.

Though Ron did step up and cover for him... thus returning Keith's favor from the late '90s.

17. davers

davers Forum Resident

Interesting discussion...by coincidence I was watching "Shine A Light" today and wondering about Keith's performance even before I stumbled across this thread. Even though I do enjoy this DVD, Keith can be a bit distracting. It almost seems like has to make a big theatrical procuction out of every guitar lick or riff. Although he does fine in some songs, I found myself wishing he would just drop the theatrics and get into the rhythm of the songs a bit more! From my memory of the first two Stones tours I attended (Tattoo You and Voodoo Lounge), Keith spent more time grooving to the rhythm and less time acting out every lick or riff he was about to drop on the crowd.

I wonder if I am being too harsh...I have always loved his playing on the records.

18. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I watched this again over the weekend, great on BD!
    The only thing that ruins it for me is the fake audience at the front (takes me out of the show), and the sound level variations.

Also, I couldn't get over how Charlie Watts looks like Javier Bardem (of No Country for Old Men fame) in the 1960's interviews..! :eek:
    The bit where you can lip read Mick saying to Watts "It's ****ing hot," making him laugh was pretty funny too!

19. rickharper

rickharper Forum Resident

I still can't understand why they turned "Satisfaction" into a half-time durge.

20. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yea, It look's great on BD. Close ups of Keith are kinda scary. The performance has it's up and downs. The Mix is about who's in the frame for that given second. Wierd mixing concept that worked better in the dynamic of an IMAX theater. I wonder if it was Bob Clearmountains or Scorsese's idea ?

21. It was probably both their idea...remember this was a theatrical movie intended for a REALLY BIG screen! This kind of mix works best in that scale of presentation. IMAX screens are flat-out huge and are intended to deliver spectacular images. The sound design has to match that scale and enhance the experience of seeing the performer up close.:agree:

22. Grim177

Grim177 Forum Resident

I need to pick up an NTSC copy, my PAL version sounds like The Stones on helium (to me anyway) with the speed-up so I've yet to get through the whole thing :sigh:

23. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

How's the 5.1 surround for the DVD?

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

25. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

I finally got around to seeing this recently. Man, are Keith and Ronnie Wood horrible now.......Their playing is really a joke at this point. Actually it's been bad for years........ Time to hang it up..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.