Should I still be afraid of Onkyo?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by markshan, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markshan

markshan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I need a receiver with more than three HDMI inputs. Also, while I am largely happy with the sound of my Denon in my system, there are certain times that it seems a bit veiled. I'm thinking the brighter signature I'm used to from Onkyos (the one that turns JBLs or Klipschs into ear bleeders) may be a good match for this particular setup. But I am weary of the well reported problems with Onkyo HDMI boards. The fact that Accessories for Less had amazing sales on them at the moment both tempts me and frightens me. Are they trying to win back consumer trust or are they trying to unload problem units?

Thoughts? Experiences?

H8SLKC likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

"Onkyo mad, fire bad!"

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I've had my Onkyo for decades, it has yet to attack me.

4. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Truly, I thought at first glance the thread title was, "Should I still be afraid of Yoko?"

WapatoWolf, StimpyWan, Frosst and 3 others like this.
  5. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

[​IMG]

6. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

Onkyo solved their HDMI plug problem a few years ago. I bought my Onkyo through Crutchfield online, but had a friend visit their store and chat with the store reps about it before I made my purchase. I've had my receiver now for a couple years with no probs. You could always spend a few extra bucks, as I did, and purchase an Onkyo warranty directly through the Onkyo website once you have your receiver in hand (you'll need the purchase receipt and serial number) -- but the purchase *must* be made through an authorized Onkyo dealer!

7. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Yes, this beast deserves your fear!

[​IMG]

8. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

My Onkyo 808 from 2010 is still working fine. I gave it plenty of space around it and so far so good.

PooreBoy and DRM like this.
  9. markshan

Thanks.

10. markshan

Should I still be afraid TO PURCHASE an Onkyo?

BETTER!?!

11. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

I have a TXNR1008 in my Home Theater and according to all the posts on the internet is should have long died by now but it works just fine. When I finally make the jump to Atmos, it will replace a refurbished TXNR414 ion my living room that should also be having problems and I guess they must have fixed any issues it had when it was refurbished because it's been going strong for years as well.

I hope I just didn't jinx myself.........

markshan likes this.
  12. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

In an alternate universe, Blue Öyster Cult wrote a song, "Don't Fear the Onkyo." It never was a hit and instead, for the last 18 years the band has had a standing gig playing disco covers Tuesday through Saturday night at a Holiday Inn in Laughlin, Nevada.

13. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

My mind put Yoko there after I read...Should I still be afraid. PLUS, her last name starts with On. What if I've suddenly become dyslexic? Will that eye chart still be useful? Speed reading isn't foolproof, clearly. Although, in general, it's proven to be very useful. This is what I might have subconsciously been afraid of, played through an Onkyo.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  14. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I have 2 Onkyo amplifiers and would never think of being wary of them. Of course, they ARE analog only.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    H8SLKC likes this.
  15. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

is this NORAD?

16. moops

moops Senior Member

I've had a TX-NR609 for quite a few years now and I've never had a drama with it.
    The rumours that Onkyos were hard to get along with and intimidating were blown out of proportion.
    They're big softies under that hard exterior.
    My 609 and my toaster play together like puppies.

royzak2000, H8SLKC and ggergm like this.
  17. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid (of Yoko).

18. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

Onkyo AVR owner a TX-NR838 never have had a problem with it. I like it better than my Denon, that's in another system. I was also told by my Onkyo dealer that the HDMI issues were addressed.

markshan likes this.
  19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've been using the same Onkyo for 14 years and it's not konked out in any way yet.

It's 6 channel x 100 watts. No MDMI, but my Oppo handles the multichannel decode (from server or disc), analog to the Onkyo.

The phono pre-amp is clean rich and clear. If it ain't broke I'm not going to fix it. But I would consider adding a stereo DAC to make red book sound as great as vinyl does (if that is really possible), I read here it can be done.

Onkyo and Yamaha both proven war horses.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I remember when Onkyo had it's days of glory and I wanted some. I think it was in the late 80s, IIRC.

21. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

22. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

I think you see more Onkyo receivers on close out, than perhaps other brands, is the fact that Onkyo tends to be more cutting edge than most brands. When a new "widgit" is introduced, Onkyo is typically the brand that introduces this new feature before the rest. That's great, but it also seems to obsolete Onkyo AVRs quicker too. Great for consumers, because you can buy at discount. But, it does make people wonder why Onkyo gear is always on close out?

As mentioned above, Onkyo is still sold at Crutchfield, so, I think you're safe to buy Onkyo. I doubt that Crutchfield would support a problematic brand.

Guildx500 and markshan like this.
  23. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

the integra line is ok, regular onkyo has QC issues, and should be bought ONLY from a dealer or amazon, where a return is made easy. all i have to say about onkyo. used to be a fan, had a couple pieces back n the very early 90's, did last me a many years, but their quality has definitely declined over the y ears.

markshan likes this.
  24. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I bought an Onkyo HT receiver from AccessoriesForLess back in 2015 and it works perfectly.

markshan and StimpyWan like this.
  25. markshan

It's actually the Integras that are on 75% off sales. I was a bit confused because they no longer say "Onkyo Integra", just "Integra". So, that still is the Onkyo line? They weren't bought out by someone? I wonder why they dropped the Onkyo?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.