"Shine A Light"...New Rolling Stones movie Soundtrack...Anybody Heard?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by crimsoncing, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I picked it up today, going to see the film on Friday night. What's nice about this 2 CD set is that there are at least a few deep cuts that they don't normally play live. Nowhere near as good as disc 2 of "Live Licks" in that respect, but the inclusion of "Connection" alone makes it pretty exciting for me. :)

2. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Hope it didn't give away the ending to the movie!:D

3. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

One thing I liked about the movie soundtrack is that when a camera does a close up on, say, Keith Richards (or any of the musicians) their respective instruments slightly rise out of the general mix. :)

4. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

The spoiler was "Far Away Eyes" this version is a smoker. Even my wife said let's wait and see the film before we listen to the sound track. I didn't listen her either, once again. :shake:

5. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I have the two disc version. It's not bad. The track selection is decent and it's nice to hear live versions of Some Girls, Far Away Eyes and Loving Cup among others. After listening to As Tears Go By, I really think they should have used a string section for that song. It would have made a huge difference and it could looked very cool in the film.

6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

There's a special guest on this album who doesn't belong in the same zip code as the Stones, much less onstage with them, and his name isn't Buddy Guy. Or Christina Aguilera.

7. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Wow, a hand picked crowd to look good for the cameras. The regular crowd won't do. I guess the days of girls rushing the stage, trying for a lock of Mick's hair and subsequent toss or fling (literally) back into the crowd by security, are long gone. Almost as bad as the fake live songs-Fortune Teller /I've Been Loving You Too Long on "got Live if you want it!" At least with got live the Stones had an excuse what little or no control over (U.S.) releases. I'll still buy the CD though.

8. I'd be interested in reading some opinions along these lines too. Also, who is credited with the mastering?

9. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

Ah...why you still be hatin' on Woody after all these years? :laugh:

10. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Stephen Marcussen.

11. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

I don't know how much of this is true. I attended the show...I was VERY lucky when the remaining few seats went on sale via Ticketmaster. $25! No doubt, the best $25 I have ever spent.

12. Larry Geller

OK, I just got back from Target. NO DVD, it WAS a misprint. They had the 2-CD version. Weird that it's on Polydor.

13. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Thanks for the info, Larry. I figured it was a mis-print, but you never know!

14. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I don't think the deluxe edition is a Best Buy exclusive. I bought a deluxe 2 CD set at my local indie shop.

15. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Oh, for me it's a souvenir as I was at the 2nd concert on November 1st. Cried most of the night, with joy, and now listening to this disk the eyes are getting moist again. The guitars crunch, Charlie is a powerhouse, and when I close my eyes I can see us all up in that balcony, not singing, but screaming the lyrics along with the Boys, our Boys, our rock and roll Boys.

16. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Any word on a vinyl release?

17. Larry Geller

It's not.

18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

There was an article I read recently about how Mick edited two of the songs (Sympathy For the Devil - drops the lines about the Kennedy's, Some Girls - drops what black girls just wanna do all the time) because former President Clinton and his wife were in the audience. Champagne & Reefer was left alone, though. Kinda disappointing that they would do that. I don't think Bill and Hillary are so fragile that they couldn't take the songs intact.

19. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Well, I guess the Stones never were all that radical, when push comes to shove. Remember when Ed Sullivan made them change the lyrics of "Let's Spend the Night Together" to "Let's Spend Some TIME Together" ..
    and they DID it ? :)

20. CHARLOOTZ

CHARLOOTZ New Member

The Stones haven't sung the line about the Kennedys in SYMPATHY for quite some time...

21. street legal

street legal Senior Member

If that's the reason that Mick did that, (in "Some Girls") then that is just sad. Listening to the CD today, I noticed that right away. That's the part I listen for when I hear that song, only because it's so obvious.

So Clinton can do what he did in the Oval Office, but Mick Jagger is supposed to bow down & play it clean for HIM?!?!? Oh, the irony .........

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Really? I guess I'll have to listen to some boots or other live material. I didn't notice it missing when I've seen them do it live, but I wasn't listening for it. Its one of those things where once you know its not there, it stands out. I'll always listen for that line if I watch or listen to a live performance of the song now.

23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Jagger has never sung the black girls line live! Some Girls was first performed in concert on January 25, 1999 in Oakland on the opening night of the No Security tour, and Jagger changed the lyric to white girls, and continued to sing it that way at all subsequent shows. That line is missing from the SAL soundtrack album, but I don't know if it has been edited out or whether he just chose not to sing the line. Jagger has subtly changed the words to several songs over the years.

24. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Gee, I wish I could change some of the things I've said over the years. More power to him.

25. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Don't know about the new release, but per recent live albums and DVDs Mick Jagger doesn't sing "Brown Sugar" as it was originally recorded, either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.